Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I reserved a Santa Cruz but after Ford released specs and price, I have to think again. I will give up the look and AWD on Santa Cruz to get more MPG and cheaper price on Maverick. If the Santa Cruz Limited version is under $30K, I might consider.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I reserved a Santa Cruz but after Ford released specs and price, I have to think again. I will give up the look and AWD on Santa Cruz to get more MPG and cheaper price on Maverick. If the Santa Cruz Limited version is under $30K, I might consider.
Unfortunately, I don't think there's a snowballs chance in Antarctica the SC limited comes in under $30K.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
Wondered back to the Ford Maverick build site again because that claimed 40mpg city number keeps haunting me (not proven, only says 40mpg city with 37mpg average is targeted). This time I built a FWD 2.5L Hybrid XLT with Luxury Package; came in at $26,120. Nice Area 51 (Blue/Gray) with nice Blue/Gray cloth interior with Orange piping (not a fan of Gray interiors at all, but this combination reminds me of my 2006 Honda Element which was very livable and unique). Even the stock alloy wheels look okay at the XLT level.

Not sure I could ever own a Found-On-Road-Dead FORD or go without 4WD, but that 40mpg keeps calling my name... Then I once again realize it has a CVT transmission and likely will have the driving excitement of a slow uninspiring brick with wheels and I let out a big disappointing shy.

"I WANT MY HSC!" I shout out loud into the silence of my workspace as if it's the early 80's and MTV has no commercials.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think there's a snowballs chance in Antarctica the SC limited comes in under $30K.
Yeah, it may not be obvious but the Maverick saves money by using cheap hard plastics and what not throughout, and just glancing at the gauge cluster for example you can see the Maverick is built to a budget, the SC is not, especially a limited.

Also, lets not get too premature since right now we're just talking about mostly a paper specs war. A while back I thought the Jeep Compass 4x4 6-speed manual was the ideal vehicle for me, but then I drove one. Didn't like the seats, steering was really numb, turnin was unresponsive, massive understeer, and they had some kind of emissions thing on the tigershark engine so when you put the clutch in with no throttle the RPMs would hang for 3 seconds or so and not drop, combined with the engine that sounded acceptable power on paper but felt really buzzy and overstressed in person.

As they say, the devil is in the details, but I am excited to drive both. (y)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wondered back to the Ford Maverick build site again because that claimed 40mpg city number keeps haunting me (not proven, only says 40mpg city with 37mpg average is targeted). This time I built a FWD 2.5L Hybrid XLT with Luxury Package; came in at $26,120. Nice Area 51 (Blue/Gray) with nice Blue/Gray cloth interior with Orange piping (not a fan of Gray interiors at all, but this combination reminds me of my 2006 Honda Element which was very livable and unique). Even the stock alloy wheels look okay at the XLT level.

Not sure I could ever own a Found-On-Road-Dead FORD or go without 4WD, but that 40mpg keeps calling my name... Then I once again realize it has a CVT transmission and likely will have the driving excitement of a slow uninspiring brick with wheels and I let out a big disappointing shy.

"I WANT MY HSC!" I shout out loud into the silence of my workspace as if it's the early 80's and MTV has no commercials.
This is where Ford has drawn me in here. I've waited for a truly affordable hybrid since car manufacturers started making them. If I had my way, I'd get the base model Maverick hybrid and be done with it, but my Mrs isn't happy with the interior. She still prefers the Santa Cruz interior styling, but she prefers the basic truck look of the Maverick, and I'd rather have mid-to-high 30's combined mpg and FWD (guessing the 40 city is mostly a pipe dream) than low-to-mid 20's mpg and AWD. I drove a FWD Honda Odyssey as a work car for the better part of 5 years, so a FWD pickup will be no problem.

I'm not saying "you're wrong," just saying I (personally) value MPG and practicality above appearance. Both the Santa Cruz and Maverick do it for me where practicality is concerned (ie plenty of cabin room and a short, low truck bed), but the Maverick hybrid the vehicle for me.

I honestly feel like it would be a much, much tougher choice deciding between the AWD Santa Cruz (NA or Turbo) and an AWD Maverick.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah, it may not be obvious but the Maverick saves money by using cheap hard plastics and what not throughout, and just glancing at the gauge cluster for example you can see the Maverick is built to a budget, the SC is not, especially a limited.
Oh its obvious. The exterior styling and interior quality are biggest turn offs regarding the Mav to me. As I said in another thread not matter what options you pick the Mav will always have a $20k interior, where as the SC looks like a $40k interior even in base form.

And for sure you gotta drive these vehicles to get a feel for them. When shopping for my wife's last car she drove a Mercedes and was immediately disappointed. We got an Infiniti instead despite the MB being the better "on paper" car. I have a feeling the Mav is going to be S L O W and not very fun to drive. Trucks have never been very engaging to drive which is why I'm looking for a non-truck that can still do truck-like stuff. I've always been a smaller, sports car guy.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
It could be that the Marverick Hybrid turns out to be the Prius of trucks, but I wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius. I test drove one once and at 6' 2" I couldn't even sit in the rear seat without hitting my head on the ceiling. I'll test drive the Maverick hybrid for sure. I actually hope it checks all the boxes for many buyers that otherwise might be driving a larger truck, SUV or even car.

Could it be that Ford's strategy is to have a low priced high volume selling (including fleets for high numbers) hybrid with high mpg's to meet some kind of "requirement" to let them slide on efficiency rating for their other vehicles? ;) Just a thought that might be true.

Reactions: ToadVine

·
Registered
150 Posts
Could it be that Ford's strategy is to have a low priced high volume selling (including fleets for high numbers) hybrid with high mpg's to meet some kind of "requirement" to let them slide on efficiency rating for their other vehicles? ;) Just a thought that might be true.
My understanding is that is basically how CAFE works: Corporate average fuel economy - Wikipedia Of course the rules are complex with averages, footprints (vehicle size) and credits. This is one of the reasons small trucks have been gone: the rules allowed big trucks to get poor mileage but as vehicles got smaller the MPG requirements were too high and only little eco-boxes could achieve the numbers. However with hybrids and turbos it appears the OEMs have finally made mid-size vehicles (which includes "small" trucks) that can now reach the target.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yup, although the Maverick is really only small by truck standards. Its a 121" wheelbase and 200" long, both bigger than a 7-seater Ford Explorer. A big change from our late Fiat 500, that has a turn radius of 15' and is just over 5' shorter, lol!

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
I honestly feel like it would be a much, much tougher choice deciding between the AWD Santa Cruz (NA or Turbo) and an AWD Maverick.
But probably a no-brainer choice if Hyundai Santa Cruz came in a Hybrid I'm guessing. Also guessing they have one in the works for later release. Maybe the Ford Maverick Hybrid announcement will force their hand now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
But probably a no-brainer choice if Hyundai Santa Cruz came in a Hybrid I'm guessing. Also guessing they have one in the works for later release. Maybe the Ford Maverick Hybrid announcement will force their hand now.
I'm thinking the same, and actually will probably bag on going with the ICE SC and wait for the HEV/PHEV.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
Sport Adventure Vehicle is a made up term.
Yep, and so is just about everything in this crazy up is down, right is left world we live in at the moment. One only has to look back at the last 1-1/2 years regarding: COVID, the presidential election, vaccines and our financial system itself. All made up for one reason or another and changing with each narrative of the moment.

Most people never take the time to think about our financial system and where money itself comes from; which is completely made up out of thin air by humans. Today it is backed by nothing but your faith and confidence in the US government continuing to exist and control it. It's past backing by gold (something real) is long gone. Be it SUV, UTE, SAV, car, wagon or truck; it's all made up in an attempt to differentiate this from that, and market them to you for purchase with completely artificial made up money!

The Golden Rule has morphed from "He who has the gold, makes the rules" to "He who controls the monetary printing presses, makes the rules." The central bankers that are insulating their walls with hundred dollar bills should be taken out and...

In the mean time as we wait for pricing, here's your new marketing theme song (MTV = SAV): "I want my SAV!" (You can write the other adventure words and video of the Santa Cruz in action...)

Money For nothing...

Reactions: ToadVine

·
Registered
4 Posts
:oops: oh snap! I had no idea this was available. This was one of the great things about VWs turbos over the last few years - you are a chip away from BIG boost.
Have a JB 4 in my Infiniti Q50S, if there's one available for the Cruz that will most likely seal the deal over the Maverick.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Burger already has a JB 4 for the 2.5T Hyundai motor.

Imagine a Santa Cruz with 350HP and 400TQ conservatively tuned

·
Registered
7 Posts

Burger already has a JB 4 for the 2.5T Hyundai motor.

I would imagine needing to do some engine upgrades or expect a much lower lifespan with such an increase. If you use this vehicle as a truck and although infrequently take it into higher elevations I wouldn't be very cautious about tuning my vehicle. The reliability will certainly suffer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
:cool: very tempting...

I would imagine needing to do some engine upgrades or expect a much lower lifespan with such an increase.
Correct. You would need various supporting mods, like a dedicated oil cooler and maybe even a turbo timer. Plus others like different plugs, injectors, etc. Its not something I would do right away but nice to know this engine already has decent aftermarket support.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would imagine needing to do some engine upgrades or expect a much lower lifespan with such an increase. If you use this vehicle as a truck and although infrequently take it into higher elevations I wouldn't be very cautious about tuning my vehicle. The reliability will certainly suffer.
We also don't know how reliable the 2.5T is yet, it may have a defect like the last generation engines where having a full warranty is crucial. That's why if I go SC, I'm still going to do service myself, but keep a folder with all receipts using recommended oil and filters with recorded mileage and what not. The 10 year warranty is best in industry, so I'm not messing with a thing.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Equinox LT AWD 1.5T, 2012 Dodge Journey CVP, 1997 GMC C1500 5.0L 2WD
23 Posts
The 10 year warranty is best in industry, so I'm not messing with a thing.
Another thing we get hosed on in Canada ... only 5 years, 100,000km (about 60,000 miles). You're basically getting double the warranty on the same vehicle, built on the same assembly line. Doesn't seem right, does it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a JB 4 in an Infiniti Q50-S, unless you plan on beating the heck out of the car no further mods are necessary. The Cruz with that much power will be fun, just make sure it's AWD; FWD with that much power will result in crazy torque steer.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts