Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"If you can afford it get the turbo."

Right: $6,000 more to get a tonneau cover I don't want, and a transmission I don't trust.
One of my biggest complaints is the lack of configurability. I think a lot would be solved by just allowing one to pick either powertrain, including a hybrid, in all trims, SE, SEL, SEL Activity, SEL Premium, Limited. Even better yet, make it Mercedes style where its not even really about trims, and more just picking the specific packages you are interested in, which is far more a la carte.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I compared the Maverick awd XLT with lux package to an SC awd SEL(Needed luxury package to get power driver seat.)
Almost identical price. Yes more hp and torque BUT at higher rpm for both power and torque. (I was surprised-the 2.0 ecoboost power comes in at really high rpm for a turbo.)

So much, anyway, for lower a Ford price.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
Yeah, Ford only talks about that $20k XL base price. And it's such a stripped down machine ... I don't want to go that far backwards in a new vehicle. When I specced a Maverick as comparable as I could to the Santa Cruz it was literally down to about a $2k difference. And the Santa Cruz at the price was WAY better equipped. Then I have my serious doubts about Ford's build quality (knowing people burned by 3 and 4 year old F-150s who discovered Ford no longer made some parts ... which were broken ... and couldn't get their truck repaired. At all. But they'd be happy to let them trade it in at a loss on a new one!) and I just looked at it for a while ... and it's boring. I mean, there's nothing WRONG with it. It's perfectly inoffensive. But it sure doesn't make me want to stand in a dealer parking lot and just stare at the thing either, y'know?

There is absolutely a solid market for it, and if the SC didn't exist, I'd have been right in line for one myself. Luckily, the SC does exist ... and will soon be mine. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
"If you can afford it get the turbo."

Right: $6,000 more to get a tonneau cover I don't want, and a transmission I don't trust.

All so I can play boy racer...
It is a lot of $ for sure, but as a comparison, consider he price of a high quality complete turbocharger kit. The company Flyin’ Miata makes arguably the best if not the most consistently excellent factory quality turbocharger system for the Miata. It’s a good $6K for the full package (turbo, exhaust manifold, downpipe, intake, intercooler, piping, fuel injectors, ECU and programming. This does not include a heavy duty clutch (a necessity), larger exhaust, or installation. So a factory quality turbocharger with all the accompanying changes with a warranty for $6K is a bargain, plus there are all the other non-power goodies included with the Premium package.
Regarding the DCT, there is a lot if fear about it on the forum as if it’s some new and unproven technology. Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, etc have been using DCTs for over a decade. They have the performance of a standard (manual shift) transmission with the flaws of human misuse removed. A computer can shift better than a human: faster, more consistently and with better “mechanical empathy” (no grinding or clutch abuse). Those who worry about the reliability of DCTs are suffering from ignorance. Sorry for being so blunt; I mean no disrespect. Get informed and be liberated of your fears.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It is a lot of $ for sure, but as a comparison, consider he price of a high quality complete turbocharger kit. The company Flyin’ Miata makes arguably the best if not the most consistently excellent factory quality turbocharger system for the Miata. It’s a good $6K for the full package (turbo, exhaust manifold, downpipe, intake, intercooler, piping, fuel injectors, ECU and programming. This does not include a heavy duty clutch (a necessity), larger exhaust, or installation. So a factory quality turbocharger with all the accompanying changes with a warranty for $6K is a bargain, plus there are all the other non-power goodies included with the Premium package.
The Maverick is a bit lighter though, and their turbocharged option IF you don't mind FWD is only an $1100 option from the base engine, and should be in the same ballpark acceleration wise. Likewise, the base Santa Cruz engine and base Maverick engine should be pretty similar power/weight wise, yet the Maverick is 37mpg combined on regular. That's something Hyundai could compete with if the Tucson's HEV 1.6T hybrid engine were the base. One thing that really reduces the price of the Maverick is that FWD models use a twist-beam rear axle, whereas Hyundai uses the same expensive self-leveling IRS on the base model as the Limited (supposedly even in FWD trims), making apples to apples comparison a bit challenging.

Granted, if you purchase an extended warranty through Ford for 10yr/100K mile, that's not exactly cheap either, and the Ecoboost 2.0 is not a dual port+direct injection like the Hyundai options, so that's another expense to get that cleaned out every 60K miles or so. Another complication is for the time being at least, you can't get a Maverick FWD turbo w/ the tow package, you have to upgrade to AWD which costs a fortune on the Maverick. So the base SC 3.5K beats out the 2K tow rating of the Mav.

If someone wanted to make a Sport Light Utility Truck tm, where you're going to be putting your warranty at risk anyway, putting on lowering springs, your own wheel/tire package, your own headunit and speakers, and what not, then maybe starting with a turbocharged FWD Maverick XL is not a bad option since they are so cheap. Lots of pros and cons.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD No Activity Package
941 Posts
Regarding the DCT, there is a lot if fear about it on the forum as if it’s some new and unproven technology. Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, etc have been using DCTs for over a decade. They have the performance of a standard (manual shift) transmission with the flaws of human misuse removed. A computer can shift better than a human: faster, more consistently and with better “mechanical empathy” (no grinding or clutch abuse). Those who worry about the reliability of DCTs are suffering from ignorance. Sorry for being so blunt; I mean no disrespect. Get informed and be liberated of your fears.
One brands DCT is not another brands DCT. If you plan to do a lot of slow crawling at low speeds on and off road, then a standard torque converter is better at it. It's not just mistrust of Hyundai's relatively new "wet" DCT. We all know for a fact their past dry DCT's have overheating issues.

DCT's also require a bit of knowledge on how to drive with them. As an example, if you are on a hill waiting for a light you don't want to use light throttle and the transmission to hold you in place. This can overheat a DCT, because you are basically slipping the clutch just to sit there (think of doing the same with a manual clutch). It's this constant slipping of the clutch that causes issues in slow off road conditions; thus over heating the DCT.

That doesn't make DCT's bad. They are great transmissions for certain types of driving. I'm not sure how this relatively new Hyundai "wet" DCT will perform in normal use or towing. Towing is a big question at this point. Over time we will know more about how the Hyundai DCT performs in that regard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One brands DCT is not another brands DCT. If you plan to do a lot of slow crawling at low speeds on and off road, then a standard torque converter is better at it. It's not just mistrust of Hyundai's relatively new "wet" DCT. We all know for a fact their past dry DCT's have overheating issues.

DCT's also require a bit of knowledge on how to drive with them. As an example, if you are on a hill waiting for a light you don't want to use light throttle and the transmission to hold you in place. This can overheat a DCT, because you are basically slipping the clutch just to sit there (think of doing the same with a manual clutch). It's this constant slipping of the clutch that causes issues in slow off road conditions; thus over heating the DCT.

That doesn't make DCT's bad. They are great transmissions for certain types of driving. I'm not sure how this relatively new Hyundai "wet" DCT will perform in normal use or towing. Towing is a big question at this point. Over time we will know more about how the Hyundai DCT performs in that regard.
Dry DCT's will only overheat if you don't know how to drive them. I currently own a 2020 Kona 1.6T AWD with Dry DCT and what I tell people is if you have never driven a vehicle with manual transmission before then go with the 2.0L with Torque Converter. Wet clutches can take a lot more punishment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The good thing of Hyundai DCT that online the one implemented in the Lancer Evolution MR and the ralliart is that many cars use it and that bring down cost at the time of dealing with replacements.
I had to sold my lancer because I wasn't ready to cash out 10K to repair an unsupported transmission by a third party shop.
Yes you ready it right. 10 thousand to do it right. Because you have to replace the weak parts or you will face the same issue again. Those transmission fork magnets are known to break, doesn't matter how you drive.

Hopefully, Hyundai idea of using the DCT everywhere will be better for the consumer in the long run.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The turbo is really worth it!
He's got some mountains in the background too, turbos don't care, they just pressurize the thin air but naturally aspirated engines wheeeeez. Luckily, I'm close to sea level, although you'd think below sea level with how often it floods here.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz LTD AWD Hampton Gray
39 Posts
Also, this is the same trans Hyundai uses on their N brand of performance vehicles. These cars are meant to be "track ready", so they must be ready for a beating!

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
I did actually have a dream about one last weekend. A neighbor in my old (decade ago) neighborhood got one before me! Bugger. LOL It looked great though, even in someone else's driveway. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts