Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Appreciate the input! I did get back to them with the survey tonight... Loved the finance guy, but explained why I gave the overall sale a poor rating. I will see how they respond... If not, I will let Hyundai know I am not pleased and see where it goes... I have been waffling on this, but enough of you have convinced me it is worth exhausting every option to get what should rightfully have been included...

·
Registered
2022, Hyundai, Santa Cruz, SEL w/ Activity Package
146 Posts
Back in 2009 I bought a new Hyundai Accent. Bottom of the barrel trim, manual trans. I only bought it because of the surge in gas prices then and my other vehicle was an F-150 Lariat Crew Cab and to get to work was a 52 mile round trip. I bought the Hyundai 150 miles away, over the phone, sight unseen. When I picked it up the salesman was lackluster, bored and wanted to get rid of me as quickly as possible since I was not dropping big bucks there, which was OK with me. I took it for a spin around the block and then he tossed me the manual and extra key. The finance guy couldn't get it through his head that I didn't want any extras, that the entire exercise was to just have a cheap car to get to work with. So he wasn't thrilled with me either. When I got home I discovered that the car was missing the cargo cover that you pull out behind the rear seat. I checked with Hyundai online to see if that trim was supposed to have it since it cost $300 if you wanted to buy one. Yep. I called the salesman and he said he'd find it and get it for me. Then he blew it off. So, when they called to get a review from me they asked how I rated the salesman from 1 to 10. I said three. The next day he actually called and got profane between his hyperventilating. I said, the car was missing a part, you said you get it and didn't. He said I "got a great deal" and I should be happy with a car missing a part. So then I called Hyundai and explained the situation. Hyundai called the dealership sales manager and told them to get me the missing part. He said no to which Hyundai rep said "You're telling corporate NO?!" Then they called the dealership owner. I don't know what was said but I then got a call from the parts manager telling me to come pick up my part. I told him he needed to mail it since I lived 150 miles away. Got the part a few days later. Moral of the story, call Hyundai corporate if you run into a brick wall at the dealership.
Imagine your boss saying "Hey man look you screwed up no biggie just make it right" and your reply is No. LOL, This dude mustve been salty.

·
Registered
2022, Hyundai, Santa Cruz, SEL w/ Activity Package
146 Posts
Dealerships are used to compliant submissive customers who think the dealership is the boss so it's SOP to make promises and not follow through. Homie don't play that.
Thank god my dealer was cool. They didn't give a f, literally no aggressiveness or hostilities. It was like buying a car from a friend.

·
Registered
Black Limited
324 Posts
The Go Pro mounts are probably one of the worst ideas I've ever seen. They ruin the flow of the wheel arch. I can't imagine anyone ever using them. I have a Go Pro and if I wanted to use it it sure wouldn't be with normal street driving. I would think using it on the trails would just be askking for it to get smashed or torn off. I'd just use a vacuum or magnet mount and put the camera where I feel it would work best. Certainly not hanging out off a fender. Like to know the train of thought on that gem of an idea.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I would think using it on the trails would just be askking for it to get smashed or torn off.
Agree. I bet putting them there was the result of marketing telling the engineers what to do and not the other way around. For the Bronco Ford put their mount on the dash which isn't ideal either. Based on using a GoPro for track days any interior mounting just picks up reflections off the glass and messes up the focus.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So, I have an update for everyone... I wrote a long, detailed letter and sent to Hyundai... They asked for some additional info, and then came back and said I could order the part from my nearest dealer. I figured that the misunderstood something so I called and spoke with someone. Had a good conversation and fully explained what I am looking for, and why. So, long story short, the OFFICIAL Hyundai position is that they can do NOTHING for me and told me to go back to the GM or Service Manager of the dealership to see if they would do anything... Never been given the finger over the phone so well... Never raised my voice, never got insulting, just made the case and was essentially told to go away... NOT impressed with Hyundai, but I do love the vehicle... I will wait and see how I feel about the go pro in a few months and then will break down and purchase the fender flares, if needed... Thanks to all for your input on this...

·
Registered
SEL AWD
237 Posts
Back in 2009 I bought a new Hyundai Accent. Bottom of the barrel trim, manual trans. I only bought it because of the surge in gas prices then and my other vehicle was an F-150 Lariat Crew Cab and to get to work was a 52 mile round trip. I bought the Hyundai 150 miles away, over the phone, sight unseen. When I picked it up the salesman was lackluster, bored and wanted to get rid of me as quickly as possible since I was not dropping big bucks there, which was OK with me. I took it for a spin around the block and then he tossed me the manual and extra key. The finance guy couldn't get it through his head that I didn't want any extras, that the entire exercise was to just have a cheap car to get to work with. So he wasn't thrilled with me either. When I got home I discovered that the car was missing the cargo cover that you pull out behind the rear seat. I checked with Hyundai online to see if that trim was supposed to have it since it cost $300 if you wanted to buy one. Yep. I called the salesman and he said he'd find it and get it for me. Then he blew it off. So, when they called to get a review from me they asked how I rated the salesman from 1 to 10. I said three. The next day he actually called and got profane between his hyperventilating. I said, the car was missing a part, you said you get it and didn't. He said I "got a great deal" and I should be happy with a car missing a part. So then I called Hyundai and explained the situation. Hyundai called the dealership sales manager and told them to get me the missing part. He said no to which Hyundai rep said "You're telling corporate NO?!" Then they called the dealership owner. I don't know what was said but I then got a call from the parts manager telling me to come pick up my part. I told him he needed to mail it since I lived 150 miles away. Got the part a few days later. Moral of the story, call Hyundai corporate if you run into a brick wall at the dealership.
I wonder if this guy still remembers you. Probably bought the last car he ever sold.

·
Registered
SEL AWD
237 Posts
So, I have an update for everyone... I wrote a long, detailed letter and sent to Hyundai... They asked for some additional info, and then came back and said I could order the part from my nearest dealer. I figured that the misunderstood something so I called and spoke with someone. Had a good conversation and fully explained what I am looking for, and why. So, long story short, the OFFICIAL Hyundai position is that they can do NOTHING for me and told me to go back to the GM or Service Manager of the dealership to see if they would do anything... Never been given the finger over the phone so well... Never raised my voice, never got insulting, just made the case and was essentially told to go away... NOT impressed with Hyundai, but I do love the vehicle... I will wait and see how I feel about the go pro in a few months and then will break down and purchase the fender flares, if needed... Thanks to all for your input on this...
The fender flares are almost certainly made by some small volume supplier. They won't sell Hyundai the cap by itself because they don't have any and won't make any. I'm sure Hyundai would gladly mail you a $2 piece of plastic if they could to make the problem go away.

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wonder if this guy still remembers you. Probably bought the last car he ever sold.
Highly unlikely he or anyone else for that matter is still working there. After I retired from the USAF I became a supervisor of a large Ford dealership body shop. I quickly learned what an incredibly transient business the auto sales biz is. People usually don't stay long. They cycle around to other dealerships. If the salesmen don't produce enough profit that month, they're canned and the service and body shop guys will get pissed over something and at the drop of a hat quit. Since there is a chronic shortage of people in those fields they can literally pick up the phone and have another job in five minutes. I lasted five years which was a long, long time for any of my predecessors and moved on to working at a defense contractor. One of the most enjoyable moments of my life was telling my dealership manager I quit. Nasty, nasty business.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
This whole sad story is just another reason to avoid getting any "acessories" on the vehicle. I wonder how many are people are never going to get the 7 pin bracket on the tow hitch because Hyundai or the dealer fitted the 4 pin and just tossed the extra "unneeded" part. Thankfully there are aftermarket options but no such luck for the fender flares.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yup... Didn't want it, but otherwise the car was exactly the way I wanted, and it today's market, if you don't jump, it's gone... Again, glad I did it and just a small bump in the road!

Saw you drive a Dakota! One of my favorite vehicles ever was my 2000 Dakota Sport Quad Cab! Loved the V8 and the way it drove! Put some brush guards and a hard tonneau and drove it everywhere!!! I hear they are bringing the Dakota back in a few years... I'm interested to see what they choose to do with it...

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Saw you drive a Dakota! One of my favorite vehicles ever was my 2000 Dakota Sport Quad Cab! Loved the V8 and the way it drove!
(y) Mine has been super reliable, its been towing my 16 foot boat for the last 20 years. As soon as this over MSRP madness ends a SC will replace it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts