Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Feel free to waste money on higher test if it makes you feel better. Unless you encounter knocking under high loads/high temps there is no reason to run anything but 87. Hyundai built the engine to run on that octane, so it will not run better or get better mileage on higher test. My ancient Ranger needed 89 when towing in FL during the summer with the A/C on, however modern engines have much better spark control to the point that knocking / pinging is a thing of the past.
I didn't say I used Premium in my SC. Only my in my small engines machines.

· Registered
364 Posts
I'm from California and I don't recognize it anymore. In the dictionary under the word "WOKE" is a picture of California. So glad to be out of that culture. The land, sea and mountains are great but the society is so dazed and confused. It needs to be it's own country so it can help everyone that doesn't want to work be taken care of by those who do work. They deserve G.Newson.
I’m from Massachusetts my man! I get it. We aren’t far behind California in that regard. I just always enjoy laughing at the prop 65 warnings and I always wonder why these chemicals are only “known to the state of California to cause cancer…” why do no other states know this after many years of prop 65?

· Registered
Limited purchased 8/2022
59 Posts
I’m from Tennessee and i can assure you there are laughable ideas and dumb people across the 50 states and spanning the political spectrum.

· Registered
80 Posts
I’m from Massachusetts my man! I get it. We aren’t far behind California in that regard. I just always enjoy laughing at the prop 65 warnings and I always wonder why these chemicals are only “known to the state of California to cause cancer…” why do no other states know this after many years of prop 65?
I thought the same thing when an order for goods I received had that sticker and I am in Canada? I laughed and thought, Isn't that a shocker that this comes from California.

· Registered
5 Posts
I’m enjoying the discussion. So for my 60 cents I’ll say this; I had to do my first fill and I forgot to check the manual about fuel so I figured I should use premium to be safe. I was averaging between 25 and 26 mpg on the fuel from the dealer and after filling with with premium my mpg jumped to between 29 and 30. Premium here in Madison does not contain ethanol which will most likely account for the increase in mpg. So I would say increased octane fuel that still contains ethanol gains you nothing, but premium with no ethanol will increase mpg. However depending on price you will struggle to break even. FYI 60 cents was about how much more it cost per gallon at the time. I was quite surprised though that it made such a difference.

· Registered
3 Posts
I prioritise fuel purchases for the SC based on the following criteria in order of importance:
  1. No ethanol
  2. Top tier
  3. price
Octane doesn't factor in as there is nothing available less than 87. Here in BC the availability of a top tier, no ethanol blend 87 octane fuel is rare as hens teeth. Therefore I end up using mostly 89 or 91 to avoid ethanol. Some of the top tier suppliers have ethanol in their mid grade and a few even in their higher grade fuels, so I avoid them as well. Same rules apply to my motorcycles. The boat runs like crap on anything less than 91. When it's blistering hot in the summer and I'm towing the boat I use 91, just cruz it makes me feel better (and maybe something about resisting pre-ignition at higher temps).

· Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have been using 89 octane Shell. The last 2 tanks I tried 87. Just filled up today and it only took 5.7 gals and the trip meter was at 228 miles. That equals 40 mpg. I even went very slowly so th make sure I got it totally full.
We have been gentle on the throttle but still. For an ICE engine this is amazing.

· Registered
200 Posts
Have only had it a month so far. Only been using regular octane as well, best millage ive gotten so far is 9.2l\100km and thats using auto cruise +10, Ill be lowering that to +5 and eventually to speed limit and then -5 to see whats the best i can get out of it at what speed.

Ive only filled up once so far so im not really a reference I guess!

· Registered
497 Posts
Since posting I researched our engine specs for the 2.5 and 2.5T, the normally aspirated ratio is 13 psi and the turbo engine is only 10.5 psi. Odd.
Again the 2.5 turbo has only a 10.5 compression.
10.5 to 1 is not "only".... thats actually very high for a Turbo. Traditional turbo have been from 7 to 1. To 9:1. I haven't seen many over 10. Add boost to most engines with 10.5:1 compression and you bend rods or suck valves in about 1 pull. Even porsche doesn't mess with much over 10 and they are race tuned from the factory. That's why you can't just throw a turbo on an NA engine and get any reliability

To increase power you can either raise compression, increase cubic inches, or force induction. When you start pumping in 15-20 lbs of boost you have to lower the compression or break things. NA engines will always have more ratio than turbo.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts