Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Has anyone removed the grille yet? I am looking to black it out soon and was wondering how much of a pain it is going to be.
I tried a couple of days ago. I was unable to remove the top shroud. pulled a the bolts and plastic fasteners, but there are other hidden fasteners. I'll wait for someone else to break their toy first and learn vicariously.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
I tried a couple of days ago. I was unable to remove the top shroud. pulled a the bolts and plastic fasteners, but there are other hidden fasteners. I'll wait for someone else to break their toy first and learn vicariously.
Same with me a while back. All i wanted to do was remove the big Hyundai "H" emblem, but that top shroud had me stumped too...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Same with me a while back. All i wanted to do was remove the big Hyundai "H" emblem, but that top shroud had me stumped too...
What are you going to replace the Drunken "H"with?
All I want to do is place some nylon window screen in front of the ac condenser to keep the bugs from clogging the cooling fins. It works really well and is easy to clean.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
What are you going to replace the Drunken "H"with?
First off I just wanted to see how it attached and get detailed measurements. My first thought was a custom made Santa Cruz "Easter Egg" emblem there.

This company makes custom emblems/badges if someone wanted to have a batch of Easter Egg emblems possibly with Santa Cruz lettering on it made up. Other themes or even a Santa Cruz Car Club emblem for members is doable. There's so many things that would look better than that huge Drunk'n H.

3D CHROME LOGOS, EMBLEMS, BADGES & DECALS - PIDPLATES
Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Silver Emblem

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Per the service manual the whole bumper has to come off to remove the grille. The shroud is part of the bumper and the grille is bolted to it from the inside. Due the shape I doubt you could reach the bolts from the top or the bottom unless, as show below, the whole thing is completely off the vehicle :oops: its all plastic and likely flexible but I would worry that too much stress could crack it and damage the paint.

Light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Trunk

·
Registered
353 Posts
First off I just wanted to see how it attached and get detailed measurements. My first thought was a custom made Santa Cruz "Easter Egg" emblem there.

This company makes custom emblems/badges if someone wanted to have a batch of Easter Egg emblems possibly with Santa Cruz lettering on it made up. Other themes or even a Santa Cruz Car Club emblem for members is doable. There's so many things that would look better than that huge Drunk'n H.

3D CHROME LOGOS, EMBLEMS, BADGES & DECALS - PIDPLATES
View attachment 4099
That's cool. I'd like to have the little trucks on fenders light up at night. I'm going to paint them with glow paint from the hobby shop to see if that works. It comes off easy enough.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Per the service manual the whole bumper has to come off to remove the grille. The shroud is part of the bumper and the grille is bolted to it from the inside. Due the shape I doubt you could reach the bolts from the top or the bottom unless, as show below, the whole thing is completely off the vehicle :oops: its all plastic and likely flexible but I would worry that too much stress could crack it and damage the paint.
Does the service manual give you step-by-step nut & bolt removal instructions? I wonder what the nut/bolt/clip removal count is to pull that whole front facia?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Does the service manual give you step-by-step nut & bolt removal instructions? I wonder what the nut/bolt/clip removal count is to pull that whole front facia?
It does... and its not that bad in terms of bolts: its 3 from the top, 4 on the bottom, the wheel arch trim has to come off, then 4 from inside each the wheel well, then the whole bumper just pulls off but be careful as the connector for the DRLs has to be unclipped. Clip wise its hard to tell how many are hiding in there.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium 2.5L GDI Turbo
10 Posts
Has anyone removed the grille yet? I am looking to black it out soon and was wondering how much of a pain it is going to be.
I too am looking to blackout the grille and based upon what I've experienced with my Veloster and my Kona taking the front bumper off and them removing the grille from the inside was really easy and with what I'm seeing here it's pretty much the same concept. It's something I might even tackle next week, when I do I'll take some pictures and keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
Limited
301 Posts
I was looking around ebay the other day and came across this. It looks like the whole grill with DRLs come off seperately.

That auction is not for the grill and DRL, it's just the grill. Look at the pictures. You can see there are no electronics in it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am looking to blackout the grille and based upon what I've experienced with my Veloster and my Kona taking the front bumper off and them removing the grille from the inside was really easy and with what I'm seeing here it's pretty much the same concept. It's something I might even tackle next week, when I do I'll take some pictures and keep everyone posted.
Did you take the grill off yet? I am thinking of taking mine off to repair a few cracks in the lower part of the front end. I was driving in a rain storm and an orange highway construction barrel blew over and struck the front of my SC. The only damage appears to be a few cracks on that lower black plastic part of the front end. I hope to use some epoxy to make it firm again. I would appreciate any insights on taking the front off.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium 2.5L GDI Turbo
10 Posts
Did you take the grill off yet? I am thinking of taking mine off to repair a few cracks in the lower part of the front end. I was driving in a rain storm and an orange highway construction barrel blew over and struck the front of my SC. The only damage appears to be a few cracks on that lower black plastic part of the front end. I hope to use some epoxy to make it firm again. I would appreciate any insights on taking the front off.

Thank you in advance.
LOL No, this has been one the most consistently cold winters I've experienced in a long time. Usually, we'd have a week somewhere when it gets sunny and about 60 for a couple of days so I could do something outdoors but not this year. We might be finally heading into the Spring thaw though. When I get to it I will be back with Photos.

·
Registered
43 Posts
LOL No, this has been one the most consistently cold winters I've experienced in a long time. Usually, we'd have a week somewhere when it gets sunny and about 60 for a couple of days so I could do something outdoors but not this year. We might be finally heading into the Spring thaw though. When I get to it I will be back with Photos.
I took my entire bumper off and removed the grille and plasti-dipped it. It was well worth the effort!
Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
43 Posts
So you took the front bumper off huh? Is it a safe 1 man job? How hard was it to put back together? Thanks
Yeah we took the full bumper off, full disclaimer im a parts manager at a Hyundai dealer and one of my techs took it off and it most definitely took two of us to reinstall it. We also had a shop manual with full instructions on where every clip and bolt was. I felt like taking it off and disassembling it was the best way to get the most coverage though.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah we took the full bumper off, full disclaimer im a parts manager at a Hyundai dealer and one of my techs took it off and it most definitely took two of us to reinstall it. We also had a shop manual with full instructions on where every clip and bolt was. I felt like taking it off and disassembling it was the best way to get the most coverage though.
Does the bumper and grill come off as unit or each separately, and did you install a condenser screen to prevent foreign object damage that some owners have reported on?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts