Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While it was mostly what I expected the Santa Cruz ain't no tiny truck. It's bigger in many ways than I expected. It stands taller all around than I thought it would and the handling and performance have far exceeded my expectations. It can run with the big dogs all day long and can out maneuver them to boot.
My SC got thrown into the fire so to speak almost immediately after leaving the dealership. I had to drive from Nashville to Pigeon Forge TN. While that drive is no I-5 Grapevine or 1-40 Black Mountain it is far longer than either of those and has its share of substantial grades and progressive curves and switchbacks. To make the drive more challenging it rained very hard most of the way. It rained so hard at times most of the 4 wheelers pulled off the highway. The Santa Cruz took it all in stride without a hiccup. Going with the turbo AWD was the best decision I've made in a long time. Except for the most extreme corners the AWD was comfortably able to maintain a speed of 80 Mph. It couldn't be easier to drive and the handling is superb. I am pleased beyond my wildest dreams. The photo with the rainbow was Santa Cruz smiling wanting to go some more.
Tire Land vehicle Car Plant Wheel
Tire Rainbow Wheel Car Sky
Automotive parking light Wheel Cloud Vehicle registration plate Tire
Cloud Automotive tail & brake light Tire Plant Vehicle
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Cloud Wheel Sky
Automotive parking light Wheel Cloud Vehicle registration plate Tire

I included a few photos. I was hoping to get some better pics of the SC with mountain Vistas in the background but there were just too people out in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park today. There was always someone in the way.

***Mods... Looks like I attached duplicates of some of these photos. I'm using a phone and when I try to edit to remove them I'm only seeing them but once. Please remove the dupes.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Congrats! I "reserved" a Sage Green SEL with AWD and activity package. Hampton Gray is what's on the way. The more I see it, the more I like the Hampton.

What kind of mpg did you get on your trip?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats! I "reserved" a Sage Green SEL with AWD and activity package. Hampton Gray is what's on the way. The more I see it, the more I like the Hampton.

Thank you.

This you won't believe.

Lol, that was going downhill in the park.

All I have to go by at this time is what the display showed and I'm not sure sure how accurate it is. But it looked like around 23mpg on the I-40 stretch between Nashville and Pigeon Forge. That seems too high considering how fast I was driving for most of it.

I haven't filled the tank yet and done the calculations manually. I will do that on the way back home to Eastern NC tomorrow.

I have a lot of learning to do with regard to all the electronics and gizmos on the steering wheel. About all I know how to do is set the cruise control.
Speedometer Vehicle Car Gauge Motor vehicle

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did the tonneau cover keep the bed dry in the rain?
It was raining hard when I got to the hotel so I just ran into the room and didn't look. It was dry in the morning morning though.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well that's great news! I've never really trusted any of the dash mpg calculators, but that's what we have to go by
As I said I need to read the manual and get everything configured like I want it. I don’t even know how to get it to display how much fuel is in the tank. Right now it just shows the estimated miles I can drive before empty. Also the darn trip info display seems to reset at random times after I turn the engine off. I need to figure out how to fix that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

You'll like the Hampton Gray. As other's have said it's Chameleon like depending on the light. At times it looks like a medium gray, other times it has a bluish hue and sometimes it seems to have an olive tint to it. It's definitely interesting.

Regarding the Santa Cruz in general a lot of people have made positive comments. In fact twice when I was backing out of parking spaces the proximity sensor started going off because there were people behind the vehicle pointing and trying to get a closer look.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for the detailed driving review. The night I picked mine up I was in a torrential downpour on the highway and even with pooling water in places it did fine as well.

I don’t even know how to get it to display how much fuel is in the tank. Right now it just shows the estimated miles I can drive before empty. Also the darn trip info display seems to reset at random times after I turn the engine off. I need to figure out how to fix that.
The gas gauge is actually just above the number of miles to empty, blending in with the speedometer.

Regarding the Santa Cruz in just one a lot of people make positive comments. In fact twice when I was backing out of parking spaces the proximity sensor started going off because there were people behind the vehicle pointing and trying to get a closer look.
Everyone looks to read what it is... fun watching them mouth the word Santa Cruz as they read it. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the detailed driving review. T

The gas gauge is actually just above the number of miles to empty, blending in with the speedometer.

Everyone looks to read what it is... fun watching them mouth the word Santa Cruz as they read it. :)
Thank you
Thanks for the detailed driving review. The night I picked mine up I was in a torrential downpour on the highway and even with pooling water in places it did fine as well.

You're welcome and Thank you for the fuel gage info.

Interesting you said that about people mouthing Santa Cruz. That's exactly what I saw them doing too.

·
Registered
476 Posts
@_metafizik, thanks for the reviews on performance and those great pictures with gorgeous backgrounds. It looks like you are really ridin' in style!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts