Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it looks like the Maverick is going to be revealed in the first half of June according to the Ford Authority web site. I am looking at both since I think they will be the only real competitors in this segment at least to start. It will interesting to see how the Maverick and Santa Cruz will stack up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree! I am not (as of now) interested in the Ford, but as a consumer, the more competition (or factual info on upcoming competitors) works in my favor and against the dealerships. Bring on the competition!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Apparently the reveal is happening on June 8th!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Those Ford videos ^^^^^ sure make it seem like the SC and Maverick are targeting the same market.

I wonder if this will finally force Hyundai to release pricing and more SC details in attempt to steal Ford's thunder. If Ford announces pricing during their reveal and it under cuts Hyundai's plans (as rumored) that might throw a monkey wrench into Hyundai's plans and have them scrambling to prove their product is worth a premium.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hyundai needs to announce pricing etc soon or Ford will steal all the thunder with the Maverick reveal. Of course they could be waiting for Maverick pricing to drop before they price the SC. But at this point the SC should be real close to coming off the production lines.

·
Registered
TBD
49 Posts
It really looks like Ford is coming out swinging and will sway many potential SC buyers. The more traditional styling, longer bed, and known hybrid option makes the Maverick much more appealing to the average person. I certainly prefer the styling of the SC, but if the Maverick can match the 5000lb towing and have the latest co-pilot assist, I'm likely sold.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It really looks like Ford is coming out swinging and will sway many potential SC buyers. The more traditional styling, longer bed, and known hybrid option makes the Maverick much more appealing to the average person. I certainly prefer the styling of the SC, but if the Maverick can match the 5000lb towing and have the latest co-pilot assist, I'm likely sold.
Is the Maverick bed supposed to be longer? Everything I've read has it in the same ballpark as the SC's 4.3' / 52" bed.

It definitely looks like some good competition for the Santa Cruz (y)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Is the Maverick bed supposed to be longer? Everything I've read has it in the same ballpark as the SC's 4.3' / 52" bed.
4'6" so the same. I do like how they added those notches for 2x4s so you can make shelves and other dividers.

One thing that is missing I haven't seen mentioned - the brunk (in bed storage)... they have a bottle cap remover but no cooler for your drinks. Epic fail, this was the hallmark of the Ridgeline and the SC smartly copied it. Guess Ford didn't get the memo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Epic fail, this was the hallmark of the Ridgeline and the SC smartly copied it. Guess Ford didn't get the memo.
I agree... The ability to remove the rear seat tray and make an almost flat surface along with the tray itself taking up very little space.. The trunk... composite bed.. those are the main things pushing me towards a Ridgeline or SC.

I didn't think I would like the Maverick but it does look better than the spy shots would have indicated... however, I think the SC is still better tech/saftey/functionality... you don't even see ventilated seats on the Lariat version of the Mav...

The Mav does look more like a traditional truck.. which is cool... but I think I'm still on the SC band wagon.. MPG numbers don't really matter to me as I just don't drive a lot of miles.

·
Registered
740 Posts
One thing that is missing I haven't seen mentioned - the brunk (in bed storage)... they have a bottle cap remover but no cooler for your drinks. Epic fail, this was the hallmark of the Ridgeline and the SC smartly copied it. Guess Ford didn't get the memo.
I think they would have had to go w/ composite bed to do that. With steel probably not easy to do, but on the plus side Ford says the bed can handle the whole 1500lb payload capacity, whereas Hyundai says of the 1750lbs the vehicle can carry onboard, only around 600lbs can go in the bed otherwise it probably deforms the plastic.

On the plus side, no need to have a spray in liner on the SC, which is an extra IMO must have expense on the Ford.

·
Registered
651 Posts
... Ford says the bed can handle the whole 1500lb payload ...
According to the video (4:40-5:05), only 600 lbs can go into the Maverick's bed and 660 lbs for the SC bed.

·
Registered
740 Posts
According to the video (4:40-5:05), only 600 lbs can go into the Maverick's bed and 660 lbs for the SC bed.
You misunderstood, watch again he says all 1500lbs can be put into the bed, confirmed by Ford. Several other reviewers noted the same.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,020 Posts
Two thumbs up (y)(y) in favor of the brunk! I think the lack of one on the Ford will be a purchase killer for some. It's one of the reasons I always liked the Ridgeline design feature, but not so much the styling.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The Mav does look more like a traditional truck.. which is cool... but I think I'm still on the SC band wagon.. MPG numbers don't really matter to me as I just don't drive a lot of miles.
The non-truck look is what I like about the SC, way more style - but I bet the Ford sells better due to that traditional boxy truck appearance and Ford's truck reputation. After all the F150 is best selling vehicle in the USA by a long shot and has been for the last 39 years :eek: if even a tiny fraction of those downsize this mini Ford will be a common sight on the road.

Ford didn't announce MPG figures for the bigger engine (or did I miss it) but since the larger Ranger mirrors the SC I fully assume the Mav gets more MPG no problem. On the flip side while towing the Mav might suffer as that little engine is going to be worked hard which might explain why they offer upgraded cooling and a different axle ratio with the towing package. The Ranger's towing package is nothing more then a hitch, just like the SC (until we learn otherwise).

·
Registered
651 Posts
You misunderstood, watch again he says all 1500lbs can be put into the bed, confirmed by Ford. Several other reviewers noted the same.
You're correct, @JASmith, somehow I heard him say "600" instead of "1500" (wishful thinking, perhaps?)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to argue the Maverick looks anywhere close to as stylish as the SC, but I think what's going to convince people on the low end spectrum to consider it is the 40mpg and low MSRP in basic configurations. Handling and performance wise, the best Maverick is also going to be pretty lackluster compared to the SC 2.5 Turbo. Its almost like comparing a Ford Escape vs a Mercedes GLA, one is great for the frugal, the other that want a more premium vehicle.
You're correct, @JASmith, somehow I heard him say "600" instead of "1500" (wishful thinking, perhaps?)
No worries, the other question will be tiedown strength. Watched another video that says the tiedowns are rated to 1100lbs on the Ford, which is the same strength as their big ol superduty. Since the bed is composite on the SC, I'm not sure if it will be able to anchor as much weight as going directly into the steel unibody like on the Maverick. May not matter to most, but is good if you're strapping down something heavy and solid that you don't want to go flying in a crash, like we transported an small airplane engine minus prop a couple years back in the Ram's bed.

Other news I learned is that the Maverick gets a 15 gallon fuel tank, which in theory should get you 500 miles or so before the fuel light turns on. That'd be the same range I get with the 32 gallon fuel tank in my Ram, due to the so much worse fuel economy of the Hemi, lol! Curious to see what they reveal is the capacity on the SC.

Also see Ford has shared weight, and the hybrid is a bit of a porker at 3700lbs, a bit over 100lbs heavier than the turbo 250hp engine. Makes me curious how big that hybrid battery is. Hmmm....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Other news I learned is that the Maverick gets a 15 gallon fuel tank, which in theory should get you 500 miles or so before the fuel light turns on.
It is only 13.8 gallon on Ford's site. I though that was way too small but likely only applies to the hybrid.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It is only 13.8 gallon on Ford's site. I though that was way too small but likely only applies to the hybrid.
Oh bummer, yeah I see that now too. I was going based on this video, so like you say perhaps they bumped the capacity only for the less efficient turbo.

Other thing the video informed me is that while the bins are the same for underseat storage, on the hybrid they moved the 12V battery under the passenger rear seat, so you lose a little room.

·
Registered
2 Posts
At least the Santa Cruz supports American workers, were as the maverick does not. Built in Mexico vs built in America. Most of dodge and GM are built in Mexico.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts