Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I specced one out the other night online and with the options I wanted (not even the top Lariat, just an XLT) it was within 2-3000 of a mid-tier Ranger.
True however, the same argument can be said for the Ranger vs F150... a lot of Rangers are priced at F150 lower trim levels so common sense says get the F150 as it's more capable in just about every way.

But, the selling point IMO is the size factor, you can put a Ranger in a garage... that was a big thing for me. The Mav and SC selling points for me is they are a little smaller than the Ranger and I don't really care about towing so either would be ok. I like the styling, tech and safety features of the SC much better.

I've been checking both 2022 Tuscon forums as well as Bronco Sport forums since those are the basic platforms for the SC and Mav... not finding many issues on the Tuscon forums but also looking at other Hyundai models that use the 2.5t and dual wet clutch... The Bronco Sport forum I was looking at is definitely experiencing some misc first-year issues.

I really like my Ranger and it's been great with no issues... but I would like something smaller with ventilated front seats and upgraded tech not to mention Honda Ridgeline features so the SC is still high on my list.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Where it is going to be interesting is with the mid to top-trim levels of the Maverick ... where the value proposition is questionable at best. I specced one out the other night online and with the options I wanted (not even the top Lariat, just an XLT) it was within 2-3000 of a mid-tier Ranger. By the time you put in the 2.0T with AWD, the 4K tow package, etc ... it's not a great deal. It doesn't even have keyless ignition standard! These days, that's just crazy. And that's where the SC is going to need to shine. It has a MUCH better list of standard equipment - but the price needs to be right to win people over.
Yeah, can't wait to see street pricing. One thing I noticed though, like you say, XLT is missing a bit of basic stuff, but the Lariat is actually not that expensive of an option, at least if you stick with the hybrid.

Things like the trailer hitch are only $100, and the spray in liner $500, copilot $540, so if you avoid the luxury package, it comes out to $28K which isn't too bad, $3K up from $25K for a XLT with similar features and only $1K more than a XLT w/ luxury package w/ is $27K.

I'm reconsidering that Lariat trim, as like you said I noticed the XLT is missing basic features like pushbutton start, DRL signature light above the headlights, LED bed lighting, the bigger info screen on the gauge cluster, intelligent access, 8-way power driver seat (you have to get luxury package on XLT to get this), acoustic windshield which may be noticeable we will see, and it has things that supposedly the SC won't like a power sliding rear glass (that I actually do use, as long as its just one push of a button and not me climbing over the back seats to manually slide it). I'm also not a fan of sunroof, and I have a feeling it will be forced and bundled on the SC, but not required on the Lariat.

On the SC too though, I feel that SEL Premium is the minimum spec at least for me. Supposedly, its the lowest trim that has basic things like LED headlights, which are standard on the Maverick, but really I'd probably have to do a Limited trim, because I think even the SEL Premium still has that silver front end instead of black and dark chrome which looks so much better IMO.

Problem is the Limited Tucson AWD is $36.2K, and there's no way they could offer the IMO more useful and bigger Santa Cruz version that has a turbocharged engine for almost the same amount. I think it will be closer to the same powertrain 2.5T AWD Santa Fe, which in limited trim is $40.5K.

So while the Maverick Lariat is no doubt inferior to a Santa Cruz Limited, for $12,500 I'm willing to make a decent amount of compromises. Hmmm...

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
for $12,500 I'm willing to make a decent amount of compromises. Hmmm...
Yeah, that's really the thing, right there. And that's why Hyundai needs to release pricing. At a certain price, I'm willing to forgo things for a functionally similar product. That's also why I haven't hit the button on the pre order page, even though I've put my credit card number into it several times now.

I have a co-worker with the Bronco Sport/2.0T and she's been very happy with it. No issues, and a lead foot. I'm sure it will be plenty capable in the Maverick too. I'm really a huge fan of the integrated tonneau and the in-bed truck with the SC though. Ford doesn't have an equivalent there.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Oh the marketing games that can and will be played with the towing capacity of these two vehicles in their ads... :rolleyes:

To be honest, I don't think I want to be towing any more than about 3,500lbs on a regular basis with either one, even with each maximum towing setups.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Found this interesting bit on a Maverick forum. Maverick EPA ratings:
2.0L FWD 22/27/25
2.0L AWD w/o max towing 20/26/24
2.0L AWD W/max towing 21/25/23
2.5L Hybrid FWD 40/30/36

Soooooooo everyone is hyping up that 40mpg city figure - but the 2.5T Santa Cruz wipes the floor with the less powerful, less capable (even with the 4k "max tow" package) Maverick if you need your trucklet to do a little bit of pulling now and then. Or don't want that anemic feeling trying to pass on the highway. Even WITHOUT their 4k towing package (2k tow limit) the turbo Santa Cruz beats it on fuel economy ... on regular, not premium, which the EcoBoom wants.

So if you're not strictly looking at the hybrid model, SC wins the fuel game.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Even WITHOUT their 4k towing package (2k tow limit) the turbo Santa Cruz beats it on fuel economy ... on regular, not premium, which the EcoBoom wants.
Its close in MPG but I thought the premium fuel requirement was debunked.

Regardless the SC has a bigger and more powerful engine so if your towing I know which one I would pick ;) once you get away from the hybrid Mav the SC starts to pull away... literally.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I still haven't found anything that says the EcoBoom runs on 87. I'd rather pay $10k extra up front for the Santa Cruz than feel the pain three times a week at the pump!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Found this interesting bit on a Maverick forum. Maverick EPA ratings:
2.0L FWD 22/27/25
2.0L AWD w/o max towing 20/26/24
2.0L AWD W/max towing 21/25/23
2.5L Hybrid FWD 40/30/36

Soooooooo everyone is hyping up that 40mpg city figure - but the 2.5T Santa Cruz wipes the floor with the less powerful, less capable (even with the 4k "max tow" package) Maverick if you need your trucklet to do a little bit of pulling now and then. Or don't want that anemic feeling trying to pass on the highway. Even WITHOUT their 4k towing package (2k tow limit) the turbo Santa Cruz beats it on fuel economy ... on regular, not premium, which the EcoBoom wants.

So if you're not strictly looking at the hybrid model, SC wins the fuel game.
Are you sure? I had to double-check, but I'm calling BS. I just checked the EPA site and they don't have the Maverick listed yet: Gas Mileage of 2022 Vehicles by Ford

Last thing I saw was Ford's internal estimate of 40 city / 37 combined... 30 highway seems low, hmmm: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2022/maverick/pdf/2022-Ford-Maverick-Features-Technologies.pdf

·
Registered
324 Posts
Could be BS, absolutely. That's why I prefaced it with coming from a forum. But if it's even close, I see no edge over the SC there. I'm not sure I can convince myself the hybrid would be right for me, as a highway commuter. City truck? Sure. But not highway.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Could be BS, absolutely. That's why I prefaced it with coming from a forum. But if it's even close, I see no edge over the SC there. I'm not sure I can convince myself the hybrid would be right for me, as a highway commuter. City truck? Sure. But not highway.
Yeah, the ecoboost definitely isn't the frugal option.

For the hybrid, I believe EPA rating is 55%[email protected] and 45%highway = 37mpg combined. So that should be ~33mpg highway.

The ecoboost will be hard to figure out, since it can be configured so differently. You can get it in FWD or AWD, you can get it with regular tires or FX4 semi-offroady tires, you can get a final drive ratio higher or lower depending on if you get tow package, etc. In any case, I think the ecoboost is going to be pretty underwhelming on fuel economy, especially since it recommends premium over regular. And if you did go Lariat Luxury Package w/ soft tonneau, 360, and Tow+FX4 package, you're also around $37K territory, right between a SC SEL Premium and Limited trim.

Issue for me is price wise comparing the Ford 2.5H vs the Hyundai 2.5, they are similar power but even mostly highway there would still be some stop and go, so Ford 40city/33highway estimate is still quite a bit off from 21city/26highway.

For me I'd either go Ford 2.5H XLT FWD + 360 + spray in + bedmat + 3-soft fold tonneau + hitch + toolkit = ~$26K or I'd probably do an SC SE which starts at ~$24K but I'd have to add a hitch and controller and tonneau and upgrade the headlights to aftermarket LED so would likely come out to the same $26K. I think those should be reasonably comparable w/ the SC getting the styling and interior quality and the Ford winning on efficiency and interior durability.

Color wise, I think I'd actually go similar on both, different than what I thought at first. For the Maverick probably carbonized gray because it tends to mask the fact that the rear bumper isn't actually painted and wouldn't clash with the oddly blue interior, and for the SC Hampton Gray because it doesn't clash as much with the silver grill and also seems to mask the unpainted handles a bit in the SE trim. I'd probably wrap the roof on either one in silver just to be a bit unique and cool in the summer, on the SC in a color that matches the grill as close as possible, and on the Maverick I'd just pick a nice silver and wrap the little grill accent piece the same color.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah, for the Mav, I'd likely be looking at a Lariat Luxury FX4 w/ 4k Tow package ... more for the beefed up cooling system than the actual towing. I'm a fan of having more cooling than you need and not stressing the system out all the time. But I just don't see myself going that route unless I find the price on the SC just too distasteful to swallow. Two weeks (almost) after the US pricing came out ... STILL nothing from Hyundai Canada. I find that disturbing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah, for the Mav, I'd likely be looking at a Lariat Luxury FX4 w/ 4k Tow package ... more for the beefed up cooling system than the actual towing. I'm a fan of having more cooling than you need and not stressing the system out all the time. But I just don't see myself going that route unless I find the price on the SC just too distasteful to swallow. Two weeks (almost) after the US pricing came out ... STILL nothing from Hyundai Canada. I find that disturbing.
Kinda where I am, although I am looking at the XLT instead of the Lariat as I can just add leather for 1500 aftermarket that I like better than the Lariat (in some pictures it looks great and others I hate it.) I have looked at the Lariat, but I don't know if the other features are worth almost 4-5k more. Thats the problem with the SC is I only really need a couple features from the Limited, but to individually add them to a SEL Prem would be almost as much as just getting the Limited. The Ford I can get 95% of what I want and need at 32k. So its really just a "how much do I love the SC" game, because I am starting to really like the Mav in Area 51 and in Hot Pepper Red.

I wish the Hybrid made sense, as I would save 4k more, but I already am looking at less of a 'truck' truck, and I don't want to shave too much capability off. If the Mav offered 5k towing on the FX4 this would be a much closer race.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm actually not that concerned with fuel economy. I understand that it won't be great, as long as it's not awful. I also understand that the EPA figures are in an ideal situation. I'll be using it as my primary commuting vehicle, and when my wife and I travel (to/from Ft. Smith, Arkansas a few times a year), we'll probably take it instead of the Veloster. I'm a "person of size", and I know that the additional weight I carry will affect fuel economy, as will my heavier right foot.

But yeah, since I'm coming from commuting on a motorcycle, the additional fuel costs will not be fun. I'm currently averaging just over 54mpg, and the most I've paid for a weekly fill up has been just over $8. The first fill up on the Santa Cruz is gonna hurt.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have looked at the Lariat, but I don't know if the other features are worth almost 4-5k more.
For me, it's the switch to keyless ignition that sells it. Ever since we went to push button start in our Journey in 2011, it's something I actually appreciate in a vehicle. UNLESS it's a legit old school dead simple cut-as-many-as-you-want-for-3-bucks-apiece key (like my 97 Sierra) ... I don't want all the electronic crap connected to my physical key. I'd rather just keep all that in my pocket.

That said, I have bookmarks for two configurations - one Lariat AWD, one XLT Hybrid. The price between the two isn't much. Like, $3,600. I'm just not confident the hybrid version won't feel anemic on the highway, and when I want to pass, I want the vehicle to giddy up and GO, y'know? It's not like there's a divided highway within hundreds of kilometres from me, it's all short passing lanes on windy, hilly two-lane roads every day. Wouldn't care as much if it was interstate driving.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm just not confident the hybrid version won't feel anemic on the highway, and when I want to pass, I want the vehicle to giddy up and GO, y'know?
That's an easy problem to solve, just go test drive a Ford Escape hybrid, they should feel very similar.
Kinda where I am, although I am looking at the XLT instead of the Lariat as I can just add leather for 1500 aftermarket that I like better than the Lariat (in some pictures it looks great and others I hate it.)
The biggest problem with the Maverick are the color choices IMO.

You have blue plastics, white plastics, brown plastics, black carpet, and blue and brown seats, and then throw on an exterior color like say hot pepper red, and you have such an odd mishmash of colors.

The XLT takes the brown out of the mix, that is hard to color coordinate, but adds very bright orange accents in its place. With blue and orange then dominating the interior, it means you kind of have to go with a shade of blue on the exterior or a neutral color (white/black/gray), or compliment the orange accents with a cyber orange exterior.

Problem? With something like cyber orange to match the XLT interior, the unpainted pieces really stand out more, but if you go to a Lariat then you're reintroducing brown instead.

The Maverick also has really huge blocky taillamps, and they tend to blend in with red, but once you open the door again you have either blues and oranges or blues and browns and its like how does that match with red? Kind of sad, because the Maverick has so many more exciting exterior colors, but I feel if you at all care about complimentary colors to the interior, you can't really use them!

·
Registered
173 Posts
For me, it's the switch to keyless ignition that sells it. Ever since we went to push button start in our Journey in 2011, it's something I actually appreciate in a vehicle. UNLESS it's a legit old school dead simple cut-as-many-as-you-want-for-3-bucks-apiece key (like my 97 Sierra) ... I don't want all the electronic crap connected to my physical key. I'd rather just keep all that in my pocket.

That said, I have bookmarks for two configurations - one Lariat AWD, one XLT Hybrid. The price between the two isn't much. Like, $3,600. I'm just not confident the hybrid version won't feel anemic on the highway, and when I want to pass, I want the vehicle to giddy up and GO, y'know? It's not like there's a divided highway within hundreds of kilometres from me, it's all short passing lanes on windy, hilly two-lane roads every day. Wouldn't care as much if it was interstate driving.
The unfortunate part is how insecure the current fob is to Relay Attacks. Its so convenient, though.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts