Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm really curious if the ride quality and steering feel is really as pronounced as he was claiming, hmmm... he's the only reviewer so far to remark on it being that noticeable, but he's also the only the second one I've seen that has driven both back to back on the same day.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm really curious if the ride quality and steering feel is really as pronounced as he was claiming, hmmm... he's the only reviewer so far to remark on it being that noticeable, but he's also the only the second one I've seen that has driven both back to back on the same day.
I have no doubt that the SC is very good at what it was intended to do, but the bias was also a little evident in this review. That was the first time I have seen any reviewer that critical of the Maverick's handling. Plus, at least in the case of the compared trim levels, there was a pretty substantial price gap. Still, it was good to finally see a true head to head comparison. Can't wait to see many more.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have no doubt that the SC is very good at what it was intended to do, but the bias was also a little evident in this review. That was the first time I have seen any reviewer that critical of the Maverick's handling. Plus, at least in the case of the compared trim levels, there was a pretty substantial price gap. Still, it was good to finally see a true head to head comparison. Can't wait to see many more.
]
The price gap narrows significantly once you add the luxury package and almost even when you add in the first edition package.
As tested, it’s not apples to apples, when comparing features. Here in Canada, the base package is comparable to the Maverick tested and price wise, it’s close.
Not sure why a venn diagram was necessary to show the price points lol
Honestly, I thought he was biased toward the Maverick till the ride portion.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
943 Posts
The Fraud Maverick, They all yammer on about the low entry price, "but it works its way up as you add stuff" - like a steering wheel, pedals something to sit on - Perfect Click Bait for the you tube reviewers and it also has a 'flex bed system' that's got to be a unique selling point.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reviewer did have some bias, I think most do and this was evident in how he presented the differences in pricing. Considering everything I've read about the two compacts this review really does highlight the different approaches that Ford and Hyundai took. On paper these two are nearly identical - size, payload(ish), developed from crossover. platforms, etc.
Ford took the truck approach, which makes sense. Their biggest moneymaker is the F-150 so why not make an F-150 mini-me? Ride and handling that is comfortable and nimble but still truck-ish.
Hyundai makes great crossovers so why not make one with an open cargo compartment? Some luxury touches (ventilated seats... I'm moving south and will appreciate these), turn-signal cameras, etc.

Maverick will inevitably outsell the Santa Cruz. It is Ford's entry-level car and can, of course, be optioned up. And for someone who needs practicality and room for a family for ~$25k it's a great vehicle. Santa Cruz has a different audience.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Truck King Side by Side Video
Second video to say that the ride and handling of the Santa Cruz is superior. This is a real concern for me, as if I'm downsizing from the Ram I want that car like ride to go with it, and I was honestly leaning towards the Maverick Hybrid when the 42mpg vs 21mpg city of the two 191hp engine options from Ford and Hyundai were announced, as you're quite literally getting the same power but double the economy. I'm really curious to see if the cheaper torsion beam suspension the FWD Mavericks have is even worse, which in theory it should be over a true IRS.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Looks like comparisons are starting to roll in now:

Not as good though, we really need to have these put through their paces on twisties, offroad, drag race, etc and try to keep the trims similar. A bit low effort video this one IMO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Second video to say that the ride and handling of the Santa Cruz is superior. This is a real concern for me, as if I'm downsizing from the Ram I want that car like ride to go with it, and I was honestly leaning towards the Maverick Hybrid when the 42mpg vs 21mpg city of the two 191hp engine options from Ford and Hyundai were announced, as you're quite literally getting the same power but double the economy. I'm really curious to see if the cheaper torsion beam suspension the FWD Mavericks have is even worse, which in theory it should be over a true IRS.
Just because the SC ride and handling is better than the Mav doesn't mean the Mav is bad. Downsizing from a 1500 to a Maverick will feel like stepping into a sports car. How do I know? I just sold my Nissan Titan and am driving my wife's old Escape (1.5L!)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Just because the SC ride and handling is better than the Mav doesn't mean the Mav is bad. Downsizing from a 1500 to a Maverick will feel like stepping into a sports car. How do I know? I just sold my Nissan Titan and am driving my wife's old Escape (1.5L!)
Yeah, really want to drive them myself back to back, but carpocolypse makes that pretty much impossible right now lol!

The reason most trucks drive like trucks is that they are oversprung, meaning the springs are simply too heavy for the amount of weight with the bed empty, so that when its not empty it doesn't massively sag like most passenger cars do when you put even modest tongue weight on them.

My fear is the Maverick is also oversprung, which may be something the Santa Cruz bypassed by using their self-leveling suspension which lets it add spring rate only as needed when sagging under load. Perhaps the FWD Mavericks with their mere 2K lb tow rating will be softer sprung to alleviate that. 🤞

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD
917 Posts
Edmunds puts the Ford Maverick against the Santa Cruz head-to-head. No big revelations honestly, except a more honest description of where these two fit in the market.

I thought he was spot on on most of what he said of the Maverick and Santa Cruz... With the Maverick I noticed the same things... The seating felt weird, I explained it as the seats felt like I was seating on a park bench.., The steering felt heavy/top heavy because of being weighted, the Interior looked and felt cheap, To me the Maverick didn't feel substantial where the Santa Cruz feels heavier..more solid.
I sat down into the Maverick...with the Santa Cruz I sit up into it.
The Maverick was a rocket tho...lol.. The MPG in the short demo I did never got above 19mpg on the computer....The Bronco Sport I drove on the same route never got below 28mpg and did hit 31mpg on one stretch... I realize that this isn't a true MPG because that takes many tanks to get the true Average...But it does tell you it's going to be a battle to get and keep it at the EPA est.
I also found the Santa Cruz handles better..felt more secure in cornering.
Thats my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My take aways from the Edmunds review: the SC real world MPG is impressive. The Mav's tailgate is lower, I was surprised at how high the SC is... major disappointment there. The Mav has a trailer brake controller built in, but its rated to tow less so this comes down to how you feel about aftermarket controllers. Glad he covered the payload thing, the SC has the brunk which is a great feature. The ride quality assessment was an eye opener - if the Mav rides like a truck then what's the point? Just get a Ranger. Also he doesn't like the seating position but that is very personal. I can say I've never felt super comfortable in my parents Escape either, but can't put a finger on why that is. SC is clearly more luxurious, quieter, smoother, sharper handling, all big wins in my book as I don't want another "truck". I could careless about the off road stuff, to me off road is a gravel or sand boat ramp nothing more. The Mav's cheap interior is something you just can't get away from no matter how much you spend. No Nav at all in the Mav? WOW that's almost as bad as the no cruise on the lower trims. Lack of rear center arm rest in the SC is beyond stupid and the SC does lack some storage. The SC does win back some points with the 40/60 fold up back seat and rear AC vents. Styling wise (both interior and exterior) the Mav is major loser to me, but once again that is up to an individual taste.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
No Nav at all in the Mav? WOW that's almost as bad as the no cruise on the lower trims.
I was with ya until this part. I've never used a factory nav that was anywhere close to as good as google maps or waze, and who doesn't already have a smartphone by now? IMO all manufacturers should abandon focusing on their own UI and just make android auto or carplay (perhaps even natively without a phone) their default platform to save the consumer money.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I've never used a factory nav that was anywhere close to as good as google maps or waze, and who doesn't already have a smartphone by now? IMO all manufacturers should abandon focusing on their own UI and just make android auto or carplay (perhaps even natively without a phone) their default platform to save the consumer money.
I agree 100% ...I just assumed a modern vehicle would have navigation. I know recently Nissan eliminated it from lower trims due to the chip shortage so maybe this a trend.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why it seems EVERY reviewer goes on about the marketing bullet point about the "Flex Bed" being able to use 2x4s to divide up the bed - when the Santa Cruz does the exact same thing but never gets a mention. WTF? Also had to disagree a bit with the Santa Cruz losing a point to the Maverick in payload - when it had the higher payload of the two. But whatever. It was honestly one of the best side-by-side comparisons I've seen and overall I agree with his findings. Both good, both very similar in many ways, both also VERY different in a lot of ways. They're really targeting two very different buyers. When you spec the two similarly, the price difference is very small. Choose what fits you/your lifestyle/your preferences.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.