Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I was notified by the dealer there are NO discounts, but NO premium either. So I''ll pay MSRP... the only "talk" with the dealer will be on trade-in value. I accept this for wanting to be on the early delivery list. Trade off for being impatient. :p My suggestion to all is to complete the credit app (if needed) prior to actual delivery. That speeds up the delivery process greatly.
I posted on here before (not sure if it was this thread or not) that every car company is tight selling new cars so we'll probably be paying MSRP with no negotiation room. Which makes it all the more irritating when the factory is dumping on accessories (saw the one headed to my dealer has carpeted floor mats and weather liners - why both???) so they jack jack up the price. But it is definitely a seller's market - if we want to play we gotta play. But like you said, negotiation starts at the trade in time!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Contacted local dealer in WI that has an Ice White w/black interior Limited on the way. Destination fee, state sales tax, title, out the door price $46,000, no dealing on price. If it had the gray interior I would have discussed further.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I posted on here before (not sure if it was this thread or not) that every car company is tight selling new cars so we'll probably be paying MSRP with no negotiation room. Which makes it all the more irritating when the factory is dumping on accessories (saw the one headed to my dealer has carpeted floor mats and weather liners - why both???) so they jack jack up the price. But it is definitely a seller's market - if we want to play we gotta play. But like you said, negotiation starts at the trade in time!
I am going to try and get over market for my Car
Contacted local dealer in WI that has an Ice White w/black interior Limited on the way. Destination fee, state sales tax, title, out the door price $46,000, no dealing on price. If it had the gray interior I would have discussed further.
That likely has lots of add-on equipment, because if you take 46000-300, and then divide by 1.055 (to roughly remove sales tax ( I think its 5.5 in Kenosha for me)), and then remove 1185 for destination fee, that gives a price of about 42.2k when even a fully decked out Limited Sage Gray should be maxing out at like 40.5k without destination charge.

That dealer is definitely heavily marking it up or asked for BS additional equipment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am going to try and get over market for my Car

That likely has lots of add-on equipment, because if you take 46000-300, and then divide by 1.055 (to roughly remove sales tax ( I think its 5.5 in Kenosha for me)), and then remove 1185 for destination fee, that gives a price of about 42.2k when even a fully decked out Limited Sage Gray should be maxing out at like 40.5k without destination charge.

That dealer is definitely heavily marking it up or asked for BS additional equipment.
I'm west of you, Janesville, I do not disagree with your figures. Sales manager said no add-on equipment listed on invoice. Their only "required" add-on was an "all inclusive" insurance policy. Covers any type of damage to interior and wheel scraps, blah blah blah $500. I was at $39,720 for limited AWD, $2,185 sales tax, $1,185 destination charge, $300 title, registration and plate for $43,390 I was willing to offer $43,500 out the door. I'm holding out for the gray interior and a trailer hitch if I'm paying a penny over $43,500.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm west of you, Janesville, I do not disagree with your figures. Sales manager said no add-on equipment listed on invoice. Their only "required" add-on was an "all inclusive" insurance policy. Covers any type of damage to interior and wheel scraps, blah blah blah $500. I was at $39,720 for limited AWD, $2,185 sales tax, $1,185 destination charge, $300 title, registration and plate for $43,390 I was willing to offer $43,500 out the door. I'm holding out for the gray interior and a trailer hitch if I'm paying a penny over $43,500.
Which dealer did you contact? Boucher or Van Horn? Both from Chucks list show options. May be worth comparing them and if there is a difference tell the dealer closer to you that you will be driving up to the other if they don't give you a better price.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
I have to agree... purchased 3, now with SC it will be 4th. Dealers have been great, speedy and without pressure. Shopped Kia before and found those dealers are also pretty low key & professional. Your millage my vary... but it has all good... along with service post sale. Spot on in terms of providing a great customer experience.
Getting a early production Santa Cruz built to my specifications (model, trim, color, etc...) makes paying MSRP much easier to swallow for me. I think any dealer that marks them up will suffer long-term. For those that want discounts or special incentives, all you have to do is wait longer, constantly check all the dealers in the area you are willing to drive to, and hope something shows up that someone else didn't order or doesn't want. I will take a sure thing to my exact specifications at MSRP anytime over that time consuming process.

My recommendation for those that want a specific build, is to go talk to your dealers inventory and sales managers to get your build started.

PS: I have to wonder if the Santa Cruz is going to turn into something similar to the Mini Cooper launch with all their proud auto enthusiastic buyers "honking and waving" to each other as they pass on the roads of America. That was a fun time in the early years of the new Mini.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Which dealer did you contact? Boucher or Van Horn? Both from Chucks list show options. May be worth comparing them and if there is a difference tell the dealer closer to you that you will be driving up to the other if they don't give you a better price.
Doing that now, waiting for a reply from the second dealer. Will keep you posted. Both sales persons were confused when I asked about Santa Cruz. Both had no clue and both were surprised when the VIN number I gave them provided them with the info that a vehicle was allotted to them. Both told me late fall to start with, then started walking that back as I asked more questions. One dealer said would try to get ETA.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Getting a early production Santa Cruz built to my specifications (model, trim, color, etc...) makes paying MSRP much easier to swallow for me. I think any dealer that marks them up will suffer long-term. For those that want discounts or special incentives, all you have to do is wait longer, constantly check all the dealers in the area you are willing to drive to, and hope something shows up that someone else didn't order or doesn't want. I will take a sure thing to my exact specifications at MSRP anytime over that time consuming process.

My recommendation for those that want a specific build, is to go talk to your dealers inventory and sales managers to get your build started.

PS: I have to wonder if the Santa Cruz is going to turn into something similar to the Mini Cooper launch with all their proud auto enthusiastic buyers "honking and waving" to each other as they pass on the roads of America. That was a fun time in the early years of the new Mini.
The two dealers I'm talking to said the vehicles headed to them have no name assigned to them and first person to put down a deposit is the person that gets it. I asked about my $100. reservation fee holding the vehicle and the one just laughed out loud. Both said give us $1,000 and we will hold for you.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
The two dealers I'm talking to said the vehicles headed to them have no name assigned to them and first person to put down a deposit is the person that gets it. I asked about my $100. reservation fee holding the vehicle and the one just laughed out loud. Both said give us $1,000 and we will hold for you.
Well then, open up that dusty wallet and go put a down payment on the one you want! If neither are what you want, then have them do a priority request for what you do want. Money talks and a personal meeting with your chosen dealer will ease your pain. If it doesn't, change dealers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow, what jerks, your a presale and they act as if they are the only ones getting a golden SC.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow, what jerks, your a presale and they act as if they are the only ones getting a golden SC.
Another WOW if it’s what you want and you know all the details or paperwork showing out the door price and it’s acceptable to you than there is no big deal with the $1000 but they sound like a couple ****s that will bounce the price on you go into it with caution

·
Registered
126 Posts
Another WOW if it’s what you want and you know all the details or paperwork showing out the door price and it’s acceptable to you than there is no big deal with the $1000 but they sound like a couple ****s that will bounce the price on you go into it with caution
Or they can wait a few months and the laugh will be at the dealer's expense, after the initial buzz they'll be dealing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Back when I got my Element (2005), I would often go for more than a week without seeing another one. Surprisingly, even when I did encounter a fellow E-driver, they seldom waved back. Eventually, I decided it was because of the dark interior caused by the tinted windows, so I began flashing my headlights instead of waving -- even so, responses were rare. Go figure.

A further problem for us now is that you can't tell if it is a Santa Cruz or a Tucson until already past! :eek:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I can't tell if this is sarcasm. Kia/Hyundai are known to have the worst dealers in the industry. ****, half of them aren't even aware the SC exists. I'm still interested in the SC, but I can only imagine how awful the dealership experience is about to be.
I think all brands have a mix of the good & bad and even some of the better dealerships will still have a bad apple now and then. One issue that many are running into as far as the person answering the phone not having a clue about the SC is that at most mid-large dealers when you call in your call goes to their internet/phone people. The salespeople do have training from the manufacturer on new product - these people do not at most dealerships, which is a shame. Their only goal is to get your info and get you into the dealership - most are paid for each appointment they set and then an additional amount if the customer shows and then more if the salesperson sells them a car.

My suggestion rather than just calling the main dealer number is to look on their website where most dealers will have a meet the staff page. I know you can't always judge a book by it's cover, but first impressions are usually spot on. Find a salesperson you think you'll be comfortable with and call/email them directly (or if their number isn't listed, call the main number and ask for them) - or the inventory or sales manager.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
I found the Mini crowd and meets much like the VW crowd and meets back when I was a teenager in the 70's. Don't know where you are from, but here in The OC SoCal we had Bug-ins at the local speedway/fairgrounds. Mini clubs had smaller meets too and Mini Corporate driving events were a kick in the pants. They let you race their cars around a short track to test drive them at their limit.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
I still cannot believe Hyundai cannot post the trims/option packages/prices on their website, so a person can make an educated decision about which trim to get. It's like pulling teeth to find out exactly what is on each trim level.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I still cannot believe Hyundai cannot post the trims/option packages/prices on their website, so a person can make an educated decision about which trim to get. It's like pulling teeth to find out exactly what exactly is on each trim level.
Its sad... so until someone decides to do copy & paste this is the best place to go: en_US
Even then you still have to cross reference pricing here: Pricing is live
And check the color matrix here: Santa Cruz interior color choices
At this point Hyundai should be paying us on this forum for connecting the dots and informing their customers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As you call tell form the post, I got the calls! The time frame was "a couple weeks". Which would be great because the inspection on my trade-in dies the end of this month!

SEL, AWD with Activity Package in Hampton Gray instead of the Sage Gray I ordered, but that was my second choice anyway. And I know there's no guarantee I will land that one, but at least they are getting closer!
Just received the call, and an email; copied from VM:
Hi *my name is * and I'm calling you from Hyundai concierge. I'm reaching out with you regarding your interest in a Hyundai Santa Cruz with news. The pricing has been released and the vehicle will start arriving at dealerships over the next several weeks and we will be sending your information to request this dealership to coordinate with you in finding the vehicle of your choice. So you can expect to hear from them in the coming weeks. And if you are no longer interested in the vehicle, please let us know so that you could receive a refund of your deposit. You will receive an email from us that you can reply to you. Thank you, and have a good day.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
Just received the call, and an email; copied from VM:
Hi *my name is * and I'm calling you from Hyundai concierge. I'm reaching out with you regarding your interest in a Hyundai Santa Cruz with news. The pricing has been released and the vehicle will start arriving at dealerships over the next several weeks and we will be sending your information to request this dealership to coordinate with you in finding the vehicle of your choice. So you can expect to hear from them in the coming weeks. And if you are no longer interested in the vehicle, please let us know so that you could receive a refund of your deposit. You will receive an email from us that you can reply to you. Thank you, and have a good day.
Exact same call I received.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts