Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally started the paddles for shifting to get on the parkway. Seemed pretty cool, I still don't know what i am doing.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
it's for more control of the gear, so within reason, you can decide what gear the vehicle is in.
I played around it on the first day, and then never bothered, in general the DCT in normal mode shift logic is very nice.
in low speed it actually holds the gear without always trying to up shift, which is very nice. probably that way it saves the longevity of the clutch not having to shift to frequently.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
I know exactly what you mean about it holding lower gears. I've been finding myself looking at the tach, wondering why I'm running like 1800-2000 rpm at 50km/h (30mph) and manually upshifting, where it happily sits at 13-1400rpm until I come upon a hill or something that warrants a downshift. I wonder if that's intentional during the break-in period, maybe?

I am very happy with how responsive the paddle shifters are though. This thing is pretty darn smooth, outside of low speed creeping. Seems to be a bit of a lull in the initial 1-2 shift sometimes too. Like it wants to upshift, but thinks maybe it's better to stick to first for acceleration. I find it more pronounced if I put my foot into it off the line then just casual cruising around town.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I use the paddles on my F-Type R when doing the fun mountain roads since you can downshift before coming into a turn and and upshift accelerate out of it. Saves on allot of heavy braking. Also great for keeping speed on downhill by shifting down as needed to keep pace with cars ahead rather than riding the brakes. Around town or crusing I just keep it on automatic shifting.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Does Sport mode hold gears longer and downshift quicker? The wife’s Infiniti is like that.

As for the paddles if your getting ready to pass someone you could force the downshift, which would spin up the turbo so when did hit the gas there would be no lag. Also might be good to short shift in slippery situations or to save fuel if you know you’ll be cruising on the highway.

The only DCT I’ve driven was my brothers Boxster on track and it was fun. Still not as a good as a manual but flipping the paddles on twisty roads is better then nothing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts