Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much speculation, Ford has revealed and announced its unibody truck concept. The configuration web site is live:

Longer bed, hybrid option ............ no piano black.

I get the feeling Hyundai has been holding off announcing the specifics of the Santa Cruz for this very reason. The Santa Cruz packages appear to include many features that are options on the Maverick. They may not be able to compete on base price, but they could choose a compelling price position on mid-to-upper trims.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If Hyundai doesn't get it in gear my reservation on a Santa Cruz Limited is gonna get dropped and a Maverick Lariat FX4 2.0 liter turbo is coming home instead.

·
Registered
150 Posts
WOW an acutal online configuration tool with pricing... are you paying attention Hyundai? This is how you do it.

Some interesting notes: only a 13.8 gallon tank, lots of color choices, a brown interior choice, has decent tech with lane keeping and adaptive cruise.

The interior is pretty basic, analog gauges, normal buttons, etc.

This is looking VERY competitive with Santa Cruz other the tradition / boring exterior. It lacks the extra punch of bigger SC engine and the all around cameras.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are fundamentally different ways for manufacturers to slice-and-dice this new sub-midsize 'trucklette' market.

Already defined by their smaller size, how do they carve out a claim on this buyer pool?

Perhaps, by having a more truck-ish appearrance (that mystical "stance" which Ford harps on)? Or, maybe, slightly larger dimensions of the bed? Higher payload and towing specs? Fuel economy? Luxurious seating?

Mix and match. Give and take. Oh, how uneasy must lie the heads of Design and Marketing.

Santa Cruz is strong on interior space and creature comfort (ala Ridgeline) while Maverick's interior seems more Spartan. But, who knows the pickup truck audience better than Ford?

Hyundai's pricing seems to be dawdling in the doorway, whispering to Ford, "You show me yours first."

Ford smiles slyly and confirms the rumors of a base price of $20K, "So... how much is your Santa Cruz?"

While Hyundai is still considering this, Ford whispers seductively, "Oh! By the way, did I mention that Maverick's standard powertrain is a hybrid?"

For many potential buyers in this market, that sounds a lot like the cannon going off in the "1812 Overture."

·
Registered
34 Posts
WOW an acutal online configuration tool with pricing... are you paying attention Hyundai? This is how you do it.

Some interesting notes: only a 13.8 gallon tank, lots of color choices, a brown interior choice, has decent tech with lane keeping and adaptive cruise.

The interior is pretty basic, analog gauges, normal buttons, etc.

This is looking VERY competitive with Santa Cruz other the tradition / boring exterior. It lacks the extra punch of bigger SC engine and the all around cameras.
No kidding... I can't believe Hyundai still hasn't at least released trim specifics...

The color options are interesting on the Maverick, each trim seems to have different options.

Base XL:

Mid XLT:

Top Lariat:

I think it's smart that Ford is offering some fun colors with the bright blue, yellow, and red...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just priced out a Maverick as I would order it and it's about 37k. Suspect outfitted as I will spec it that's inline with what the Limited Santa Cruz pricing will be.

So pricing is a wash for me. Although it's not really price that's gonna be my deciding factor. I need to go sit in a Bronco Sport and get a feel for ergonomics as I suspect the Maverick will be very similar.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
Ford's New Maverick Is Most Efficient Truck In America
Ford's New Maverick Is Most Efficient Truck America | 2022 Ford Maverick - YouTube

A few initial thoughts:
Ford Maverick is a small unibody "TRUCK" (Not as much of a Sport Adventure Vehicle like the HSC).
Looks better than I thought it would, but still a truck brick design.
A bit of a boring old school base truck interior look with add-on center screen look.
No AWD with base 2.5L Hybrid.
Base 2.5L Hybrid has a CVT transmission.
Have to go with 2.0L Turbo to get AWD and 8-speed traditional transmission.
Base 2wd 2.5L Hybrid towing capacity of 2,000lbs. with 4-pin plug.
Huge turning radius of 40 feet (verses HSC's stated 20 feet - is that real?)
Apple/Andriod car play "IS" standard.
Great stated (not EPA) MPG's!!!
Great 2.5L Hybrid 2WD stated base price of under $20,000.
BUT... An XLT 2.0L Turbo AWD appears closest to the HSC SE base AWD and at a starting price of $27,080 (AWD & destination included).

Okay Hyundai you're up. Where's your pricing and real build suite?

I'd suggest an under $25,000 base with a reasonable AWD & destination charge.

Reactions: treybrad and JMII

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sport Adventure Vehicle is a made up term. What real distinction in utility or function is there between the two?

The interior on the Ford looks cheaper, but it also looks more cheerful and interesting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Still think Ford missed a huge opportunity to call the Maverick a Bronco-Maverick and to style it like the Bronco Sport. I'm also disappointed it didn't get an in-bed trunk like the Ridgeline and the Santa Cruz. But with a full size spare I'm sure that's why that didn't happen. But I've got to say I think Ford has a possible hit on their hands.

Hyundai now knows it's competitor's pricing and feature set. Time for them to step up and get the online configurator up and running with pricing before the Maverick becomes everyone's answer. I'm officially torn now. I was certain the Santa Cruz was my next vehicle. Now I may need to wait until both are on dealer lots so I can do back to back comparisons.

I'm certain the Santa Cruz will be the more 'polished' of the two. I need to see the interior on the Santa Cruz (grey leather with orange piping please) vs the brown leather in the full deck Lariat Maverick. The Ford exterior colors are also superior in my opinion.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
Sport Adventure Vehicle is a made up term. What real distinction in utility or function is there between the two?
IMHO traditional trucks are not sporty, as in sports car like. The HSC is the closest to a sports car truck as they come; thus Sport Adventure Vehicle.

The last sports car like truck that checked off the BMW like sport truck box was the Toyota SR5 that Californians took to like glue and lowered them to make the even more sports car like. That variant didn't have the "adventure" factor like the HSC does.

Styling and expected driving experience will tell the story soon.

Reactions: JMII and treybrad

·
Registered
25 Posts
IMHO traditional trucks are not sporty, as in sports car like. The HSC is the closest to a sports car truck as they come; thus Sport Adventure Vehicle.

The last sports car like truck that checked off the BMW like sport truck box was the Toyota SR5 that Californians took to like glue and lowered them to make the even more sports car like. That variant didn't have the "adventure" factor like the HSC does.

Styling and expected driving experience will tell the story soon.
Don't forget the Toyota X-Runner

·
Registered
150 Posts
The last sports car like truck that checked off the BMW like sport truck box was the Toyota SR5 that Californians took to like glue and lowered them to make the even more sports car like.
I had a Ranger Splash... it was the sport truck of its day. Came lowered from the factory with a different grille and step side bed with neon graphics on the side. Dodge gave us the Dakota R/T and Ram SRT-10 while GMC had the Syclone. Ford had the Lighting too. I'd much rather have a sport / street truck then some lifted off roader which is why I find the SC so appealing: turbo AWD with a DCT? It's basically a lifted VW Golf R with bed :cool:

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
Don't forget the Toyota X-Runner
That's a sport truck that missed my radar over the years. My Toyota SR5 was early 80's 2-door standard cab vintage. I came close to installing a BMW 320i face, wheels and emblems on it back in the day to blow some minds. Ended up trading it in for a 1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon 4X4 when I headed off to college (Looked like a bank teller machine from the rear - lol). I wanted something I could load up with friends and head off to the ski slopes in the winter, plus do some light dirt road wheeling. By todays standards it's the ugliest thing on wheels.

PS: I went from the good old CalBug days as a broke teenager (many from 63-68), to a 1973 Porsche 914 prior to the BMW of trucks, the SR5 pickup. Needed more utility then just like now coming out of a Mini Cooper. Looking back, it's funny how I've gone from sports car to SUV to pickup over the years; much of the time owning one of each.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
I'd much rather have a sport / street truck then some lifted off roader which is why I find the SC so appealing: turbo AWD with a DCT? It's basically a lifted VW Golf R with bed :cool:
You know it's got to be a fun drive in that format. Can't wait to test drive one. I think the HSC in a "N" model will be a good seller in Cal too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
And let's not forget a Burger Motorsports JB4 piggyback ECU will put you at 350 HP and 375 ft lbs of tq give or take the quality of gas you can find.

·
Registered
150 Posts
And let's not forget a Burger Motorsports JB4 piggyback ECU will put you at 350 HP and 375 ft lbs of tq give or take the quality of gas you can find.
:oops: oh snap! I had no idea this was available. This was one of the great things about VWs turbos over the last few years - you are a chip away from BIG boost.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts