Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think the extender could be useful. With it out, makes the bed about on par with my Sierra with the tailgate up - and I can put my kayak out over that just fine. With the tailgate up on the SC, there's no way I could do it. The angle would be too steep and I'd have a good 7 feet hanging off the back. The extender would give a better angle for long items to overhang. 8 foot 2x4s, for example, would be just fine laying over the top of the bed extender, but probably wouldn't be a safe load with the tailgate up and the same boards laying over it.

Ultimately, a lot of that will come down to individual uses. Some people will find it useful, others will definitely not see any need. It is a shame they couldn't find a mounting style that would allow it to be clear of the brunk opening though.
I’m not too sure about the extender. You could probably just raise the tailgate to the higher attach points for longer items (like the plywood capability). But perhaps that wouldn’t be high enough?

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
859 Posts
Yeah, that had also crossed my mind. I think the shape of the bed extender would be beneficial though, since it forms a bit of a V/cradle at the back to avoid any lateral movement where the flat edge of the tailgate would not.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
109 Posts
Yeah, that had also crossed my mind. I think the shape of the bed extender would be beneficial though, since it forms a bit of a V/cradle at the back to avoid any lateral movement where the flat edge of the tailgate would not.
Doesn't the bed extender rotate up and over so the tailgate can close? Assuming it's like other extenders, rotating it into the bed creates a nice little enclosed area for corralling grocery bags and other stuff you don't want sliding up the front of the bed when you stop.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
859 Posts
Yeah, it flips in. The biggest complaint with it seems to be that you can't open the brunk with it installed. You have to remove it to get under the lid.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
109 Posts
Yeah, it flips in. The biggest complaint with it seems to be that you can't open the brunk with it installed. You have to remove it to get under the lid.
I would think most of us won't be in and out of the brunk that often, instead using it for emergency supplies (battery cables, tie-downs, extension cords, flat-fix equipment, etc.), so I personally don't really care about that. The extender is way more important to me with that short bed, so I consider it a must-have. And after all, it only takes a few seconds to remove the extender and toss it in the bed out of the way.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would think most of us won't be in and out of the brunk that often, instead using it for emergency supplies (battery cables, tie-downs, extension cords, flat-fix equipment, etc.), so I personally don't really care about that. The extender is way more important to me with that short bed, so I consider it a must-have. And after all, it only takes a few seconds to remove the extender and toss it in the bed out of the way.
Do you have one now though? I do, and rarely use it as an extender. The only real benefit would be if you have something like a cooler or whatever, something too big to go through any of the slats and too heavy to bounce over it on a big bump or get blown over at very high speed, then the slats of the extender can secure it.

But otherwise anything that goes up to the end of the bed or even past it you just use a ratchet tie down or two and it won't go anywhere and is the most secure way to transport anyway.

Now, my extender is also a bed divider, and as a divider I use it all the time and love it for that. For example, just the other day we picked up 15 gallons of fuel, so I moved the bed divider so it was just the right size so with the bed closed the upright fuel canisters couldn't fall over no matter how hard you slam on the brakes. A static bed divider could kind of do that, but not necessary all that well since you can't adjust exactly how far forward or back it is.

Harbor Freight and a ton of others on Amazon and the like sell things called cargo bars that can also work well as dividers and yet are small. Or there's similar board style products like this:

If you were going to relegate the brunk to just emergency supplies like relocate the jack and other crap back there instead, I'd do this mod on the extender:

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
Does anyone know if you can use the sliding window for passing through long boards?
You probably can, but the weight resting on the bottom of the window sill might cause a problem with sealing or damage to the sill itself. Light objects probably not an issue, if you are not in an accident. It would be a last resort for me.

And with the height of the window, you might risk scuffing your headliner with long items.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought a Ratcheting Cargo Keeper Bar and a Husky Storage Bin from Home Depot for under $40 and it's doing the trick so far. Because I have the Cargo Mat, the bin doesn't slide around. It's a poor man's implementation of a bed extender until an actual bed extender is available as an accessory, but it's functional and working for me at the moment. And on the plus side, the bin comes right out and I can open the brunk as the the keeper bar does not interfere with the brunk at all.

Ratcheting Cargo Keeper Bar - Keeper Ratcheting Cargo Bar-47059 - The Home Depot
Husky Bin - Husky Stackable Storage Bin in Black-232387 - The Home Depot

Automotive tire Hood Grille Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
77 Posts
I love load bars and have always used them in my trucks. I usually have two in there. It's no different with the SC. They are very convenient.

I also use this net bag on one of them. It has thick heavy-duty straps. No worries about them breaking like some of the cheaper envelope nets. It holds a good amount of stuff and is easy enough to fold up and move out of the way if needed.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
109 Posts
I bought a Ratcheting Cargo Keeper Bar and a Husky Storage Bin from Home Depot for under $40 and it's doing the trick so far. Because I have the Cargo Mat, the bin doesn't slide around. It's a poor man's implementation of a bed extender until an actual bed extender is available as an accessory, but it's functional and working for me at the moment. And on the plus side, the bin comes right out and I can open the brunk as the the keeper bar does not interfere with the brunk at all.

Ratcheting Cargo Keeper Bar - Keeper Ratcheting Cargo Bar-47059 - The Home Depot
Husky Bin - Husky Stackable Storage Bin in Black-232387 - The Home Depot

View attachment 2420
Not sure I understand how this would work as a bed extender (?) Do you slide it out onto the tailgate? If so, how do you secure it?

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
244 Posts
Not sure I understand how this would work as a bed extender (?) Do you slide it out onto the tailgate? If so, how do you secure it?
Ratcheting Cargo Keeper Bar - Keeper Ratcheting Cargo Bar-47059 - The Home Depot -- This is what is commonly known as a load lock in the trucking industry. By design It attaches to the sides of the trailer (bed in this case) and is ratcheted out to create a tight fit. It would do a great job keeping cargo from moving but in no way extends the bed.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ratcheting Cargo Keeper Bar - Keeper Ratcheting Cargo Bar-47059 - The Home Depot -- This is what is commonly known as a load lock in the trucking industry. By design It attaches to the sides of the trailer (bed in this case) and is ratcheted out to create a tight fit. It would do a great job keeping cargo from moving but in no way extends the bed.
Ehhh, if you're flexible with your definition of a "bed extender", I could see it working as one, lol!

Secure the "load lock" at the end of your bed on the plastic or even on the metal where the tailgate latches are.

Pull out a couple of these bad boys you have stored in your brunk (if they fit) and put them on the tailgate:
Clothing Joint Shoe Hairstyle Shoulder
Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting Office supplies

Attach a strong velcro loop strap around the handle to secure it to the load lock bar, that is attached at the correct height.

Voila, you've extended your bed space onto the tailgate for a massive Costco haul! When done, the baskets and collapsed load lock might fit back in the brunk out of sight and secure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Random question based on your photo and looking at mine - how much space is between the top of your front/rear tire and the fender? Mines ~4” front, 5.4” rear, give or take

21 - 40 of 59 Posts