Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone knows what type of fuse the SC has in the instrument panel and in the engine compartment? Going to get a Dashcam so I assume it will be wired to the instrument panel (though I'll have professional installation most likely).

Rectangle Font Gas Electric blue Water

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you consider connecting to OBD?
Just installed Thinkware dual channel with the OBD2 connection.
Plug and play. Didn’t mess around with the fuses. Completely out of site.

https://www.blackboxmycar.ca/collections/hardwiring-kit-clips-cables/products/iroad-power-obd-ii
I am actually planning to get a powercell as well for parking mode (so that is what is going to be connected to the battery), I guess I'll talk to Blackboxmycar and see what their recommendation is; I assume it should be able to provide similar current as wiring it to the fuse-box directly.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I am actually planning to get a powercell as well for parking mode (so that is what is going to be connected to the battery), I guess I'll talk to Blackboxmycar and see what their recommendation is; I assume it should be able to provide similar current as wiring it to the fuse-box directly.
Dash cams usually have battery protection settings for parking mode. Unless your intending to leave the car parked for a long time.
I haven’t enabled parking mode just yet, I’ e been to lazy to download the app and adjust all the settings… perhaps this weekend… lol

·
Registered
327 Posts
Go for the fuse block. The OBD port provides power all the time. That will lead to a dead battery one day. From the fuse box you can set it up so that power is only provided when the engine is running.

I just wired it up that way two days ago on Saturday

In the attached pic I found two unused fuse slots. The left one is continuous power (always on all the time just like the OBD port) and the right fuse tap is power only when accessory is on or the engine is running.

I then ran those wires to a 3 way switch. Now I can flip the switch it so that the camera only runs when the engine is running. But on certain occasions (like running into a store for a little bit) I can flip the switch and the camera works while the engine is off. So not meant to be left that way for 5+ hours, as eventually it will drain the battery
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Electricity Electronic engineering Cable

Go pro and use fuse taps like in the pic. It makes tapping into the fuse box stupid easy.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I also installed a "mass sensor".
Part of the concern for me was recording when there was nothing to record, it drains the battery for no reason. So I installed the item below from Amazon. It works just like the Viper proximity alarm system. If someone approaches the car it then provides power to the camera.

Took some tuning as it is (for me) too sensitive out of the box. But after that, it works quite well. If nothing drives near the car and/or no one walks by (stopping or not) the camera remains off. Otherwise it turns on. Note that in windy weather if a tree branch is near the car it will just keep triggering, but I usually am parking in open parking lots.

Either way it reduces battery usage. So if you dont need a camera on all night, it works well. But if you need a camera on every night for every minute, then a dedicated battery is best.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I also installed a "mass sensor".
Part of the concern for me was recording when there was nothing to record, it drains the battery for no reason. So I installed the item below from Amazon. It works just like the Viper proximity alarm system. If someone approaches the car it then provides power to the camera.

Took some tuning as it is (for me) too sensitive out of the box. But after that, it works quite well. If nothing drives near the car and/or no one walks by (stopping or not) the camera remains off. Otherwise it turns on. Note that in windy weather if a tree branch is near the car it will just keep triggering, but I usually am parking in open parking lots.

Either way it reduces battery usage. So if you dont need a camera on all night, it works well. But if you need a camera on every night for every minute, then a dedicated battery is best.

I have my dash cam (Thinkware) 2 channel powered through the OBD2, dash cam comes with low voltage monitor and the ability to shut off. you have the option to turn on or off the parking mode. Video doesn’t record full time, only when an incident occurs, sensitivity can be adjusted.
As it’s not my commuter, my SC can sit in the driveway for days at a time.
Never had an issue on multiple vehicles with this set up
Installation took about 15 min. It’s plug and play, most of that time was running and hiding the wires to the rear camera. 😁
Nice thing about the SC, it’s really easy to hide all the wires, only used the wedge tool couple times, rest was free hand

·
Registered
327 Posts
Super easy to hide the wires in the SC for sure. Love that

My concern with the parking mode is that it is dependent on someone bumping the vehicle (My Garmin has parking mode). I had someone place bumper stickers on my car once. Also, keying a car does not necessarily mean bumping it. With a proximity sensor, all those activities will be caught on video. No need for anyone to even breath on the car, it just starts recording if they are near it.

So since a bump is required when in parking mode, it is a little reactive versus a more proactive approach with a proximity sensor.

The proximity sensor link above is very low drain and also contains a low voltage monitor as well.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Super easy to hide the wires in the SC for sure. Love that

My concern with the parking mode is that it is dependent on someone bumping the vehicle (My Garmin has parking mode). I had someone place bumper stickers on my car once. Also, keying a car does not necessarily mean bumping it. With a proximity sensor, all those activities will be caught on video. No need for anyone to even breath on the car, it just starts recording if they are near it.

So since a bump is required when in parking mode, it is a little reactive versus a more proactive approach with a proximity sensor.

The proximity sensor link above is very low drain and also contains a low voltage monitor as well.
If that is a concern, Thinkware has an option to add proximity sensor as well…(I’m sure other manufacturers would as well)
Im just saying, OBD2 power source is an option, with out having to worry about battery drain… and simpler set up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts