Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1600 miles.

A few strange things. I'll condense it. Hyundai has a case number for it.

1. Came out of a customer site to find my driver and passenger windows down. This site is a major church center in San Antonio and the homeless are out in full force. I am ultra careful in my actions at this facility.

2. Power assist tailgate deployed while driving, scattering my inventory and tools to the roadway, Needless to say, the roadhawks made off with anything of value after I discovered the issue.

3. The door lock sensors are easily confused? Press the unlock and it tries to relock itself? Time and time again. Attempt to lock it? Better not have a grip on the door handle. Big PITA in a downpour.

4. Moon roof switch needs to be shoved to open the hatch? Significant force needed at times, work fine at other times.

5. Feels like it stalls sometimes between shifts 1st to 2nd maybe 2nd to third. I get the dual clutch design. Registered Beemer tech, Dealership level line tech, mechanic above all else.

I know this vehicle was rushed to production however my previous experience with Hyundai have been positive. Sad to think that a 23K vehicle is wellm sorted over a 40k vehicle.

·
Administrator
77 Posts
Well, it's really a $25K vehicle with $15K in options. But, I get your point - even $25K vehicles should be trouble-free. :)

Several Ridgeline owners have complained about finding their windows and sunroof open unexpectedly - sometimes during a rain. Sometimes, this has been traced to inadvertently pressing and holding the unlock button on the remote. This feature can't be disabled. I'm not sure if the Santa Cruz is similar.

I notice that issues 1-4 all have the "body control module" in common.

·
Registered
893 Posts
2. Power assist tailgate deployed while driving, scattering my inventory and tools to the roadway, Needless to say, the roadhawks made off with anything of value after I discovered the issue.
Was the FOB in your pocket? Same thing was happening to the C8 frunks, GM changed the software to lock out the button's function when the vehicle is in drive. Sounds like Hyundai should do the same. GM claimed the button was being pressed accidentally by owners... I could see that happening in jeans.

·
Registered
35 Posts
1600 miles.

A few strange things. I'll condense it. Hyundai has a case number for it.

1. Came out of a customer site to find my driver and passenger windows down. This site is a major church center in San Antonio and the homeless are out in full force. I am ultra careful in my actions at this facility.

3. The door lock sensors are easily confused? Press the unlock and it tries to relock itself? Time and time again. Attempt to lock it? Better not have a grip on the door handle. Big PITA in a downpour.

4. Moon roof switch needs to be shoved to open the hatch? Significant force needed at times, work fine at other times.

5. Feels like it stalls sometimes between shifts 1st to 2nd maybe 2nd to third. I get the dual clutch design. Registered Beemer tech, Dealership level line tech, mechanic above all else.

I know this vehicle was rushed to production however my previous experience with Hyundai have been positive. Sad to think that a 23K vehicle is wellm sorted over a 40k vehicle.
Weird. I haven't had any problems. I hope you get your issues sorted out. Sounds like this is a Friday batch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't gotten the feeling of stalling yet, but today the transmission was holding it's gear much longer than usual. I was going about 40 MPH and my RPMs were up to over 3k. I let off the gas and then then back on and everything seemed fine. Happened twice in about a 10 minute period. Not sure what the issue is, but I only have about 150 miles on it so far so I suppose it could be a function of the ECU still learning my behavior.

I also wonder though if it's due to something related to the drive mode. Something else I've noticed in the past couple days is that sometimes the SC seems to default to Snow mode...at least, I think it does. It doesn't actually say "snow" on the dash, but when I hit the drive mode button, it's started in the Snow mode position on 2 different occasions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When shifting into drive, do not pull the shifter to the left, that puts the trans into a different shifting mode. Push it to the right while in drive.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I haven't gotten the feeling of stalling yet, but today the transmission was holding it's gear much longer than usual. I was going about 40 MPH and my RPMs were up to over 3k. I let off the gas and then then back on and everything seemed fine. Happened twice in about a 10 minute period. Not sure what the issue is, but I only have about 150 miles on it so far so I suppose it could be a function of the ECU still learning my behavior.

I also wonder though if it's due to something related to the drive mode.
Has happened to me a couple of times, and I believe I was in Sport mode each time. Happens when I'm accelerating hard and let off the gas. It will stay in the lower gear that I was in as I was accelerating and the RPMs are above 3k like you said. It won't upshift. What I've done is use the paddle shifters to manually upshift to the next gear.

When shifting into drive, do not pull the shifter to the left, that puts the trans into a different shifting mode. Push it to the right while in drive.
Confirmed that it's not in manual shifting mode. It's in regular drive mode. Like I said, I think it's happenening when the drive mode is in Sport and you accelerate hard and let off the accelerator at top end of band.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same as the last poster, I confirmed I wasn't in manual shift mode when this happened (I know I wasn't because later on this same drive, when I got on the highway, I did put it into manual mode on purpose).

I spent some time reading over the owner's manual last night, and there was a statement in there that makes me think this is normal behavior. It's on page 6-23 and it says "During the first 1,000 miles, you may feel that the vehicle may not be smooth when accelerating at low speed. During this break-in period, the shift quality and performance of your new vehicle is continuously optimized."

So hopefully these transmission hiccups are just temporary and will be sorted out soon.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium
4 Posts
So hopefully these transmission hiccups are just temporary and will be sorted out soon
I had the same feeling about my SEL Premium. Between 0-5 mph and accelerating from a rolling stop, it felt like the transmission would stutter. I drove most of my break in miles between normal and sport mode, with a few blips here and there (passing people, leaving traffic circles, just having some plan fun with the turbo). It's around 750 miles and the acceleration is much smoother, but sometimes noticeable if the engine hasn't warmed up yet. I'd say give it a little more time to break in before getting too worried.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I had the same feeling about my SEL Premium. Between 0-5 mph and accelerating from a rolling stop, it felt like the transmission would stutter. I'd say give it a little more time to break in before getting too worried.
Given the nature of the DCT I too think it might not be smooth until broken in. As noted by @Canadienbcn the manual specifically mentions this as well.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium
4 Posts
Given the nature of the DCT I too think it might not be smooth until broken in. As noted by @Canadienbcn the manual specifically mentions this as well.
For sure, I thought I would share my experience since this is my first turbo and I'm learning a lot from everyone here. More or less an affirmation that it's fine and not to panic lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
For sure, I thought I would share my experience since this is my first turbo and I'm learning a lot from everyone here. More or less an affirmation that it's fine and not to panic lol
Same thing for me. Not my first turbo, but is my first DCT. After driving several manual transmissions, I don't really think this one "feels like a manual" at all, but definitely different from my wife's CVT in her Forester. One thing I have noticed for sure is the engine braking when you take your foot off the gas at lower speeds...I guess that's really the only "manual-like" thing I've noticed.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
859 Posts
One thing I have noticed for sure is the engine braking when you take your foot off the gas at lower speeds...I guess that's really the only "manual-like" thing I've noticed.
And that right there is something I have SERIOUSLY missed from years of automatics. When I take my foot off the gas, I want the vehicle to slow down. Maybe I'm weird like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well after driving a Kona for 20K with the DCT it is a night and day difference. The Kona lurched and hunted for a gear at low speed constantly.
The SC just feels like it stumbles occasionally but it is a definite improvement over the Kona DCT. I am at 2K as of today. Less smart mode driving an more punch and rpm stuff. Will see if it rears it's ugly head again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just hit 1050 miles today on mine and can’t say I’ve had any issues.

Does the sc have That option to rolls the windows down from the key fob. Our acura does that but I didn't think hyundai had that.

I tried hitting the tailgate button when the wife was driving away one day and nothing happened so if that was the problem, they fixed it.

Only thing I’ve felt drivetrain wise is the clicking when I punch it off the line. Not everytime, maybe 25% of the time. Other then that it’s been smooth and I drive it like i stole it most of the time. 🤣😂

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just hit 1000 miles and I haven’t had any negative experiences. I just sold my Audi Q7 and it had a VERY touchy key fob. I have raised the hatch numerous times by accident just having the fob in my pocket. I haven’t had any of the described issues yet. Keeping my fingers crossed. Limited AWD, 2.5T, I typically leave it in normal setting and drive fairly conservative.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just hit 1000 miles and I haven’t had any negative experiences. I just sold my Audi Q7 and it had a VERY touchy key fob. I have raised the hatch numerous times by accident just having the fob in my pocket. I haven’t had any of the described issues yet. Keeping my fingers crossed. Limited AWD, 2.5T, I typically leave it in normal setting and drive fairly conservative.
If I might ask Big D, what was the MSRP on your SC? Thanx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just hit 1050 miles today on mine and can’t say I’ve had any issues.

Does the sc have That option to rolls the windows down from the key fob. Our acura does that but I didn't think hyundai had that.

I tried hitting the tailgate button when the wife was driving away one day and nothing happened so if that was the problem, they fixed it.

Only thing I’ve felt drivetrain wise is the clicking when I punch it off the line. Not everytime, maybe 25% of the time. Other then that it’s been smooth and I drive it like i stole it most of the time. 🤣😂
9mm

1 - 20 of 33 Posts