Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,245 Posts
Ah, youth marketing at executive prices. A winning combination. LOL I guess they're hoping the base models appeal to the younger buyers ... and the Limited trim to the more affluent crowd.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, youth marketing at executive prices.
It's your standard feel young again campaign. Nobody is going to actively market to older people, not even Buick despite that being their bread-n-butter demographic. Not sure any of the "kids" in this video could afford a SC ;) since I passed the big 50 this year I've noticed I'm not older... instead everyone else is getting younger somehow :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I bought my Honda Element in 2005, I was exactly the age/demo they were advertising towards, and yet the only other people I saw driving them were grandmothers. I have been chasing a vehicle that I will love as much as I loved that Element (it lasted 11 years before rusting away), and I hope that the SC will be the one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Same with the Kia Soul. At the time it was marketed to millennials with the whole breakdancing hamster thing,

But it was actually bought by blue hairs as it has very easy entry/exist. Don't have to squat and slide in, nor do you have to hoist yourself in.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Clearly targeting the young, adventuresome, sports-loving market. Whole ad has a very California-cool vibe to it.
More than that, what is unusual is that they are emphasizing females (well over half the screen time and closeups) and "firsts" in that ad, implying it should be a first vehicle as well (or at least first new vehicle purchase).

If you look up demographics for half-ton pickups in the US, you can see that its a very focused niche of almost entirely affluent white males (triple digit incomes) at the age of 56 and closer to their last rather than first vehicle. I remember every Ram 1500 commercial was generally focused on country image with "Guts. Glory. Ram", clearly catering to that market.

If you watch the Maverick commercials, you can see a similar new focus like the Hyundai, although also very heavily marketed to the black American community which by contrast wasn't at all represented in that Hyundai commercial but make up the majority in all the Ford Maverick commercials I've seen so far.

So it looks like they are going after untapped niches with this new smaller pickup segment (even if Hyundai won't even call it a pickup).

·
Registered
833 Posts
Did anyone notice two people sitting on the tailgate!
I don't think can say don't do it if their ads promoting it.
Isn't it a 300lb weight limit? I seem to recall reading some really low number a while back. Notice they used two thin girls, and not two 200lb males, heh. Speaking of, I haven't seen anyone take off the SC tailgate yet, even though that is probably recommended when rolling up motorcycles and what not as I could see someone easily exceeding the weight limit as even a little Honda Grom is about 250lbs once you add in all fluids, so before the front tire touches the bed that's 250lbs + say 200lbs person pushing it up, you're at 450lbs already.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,207 Posts
B-roll? Blue Stone off roading…
All the manufacturers are targeting females these days. Woman are now independent and make their own decisions. It's a huge market. I believe bigger than the male market (more woman than men in the world, I think).

I got a good laugh at the "shift" in the middle of a drive down what looks like HWY 101 on the coast of California. It's an automatic! :LOL:

PS: Hasn't it been established that the tailgate weight rating while parked is 500lbs on the Santa Cruz and 400lbs on the Maverick?

·
Registered
225 Posts
All the manufacturers are targeting females these days. Woman are now independent and make their own decisions. It's a huge market. I believe bigger than the male market (more woman than men in the world, I think).

I got a good laugh at the "shift" in the middle of a drive down what looks like HWY 101 on the coast of California. It's an automatic! :LOL:

PS: Hasn't it been established that the tailgate weight rating while parked is 500lbs on the Santa Cruz and 400lbs on the Maverick?
I had commented in an earlier post that I found the styling "feminine", apparently that is the initial target audience. Wouldn't be surprised in the future the Santa Cruz gets the "N" treatment, would be a perfect candidate for it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had commented in an earlier post that I found the styling "feminine", apparently that is the initial target audience. Wouldn't be surprised in the future the Santa Cruz gets the "N" treatment, would be a perfect candidate for it.
I think the N treatment already exists, since its getting the turbo option, up to 20" wheels, 8-speed DCT, special black chrome grill, etc. I mean, look at the Tucson N-line, its just an appearance package with the naturally aspirated 2.5, so you'd think a Tucson N would just be the same thing with the turbo engine, which the Limited SC already is.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think the N treatment already exists, since its getting the turbo option, up to 20" wheels, 8-speed DCT, special black chrome grill, etc. I mean, look at the Tucson N-line, its just an appearance package with the naturally aspirated 2.5, so you'd think a Tucson N would just be the same thing with the turbo engine, which the Limited SC already is.
Hyundai has an N and an N Line. The N has performance mods and the N Line, as you stated, a trim package; I'm thinking more like the upcoming Kona N, as opposed to the existing Kona N line. Does get confusing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hyundai has an N and an N Line. The N has performance mods and the N Line, as you stated, a trim package; I'm thinking more like the upcoming Kona N, as opposed to the existing Kona N line. Does get confusing.
I could be happy with an N-Line, the extra power they put into an N would just get me in trouble. I think getting rid of the gray plastic body pieces on the N-Line help the appearance greatly on the Kona and would look good on the SC.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
748 Posts
At the moment, I can't really think of an engine that Hyundai would put in a proper SC N. We already have pretty much the most powerful 4 banger FWD/AWD powertrain in the SC limited.
The GDI only FWD engine seen in Veloster N and Kona N is not enough for a 4000 pound vehicle like SC to be called "N"
And they are definitely not going to put the duel injection 3.3 liter V6 Turbo (seen in GV70) because it's RWD biased, not compatible with SC design.

Maybe they have something in the work, or just tune the **** out of the 2.5T of the limited and call it an N. We'll see

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm familiar with N-Line and N, my point was that the Santa Cruz Limited with the 2.5T and 20" wheels IS already a N model without the badge. After all, the Tucson N-line is appearance but with only 190hp, and if they were to make a true Tucson N, it would just need to use the turbocharged engine, right? Remove the trunk of a hypothetical Tucson N and add a bed and what do you have? The Santa Cruz Limited we are already getting.

Whether or not Hyundai puts a sticker on the vehicle or not, the "N" treatment was already applied to the Santa Cruz as its highest trim. I mean, the only other thing they do is paint the plastic trim body color, which frankly looks pretty horrible and is something I hope they don't do on the Santa Cruz. The Kona N looks like garbage with the plastic trim painted IMO.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm familiar with N-Line and N, my point was that the Santa Cruz Limited with the 2.5T and 20" wheels IS already a N model without the badge. After all, the Tucson N-line is appearance but with only 190hp, and if they were to make a true Tucson N, it would just need to use the turbocharged engine, right? Remove the trunk of a hypothetical Tucson N and add a bed and what do you have? The Santa Cruz Limited we are already getting.

Whether or not Hyundai puts a sticker on the vehicle or not, the "N" treatment was already applied to the Santa Cruz as its highest trim. I mean, the only other thing they do is paint the plastic trim body color, which frankly looks pretty horrible and is something I hope they don't do on the Santa Cruz. The Kona N looks like garbage with the plastic trim painted IMO.
Cosmetics aside: upgraded brakes, add'l. drive modes, different suspension tuning, Limited slip (which the SC wouldn't need), different exhaust, quicker steering ratio and the NGS button that provides 20 seconds of add'l. boost (power). I realize it's a small segment of buyers that care about any of this, but Hyundai seems pretty serious with their N tweaks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts