1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
That is the future of all automakers. No need to build/store inventory that does not sell.

if another chip shortage hits the industry, good luck ever getting a new vehicle.
This is not the future, it's the past. It used to be dealers only had several models on their showroom floors and you could look at them and order a car, but dealer did not have inventory to sell. That was in the late 50's and 60's. I remember looking at the Ford Mustang in 1967, the only other model the dealer had was a Galaxy. Both in the showroom roped off, could not even touch one.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
This is not the future, it's the past. It used to be dealers only had several models on their showroom floors and you could look at them and order a car, but dealer did not have inventory to sell. That was in the late 50's and 60's. I remember looking at the Ford Mustang in 1967, the only other model the dealer had was a Galaxy. Both in the showroom roped off, could not even touch one.
I would say it is the future and the past, then. You will be fortunate to be able to even drive a vehicle before you order it.

Just like office space being eliminated because employers found out they don't need the fancy office space to conduct business, as the Covid experience taught them. No more vast lots of vehicles being spread over acres of land. All dealers will adjust, and there will be even fewer people employed in the car business.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Everything old is new again? The pump and dump method leads to discounts which dilutes the value in the brand. Like work from home I bet we see some experimentation in this vehicle inventory space until the industry finds the new “normal”.

I’d rather order a vehicle built to my spec then buy off the lot, but most lack the patience for this. Sales guys will hate the low inventory model because they cant use any pressure tactics to buy now. Any delay allows customers to change their mind. Sure profit for vehicle might go up but the last thing dealers want is a customer that goes home to ”think about it”.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think we are going to see a retraction, where there will be only enough units on lot to provide test drive coverage (one roughly for each powertrain of each vehicle, and then a few to demonstrate trims and colors that are not for test driving, only for sale or looks. So you would only have 5-20 test driveable vehicles and 20-50 stock cars tops, and then let custom orders cover the majority. With freight improvements and manufacturing streamlining, its possible for almost all manufactures to provide custom or semi-custom options. I would prefer this because I don't generally like pre-packaged trim options and their limitations.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
I'd be willing to wait two months if it meant I could get EXACTLY the options I wanted without any packaged crap I don't want. ****, I'll wait three!

I think the old ways of hundreds of cars sitting on lots until the following model year starts to push its way in, then dealers pumping 'deals' to get rid of the old stock are over. They've seen the profits of the scarcity model, even if it sucks for their sales people, who get fewer commissions, even if they're a little bigger. But when they don't have to offer $15-20k off MSRP to push a truck off the lot like Ram/Chevy are FAMOUS for ... that's money back in their pockets. Hard to convince bean counters the other way is better, even if it goes in the consumer's favor.

This could be the start of a big market correction. And maybe it will cause sales to fall, used cars to be held onto longer, and new car prices to fall a bit back down to earth. Yeah, right!! Gouge, gouge, and gouge some more!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd be willing to wait two months if it meant I could get EXACTLY the options I wanted without any packaged crap I don't want. ****, I'll wait three!

I think the old ways of hundreds of cars sitting on lots until the following model year starts to push its way in, then dealers pumping 'deals' to get rid of the old stock are over. They've seen the profits of the scarcity model, even if it sucks for their sales people, who get fewer commissions, even if they're a little bigger. But when they don't have to offer $15-20k off MSRP to push a truck off the lot like Ram/Chevy are FAMOUS for ... that's money back in their pockets. Hard to convince bean counters the other way is better, even if it goes in the consumer's favor.

This could be the start of a big market correction. And maybe it will cause sales to fall, used cars to be held onto longer, and new car prices to fall a bit back down to earth. Yeah, right!! Gouge, gouge, and gouge some more!
Yeah. And us Canadians sure know about gouging...LOL

·
Registered
156 Posts

This, this, this! I'd happily wait 3-4 months to get exactly what I want, with no test driven miles on it. The other part of this is the pricing... if OEM's would just price it appropriately and not offer ludicrous discounts all the time, and then make you play the dealership negotiation game... it all just feels so slimey and targeted against the consumer.

Say what you will about Tesla, but they've got this part of the process figured out.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The other part of this is the pricing... if OEM's would just price it appropriately and not offer ludicrous discounts all the time, and then make you play the dealership negotiation game... it all just feels so slimey and targeted against the consumer.
This X 100! What other mass produced product do you buy that has such wild price swings based on some random salesperson? Occasionally TVs and other consumer electronics go on sale, and you might get a break on last years model, but you don't walk into Best Buy and immediately start trying to figure out what the out-the-door price is today.

·
Registered
221 Posts
This, this, this! I'd happily wait 3-4 months to get exactly what I want, with no test driven miles on it. The other part of this is the pricing... if OEM's would just price it appropriately and not offer ludicrous discounts all the time, and then make you play the dealership negotiation game... it all just feels so slimey and targeted against the consumer.

Say what you will about Tesla, but they've got this part of the process figured out.
As did Saturn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Ford dealers hate the new selling strategy! I have spoken to four of them, and none have had nice words. You are asking Americans to change to a European model overnight in the middle of a pandemic. It makes them look like they are being greedy. It works for small volume players like Tesla, because they have a small audience. Not so for Ford. Also, if anyone thinks they are getting the hybrid with the steel wheels anytime soon, is kidding themselves. Or even a basic model. CVT trans? I think the 2.0 turbo will do well, because it will be stocked....and because Ford has a ton of dealers, it will sell. I just do not feel it is the better vehicle. And you are not doing serious off roading with either of these vehicles, FX4 or not. We shall see also how they even get the trucks out, the Bronco launch is a hot mess. Which is a shame really.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
Automotive sales people are making more money now than ever before because the profit on nearly every vehicle is so great. We live in crazy times.

·
Registered
896 Posts
And you are not doing serious off roading with either of these vehicles, FX4 or not.
However the hype machine is real, people honestly believe since this "truck" is made by Ford its automatic better then the SC. The Mav is an Escape (same as a Bronco Sport, not the BOF real Bronco) with a bed similar to how the SC is Tuscon with a bed. My parents have an Escape and its a very nice CUV, but its no F150. All the specs indicate the Mav and SC are very close to each once you get away from the hybrid.

·
Registered
227 Posts
However the hype machine is real, people honestly believe since this "truck" is made by Ford its automatic better then the SC. The Mav is an Escape (same as a Bronco Sport, not the BOF real Bronco) with a bed similar to how the SC is Tuscon with a bed. My parents have an Escape and its a very nice CUV, but its no F150. All the specs indicate the Mav and SC are very close to each once you get away from the hybrid.
It is unfortunate that Ford won the hype machine. I understand the idea of a soft launch, but hype is more important than a few disgruntled interested people, I would say. It would be better have demand and no cars than cars and no demand.

Ford won the pricing game, because even though Hyundai has more standard features, many of them move you up the trims pretty quickly, while Ford, even if you ignore the SE, allows you to mix and match a few things within a trim.

I think the Santa Cruz's exterior is marvelous, and the tonneau and brunk are fantastic. I love the Steering wheel and dash design. I personally like Fords interior more once you move away from the dash and the gauges. Less piano black, less black plastic. In the SC it looks premium, but like my mothers CX-5 she had, it was almost a bit much.

I think Ford has the slightly better bed itself though, because of the board inset on top of the wheel well. The first wave of best design complaints was that apparently its too much work to build a built up center section to support sheetrock, so just having a 2x4 cut to shape and stored in there fixes that a bit.

Santa Cruz capability on paper is a fair bit better. Better Towing, better tailgate weight rating, roof racks built on (a major selling point for me, or at least was), a bit more horsepower.

If the 2.5T could be had for the SEL with the activity package price of 32-33k I think with enough good marketing it would bring the Ford Ecoboost to its knees. Unfortunately there is a 4-5k price bump up to the SEL Premium over the Ecoboost XLT, which with any dealer markup or accessories gets you pretty close to 40k.

If I am weighing the price difference, I think most interesting parties will, so I don't think Hyundai quite priced themselves out. I do think they are a hair too high on the SEL Premium because of the Ridgeline 'base' trim starts at the same price. If I could rip out the piano black, there was at least one good colorful color, and the bed had more than the 660lb rating (not bad but 800-1k would have made it more of a non- issue, I don't think I would be considering anything else.

I am supposed to be looking at one tomorrow or Wednesday that has been 2.5k above sticker and now 4k over sticker. Its setup like I like so I will be able to really see if I see myself in one. And then I get to tell them to pound sand, lol.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I think Ford has the slightly better bed itself though, because of the board inset on top of the wheel well. The first wave of best design complaints was that apparently its too much work to build a built up center section to support sheetrock, so just having a 2x4 cut to shape and stored in there fixes that a bit.
You can do this with the SC as well, however Ford showed the feature first which kind of stole the spotlight. Overall Ford just did a much better job with marketing, build to order, etc. Lots of people are excited about the Maverick and want one... the SC has its fans too, but the no where near the numbers. Long term this could be a problem for Hyundai.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
I still find the 660lb bed rating weird - considering they claim the tailgate is good for 500lbs on its own, y'know?

Ford did a great job pushing the "Flexbed" even though the SC does the same thing - but with stronger 2x6 lumber vs. 2x4s. Marketing will win Ford sales, style will make the SC turn heads.

Reactions: Chuck

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
137 Posts
Ford won the pricing game, because even though Hyundai has more standard features, many of them move you up the trims pretty quickly, while Ford, even if you ignore the SE, allows you to mix and match a few things within a trim.
I just configured a Maverick with the same options as the Santa Cruz I'm getting, and the price difference was $310, in favor of the Maverick. I'm willing to pay $310 to have a better looking truck. Add to that the fact that I doubt the Maverick will be as roomy inside as the Santa Cruz, and it's money well spent.

(I base my opinion on the roominess comparison on the following: (1) I sat in a 2021 Ranger, and when I closed the door, the door handle pressed against my thigh. (2) I can't imagine the Maverick being roomier inside than the Ranger. (3) Every Hyundai I've ever sat in or drove was very roomy inside.)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just configured a Maverick with the same options as the Santa Cruz I'm getting, and the price difference was $310, in favor of the Maverick. I'm willing to pay $310 to have a better looking truck. Add to that the fact that I doubt the Maverick will be as roomy inside as the Santa Cruz, and it's money well spent.

(I base my opinion on the roominess comparison on the following: (1) I sat in a 2021 Ranger, and when I closed the door, the door handle pressed against my thigh. (2) I can't imagine the Maverick being roomier inside than the Ranger. (3) Every Hyundai I've ever sat in or drove was very roomy inside.)
I don't know about with but definitely in leg lengths the Maverick is completely different than the Ranger. I was reading because it's not body on frame and has a lot more legroom.

You can do this with the SC as well, however Ford showed the feature first which kind of stole the spotlight. Overall Ford just did a much better job with marketing, build to order, etc. Lots of people are excited about the Maverick and want one... the SC has its fans too, but the no where near the numbers. Long term this could be a problem for Hyundai.
Are you all sure about the two-by's across the wheel wells? I have scoured images of the bed of the Santa Cruz and did not see any inserts on the wheel well itself, they're above it. Maybe I missed them.

I don't know how you got the Santa Cruz 2.5T AWD within the same price bracket as the XLT Lux 2.0 liter Mav. If you go up to the lariat you get better seats than the SEL Premium Santa Cruz and audio, although the lariat has more similar features to the Santa Cruz SEL Prem otherwise.

I definitely think the Santa Cruz looks a lot better, but I don't know about its interior. I wasn't in love with the Tucson I sat in. Waiting until early this week to check out the Santa Cruz coming in nearby

1 - 20 of 41 Posts