Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I purchased my SC, every time I filled up, the fuel range gauge always gave me a number around 340ish miles. Today, I did a long trip from north of Atlanta to Eastern NC, and I stopped to get gas after traveling 412 miles. The range gauge said that I still had 32 miles left of fuel. When I filled up, the gauge said 348 miles of fuel. Has anyone received a higher number or seen the range increase after each fill up?
Vehicle Gauge Car Auto part Personal luxury car

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think the predicted range is based on your recent miles/gal. Since you were filling up after a long highway drive, your recent mpg was probably a bit better than your usual around-town mileage - ergo: slightly greater estimated distance. I'll bet the estimated range goes back down after you return to your usual driving routine.

Reactions: Dqnny and JMII

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
I honestly have NO idea how it calculates the DTE. I've never found it to be remotely close to accurate in over 6,600km. (4,100 miles) I'm normally doing 630-650km (just over 400 miles) on a tank for my commute with enough left in the tank that I could probably do at least another 100km/60 miles before DTE would actually hit zero ... and then I'd still have about 80km/50mi of 'reserve' in the tank. But even on a fresh tank, it normally never says more than about 520km on the DTE. It's ALWAYS very much lower than actual. But then again, so is my mpg on the dash. Consistently backed up by my Fuelly recordings. It's saying 8.8l/100km (27mpg) on Fuelly all-time, my dash says 9.3 (25mpg). It has consistently off by about 2mpg since day one. Not sure what the deal is, but it is consistent. Might be something to do with the speedometer being 1mph higher than actual. (GPS and radar speed sign verified.)

·
Registered
296 Posts
We had that feature on our 2012 Sonata. Once I needed to depend on it. What I learned is that it gives a conservative estimate. I was concerned I might run out of gas before I got to an exit with a gas station. But, the estimate to empty continued adding a few miles to the estimate. By the time I got to a gas station, I had more estimated miles available than I thought possible.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I think the predicted range is based on your recent miles/gal.
Correct. The question is how often does it update this calculation. Since its a running average it can take several miles (10, 20, 30?) before it becomes accurate again. This is very obvious after taking my C7 to the track where it gets 6 MPG vs nearly 30 MPG on the highway. When I fill the tank for the drive home after a track day my reported range is only 100 miles, but as I drive the number keeps going up until its over 350 miles. Then of course its starts going back down as fuel burns off.

·
Registered
Hampton Gray SEL Premium
262 Posts
I honestly have NO idea how it calculates the DTE. I've never found it to be remotely close to accurate in over 6,600km. (4,100 miles)
These calculations are typically based on fuel delivery measured through the injectors vs. tank level. Use more it goes down, less it goes up. It's a constantly changing, simple calculation. DTE will be reported based on the most recent calculations.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think the predicted range is based on your recent miles/gal. Since you were filling up after a long highway drive, your recent mpg was probably a bit better than your usual around-town mileage - ergo: slightly greater estimated distance. I'll bet the estimated range goes back down after you return to your usual driving routine.
Yes thats what the salesman told me it sort of resets itself when you get more fuel dont no why

·
Premium Member
2022 SC SEL Premium 2.5T AWD - Ice White Solid
125 Posts
I just did 3,600 miles and it never ever showed more than 350 in MTE. Even though every tank I got 400ish. Now that I'm home, it's back to its usual 260-320 range guess when I fill up.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The purpose of the DTE is to give one an estimate of their range when your tank is nearing empty. There are to many variables at full tank to properly estimate your range.
Your DTE is constantly being recalculated as you drive.

It’s always been 100% accurate when the range is near zero.
At 0km DTE, its always been 7L (1.85 US Gal) left in the tank - which means approx. 70km (43.5miles) of range in reserve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts