Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the production photos, it doesn't look like there is a spot to screw in a tow hook on the front. Does that mean drilling the bumper is the only way to stick a license plate on?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Looking at the production photos, it doesn't look like there is a spot to screw in a tow hook on the front. Does that mean drilling the bumper is the only way to stick a license plate on?
The piece below the grill has little dimples in it where the mounting bracket goes. When the car goes thru PDI (pre-delivery inspection) at the dealership, if your state requires a front plate, they will install it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Looking at the production photos, it doesn't look like there is a spot to screw in a tow hook on the front.
I've wondered about this too as the manual makes no mentioned of tow locations. For an off road adventure vehicle recovery hooks are kind of important. I realize this is no Jeep Rubicon but how do you get it out of a ditch?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can use a license plate bracket secured with long thick zip-ties to empty spots in grill. No holes are drilled.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The piece below the grill has little dimples in it where the mounting bracket goes. When the car goes thru PDI (pre-delivery inspection) at the dealership, if your state requires a front plate, they will install it.
Probably similar to our Acura: the dimples in the front bumper are just a very thin plastic skin over a molded-in anchor point for the screws that hold the license tag - no tools required except a screwdriver.

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
4 Posts
Probably similar to our Acura: the dimples in the front bumper are just a very thin plastic skin over a molded-in anchor point for the screws that hold the license tag - no tools required except a screwdriver.
Here in PA front license plates are not required, so some people like the no holes look or use my zip-tie approach to secure vanity plates.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
208 Posts
Do you guys really want to put on the front plate? IMO it messes up the grille and DRL
I won't mount the front plate even if I'm in two plate state, just gonna zip tie it 1 day each year for state inspection

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
Uh, the law is the law. If we're pulled over with no front plate, it's some pretty hefty fines. We don't have annual inspections ... they can literally pull you over and ask for one anytime they see a vehicle they suspect is unsafe. 20-some years ago I got forced into an inspection on an old S-10 because one of the rear license plate lights had broken loose and was hanging below the bumper. That was the end of the truck, because it wasn't worth the cost to repair it. Loved that little truck, but I was young and broke.

So, yeah, doesn't matter if it messes up the look ... stupid plate is required, stupid plate holder gets attached.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I wish we had inspections here in FL. The thing you see all the time is brake lights not working (sometimes the 3rd one still does), but also cars that have been in accidents with missing bumpers, headlights - if it moves, they keep driving it. At least a basic safety inspection would be good - tires/brakes/lights.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
A tow hook probably won't be included with the Santa Cruz because it is neither a sports car or an official off-road vehicle. Still a glorified SUV.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wish we had inspections here in FL. The thing you see all the time is brake lights not working (sometimes the 3rd one still does), but also cars that have been in accidents with missing bumpers, headlights - if it moves, they keep driving it. At least a basic safety inspection would be good - tires/brakes/lights.
Obviously, you are not black, as black drivers are constantly pulled over for "safety issues."

·
Registered
98 Posts
They keep driving it down the interstate with 3 wheels in Florida. Don't laugh, I've seen it. 45 MPH in a 70 zone with sparks flying off the brake rotor as it digs into the asphalt.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do you guys really want to put on the front plate? IMO it messes up the grille and DRL
I won't mount the front plate even if I'm in two plate state, just gonna zip tie it 1 day each year for state inspection
Cops in NY hang by Sunday morning car gatherings and regularly ticket for no front plate, loud exhausts, etc, not to mention if you park without a plate on city streets. That bring said, haven't had a front plate on one of the cars for years, but it's never parked on the street. I'm sure eventally there will be aftermarket options to relocate the plate.

·
Registered
250 Posts
They keep driving it down the interstate with 3 wheels in Florida. Don't laugh, I've seen it. 45 MPH in a 70 zone with sparks flying off the brake rotor as it digs into the asphalt.
I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale and I can tell you that story needs a correction: the three-wheeled car was surely doing 70 mph in a 45 zone!

·
Registered
489 Posts
As another person who has lived in SFL my whole life I can confirm there is some major junk on the roads here. I’ve seen vehicles missing bumpers, lights, lug nuts, windows, mirrors, etc. We actually had inspections here when I was kid. However by the time I reached driving age they were gone.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
As another person who has lived in SFL my whole life I can confirm there is some major junk on the roads here. I’ve seen vehicles missing bumpers, lights, lug nuts, windows, mirrors, etc. We actually had inspections here when I was kid. However by the time I reached driving age they were gone.
Colorado is the same way. Many folks buy "junk" cars where the headlights don't work, the brakes are bad, or the tires are bald. All our governor cares about are emissions. It is time for a change. Most of the cars on the road will easily pass emissions, but they won't pass a simple safety check.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
I remember my wife telling me about some of the cars on the road in Colorado when she lived there in the 90s. Cars with hoods held on with bungee cords and stuff. Kind of scary.

While I'm glad we don't have the kinds of legendary tough inspections they do in, say, Germany, at least they have to be inspected to be licensed ... and otherwise you only really have to worry when they become visibly unsafe and the po-po might pull you over and give you 30 days to present an inspection slip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't run a front plate since 1994 and have been pulled over exactly twice because of it. Both times I was only issued a warning as I have a plausible excuse at the ready.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts