Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was your hand resting on the shift lever before you noticed the problem? The first time I experienced the problem I was at a stop light in the left turn lane. I have a tendency to rest my hand on the shift lever while waiting for a light to turn. I made a U turn and once I straightened out going the opposite direction the engine rpm’s increased drastically without much increase in ground speed. At that time I shifted to neutral and back to drive and all was well.

Today while driving in town I turned at a stop light, again with my hand on the shift lever, all was well for a couple of blocks until I had to take evasive action to the right to avoid hitting a jerk who pulled into my lane without looking. Once past the vehicle I attempted to accelerate but the engine rpm’s shot up and not much in forward speed. I was going to shift to neutral again, but I was in traffic and could not look down. For some reason I pushed the shift lever to the right once or twice, things were happening to fast, and the problem was gone. In both cases I did not need to shut the engine off to reset anything.

What I believe happened in my case, and possibly others, is I accidentally moved the shift lever to the left which changes the gear you are in. Depending on how sensitive the system is the change may occur multiple times if the lever is held in that position. The lower the gear the higher the rpm’s. My actions with the shift lever may not be exact since I was hustling to avoid a more serious problem, but the bottom line is I believe I accidentally changed the gear by moving the shift lever without realizing it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Was your hand resting on the shift lever before you noticed the problem? The first time I experienced the problem I was at a stop light in the left turn lane. I have a tendency to rest my hand on the shift lever while waiting for a light to turn. I made a U turn and once I straightened out going the opposite direction the engine rpm’s increased drastically without much increase in ground speed. At that time I shifted to neutral and back to drive and all was well.

Today while driving in town I turned at a stop light, again with my hand on the shift lever, all was well for a couple of blocks until I had to take evasive action to the right to avoid hitting a jerk who pulled into my lane without looking. Once past the vehicle I attempted to accelerate but the engine rpm’s shot up and not much in forward speed. I was going to shift to neutral again, but I was in traffic and could not look down. For some reason I pushed the shift lever to the right once or twice, things were happening to fast, and the problem was gone. In both cases I did not need to shut the engine off to reset anything.

What I believe happened in my case, and possibly others, is I accidentally moved the shift lever to the left which changes the gear you are in. Depending on how sensitive the system is the change may occur multiple times if the lever is held in that position. The lower the gear the higher the rpm’s. My actions with the shift lever may not be exact since I was hustling to avoid a more serious problem, but the bottom line is I believe I accidentally changed the gear by moving the shift lever without realizing it.
My daughter did something similar with the paddle shifter in the old DCT… accidentally hit the paddle shifter, locking it into gear and didn’t know what was going on - she called me and said they engine revs and not shifting…
Im sure some might have done this, I’m actually certain some have…. I think majority is DCT or TCM failure…

·
Registered
252 Posts
My daughter did something similar with the paddle shifter in the old DCT… accidentally hit the paddle shifter, locking it into gear and didn’t know what was going on - she called me and said they engine revs and not shifting…
Im sure some might have done this, I’m actually certain some have…. I think majority is DCT or TCM failure…
It has happened with the standard trans though. I'm hoping tcm and a simple re-flash will fix it once they actually look into it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been making an effort not to touch the shift lever and did not have another issue until yesterday. Stopped at a traffic light to make a left hand turn. Made the turn and then no acceleration with high engine speed. Part of my plan if this happened again was to see if the “D” was still displayed on the instrument panel. The”D” was not but “2” was. I let off the throttle, shifted to neutral and then back to drive and was back in “D”.

While I did not purposely touch the shift lever, I did reach down for my drink while waiting for the light to change. I may have bumped the lever as I pulled the bottle out of the holder. I am now trying to watch the gear display when starting from a stop. I am also going to read up on how to shift to drive from 2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts