Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this bicycle tailgate rack called Latch it Rack (Latchit Rack) in this Ford Ranger video - pretty cool and it appears it would extend the Santa Cruz bed space for bikes since it adds the length of the tailgate.

Just thought I'd share since I've read some people worried about the bed being too short for their bikes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Woah, he says his Ranger gets 15/16mpg? I'm at 19.1mpg this trip (mostly highway) and average 15/16mpg with my 12 year old 400hp heavy Ram 1500 just on my regular errands/commuting.

Rack system is interesting, but he better store that front wheel in the vehicle when using that lock, as that takes about 1 second to remove and walk off with if he's really worried about theft.

I have a similar system on my Ram called the rambox cargo management system that works as both a divider (how its used 99% of the time) and an extender, and IMO it seems more durable and more integrated when stored in the bed. Nice thing is that it can store up to six bikes, but if he's really just doing 1 or 2, a typical hitch rack would work and really those work on crossovers too.

I have to say for the Ranger at least, I'd take a Ram 1500 over it anyday, as we paid the same out the door for it, loaded up with heated/vented leather seats and everything.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
Great rack! That's the perfect setup for Santa Cruz's short bed and it keeps you from accidentally scratching or denting the tailgate; which is always one of my concerns with the tailgate topper pads. Yeah, the lock looks a bit iffy, but better than nothing if just running in and out of a gas station AM/PM or the like. An additional cable lock would make me feel more secure if stopping for dining. I'd still want to park where the bikes are in view from your table though. ;)

Woah, he says his Ranger gets 15/16mpg?
OMG! That's terrible for a 2.3L i4 Turbo. I never trust those dash mileage calculators (BS tech). The scary thing is, they are usually higher than actual in my experience. Fill tank and log mileage, then fill tank again and log mileage and gallons. Calculate! The more times you do it, the more accurate your MPG calculation will be.

Reactions: JASmith and nojovo

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just saw this bicycle tailgate rack called Latch it Rack (Latchit Rack) in this Ford Ranger video - pretty cool and it appears it would extend the Santa Cruz bed space for bikes since it adds the length of the tailgate.
That Latch it Rack does look interesting, I've never seen that before. I guess if I needed to carry 4-6 bikes at once it could be good. But for me, I think I'd likely rather just get a good hitch mount bike rack. I'm usually only traveling with my own bike and the most I'd need to transport at once would be probably be 3.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woah, he says his Ranger gets 15/16mpg? I'm at 19.1mpg this trip (mostly highway) and average 15/16mpg with my 12 year old 400hp heavy Ram 1500 just on my regular errands/commuting.

Rack system is interesting, but he better store that front wheel in the vehicle when using that lock, as that takes about 1 second to remove and walk off with if he's really worried about theft.

I have a similar system on my Ram called the rambox cargo management system that works as both a divider (how its used 99% of the time) and an extender, and IMO it seems more durable and more integrated when stored in the bed. Nice thing is that it can store up to six bikes, but if he's really just doing 1 or 2, a typical hitch rack would work and really those work on crossovers too.

I have to say for the Ranger at least, I'd take a Ram 1500 over it anyday, as we paid the same out the door for it, loaded up with heated/vented leather seats and everything.
That Rambox system looks awesome, thanks for sharing! Can the section divider thingy be used in any other trucks, or just Ram?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought I saw a Fox pad in the Santa Cruz launch photos?

Or was that an OEM pad?

Mtn bike transport is my concern too as I have not seen any hitch info at this point.

Great thread, thank you!

·
Registered
147 Posts
That Rambox system looks awesome, thanks for sharing! Can the section divider thingy be used in any other trucks, or just Ram?
I'm sure there are aftermarket equivalents, but the Rambox one likely only works in the Ram as the bed as special vertical indentations for it, and to attach it to the tailgate as a bed extender has proprietary notches for the Ram.

The more generic ones I've seen are flip-type bed extenders which could work for the SC as long as in the flipped backward position it still clears the brunk.

·
Registered
150 Posts
OMG! That's terrible for a 2.3L i4 Turbo.
4WD + lift + oversized tires = not good. Or maybe he is just a lead foot... its rated to do 20 city. As mentioned if he is using the dash computer and hasn't compensated for the tire size difference that will throw the numbers off for sure.

·
Registered
147 Posts
4WD + lift + oversized tires = not good.
I never drove it, but coworker noted how dog slow a Crosstrek was that he put big offroad tires onto. I also wonder how bad the fuel economy is on those pickups you always hear rumbling down the highway with offroad tires that are not only huge and probably high rolling resistance, but that stick out a mile from the body. I put aftermarket wheels on my truck too, but I made sure offset was right so they didn't stick out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
... I made sure offset was right so they didn't stick out.
Don't know what the current status is, but in Florida the cops used to write you up for tires beyond the fenders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts