Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my first day trip into the San Bernardino mountains yesterday. Attended the Adventure Van Expo at Big Bear to see what was new in the adventure van world these days. Small event, but some real nice rigs (expensive!).

Big Bear Lake was low and Bolder Bay was almost empty. Walked the banks for fisherman in spots to see if the trout were biting, but never even threw a line in myself. Mostly stocker fish caught here and there near the dam.

Scouted the Serrano and Hanna Flats camp grounds. Got to lock the AWD in on some dirt roads just to run it (not needed). Unfortunately the trails I had hoped to drive were closed between Hanna Flats and Green Valley Lake campground. Don't know why?

Here's the SC all dusty in the wild after stretching its' AWD wings near Hanna Flats.
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Hit all four lakes in the area: Big Bear, Green Valley, Arrowhead and Gregory. Someone at Lake Gregory posted this Lightening Trout catch months ago. I've never heard of Lightening Trout before. Apparently they are a stocked gold-orange rainbow trout.

How did the naturally aspirated SC perform you ask? The short answer is very well!

As soon as I hit the mountain road I put it in Sport Mode to hold the gears longer. This worked perfectly for the winding roads as I snaked up the mountain. The SC is no Pikes Peak racer that's for sure, but it did what it needed to do without hesitation or complaint. Body roll was as expected from a small/mid size SUV. Power was never lacking, but not inspirational either. The 8-speed slush-box transmission never seemed to search for gears at all. Very happy about that. Response was instant and without pause even from a dead stop. I'm very impressed by the standard slush-box automatic which performed just like my prior 2012 Mini Cooper (which did occasionally search for the right gear), only with a few extra gears to help it along. I remain impressed with the quiet and smooth ride inside the cab of this SAV.

The technology surprised me a few times. Once backing out of a blind main street parking space onto a two lane drive with big/tall Sprinter vans on both sides of me. As I slowly backed out the SC warned and applied the brakes, even though the coming car was really out of trouble range and moving very slowly (IMO). Then again on the freeway when changing lanes (again out of trouble range IMO). I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. I continue to get the "leading car moving away" warning too. Not annoying at all and 1 out of 5 times it's warranted. Clearly the front windshield and side sensors have distance ability on the base SEL. I haven't tested the rear sensor to its' close distance limits to see if there will be a too close warning and brakes applied automatically yet.

Highway cruising is a dream compared to my Go-Kart like Mini Cooper. Super nice to drive long distance without noise, rough suspension or position pain. The elevated sitting position is great too.

The awesomeness of this purchase is meeting all my expectations so far.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz - Blue Stone / SEL Premium
40 Posts
Awesome! I was up at Heart Bar a few weekends ago. Maybe one day we’ll cross paths! Still haven’t seen another SC on the roads yet…

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to post the miles per gallon for this trip averaged 24.28mpg (manually calculated). Looking good to me!

The computer now states an average 23.5mpg for the first 2,476 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.