Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an idea from an owner in a FB group and copied his project. If you buy two 5/8 inch cabinet locks with the shallow depth you can turn one of the 1/4 turn twist locks from each side into additional lockable storage. I purchased 2 of these individual packages that were keyed alike.
Font Material property Magenta Thumb Nail
Trunk Vehicle door Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
833 Posts
I don't get it... Could you flesh out the idea a little more?
The plastic twist lock mechanism, rather than throw one of them away, cut off the cap portion that is visible that you twist with your fingers, in a way that its a bit hollowed out, perhaps with a dremel. Epoxy a small thin rare earth magnet to the inside face of the plastic cap, something like this in whatever size is correct (obviously don't need to buy a hundred): https://www.amazon.com/Magnets-Neodymium-Adhesive-Backing-Whiteboard/dp/B098BHQ1QB/

The plastic cap wouldn't serve any purpose other than magnetically snapping onto the metal lock mechanism to make it look uniform and factory. You'd just pop it off whenever unlocking and then snap it back on. The magnet holds it in place.

Its just cosmetic and would keep the lock mechanism clean, but you can also just spray paint it flat black.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I saw an idea from an owner in a FB group and copied his project. If you buy two 5/8 inch cabinet locks with the shallow depth you can turn one of the 1/4 turn twist locks from each side into additional lockable storage. I purchased 2 of these individual packages that were keyed alike. View attachment 2480 View attachment 2482
that was me in FB group thanks for passing it on I forgot to post it here

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,245 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Nice. Found this set with the round keys ... set of two: Tubular Cam Lock with Chrome Finish, Keyed Alike Removable Key (17 mm 90°, Black Pack of 2), Locks - Amazon Canada
I just might go that route! Yeah, they're not completely theft-proof, but nothing is. Just makes it a bit harder for the bad guys.
The great thing about round keys is that if you ever misplace the key, you can just take any standard plastic pen, open it, and use the tube pushed into the mechanism to open them. No skill needed, literally just jam it in there, wiggle, twist, and it will open, lol!

They are the easiest to defeat of all known key types. Had to do that twice myself on quick-access gun safes where the biometric reader batteries died and we had no clue where we put the backup keys as they weren't in our keybin stash. Searched it on youtube, and voila, took me all of 60 seconds. Better than nothing though.

If its a smaller one, you can also use a straw. Basically anything that's about the same diameter and plastic will work:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Good idea. My boat uses those same cam locks on the hatches. I had no idea they were so easy to defeat but can tell you they will take plenty of abuse. Dirt, mud, sand, saltwater... nothing messes them up, they just keep working thanks to being such a simple design. I've never lubed them in 20 years and yet they still unlock easily.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey..Cool ideas. Definitely works so you don't have to carry keys!
Here is a photo of the installed lock -- I used part from the original lock and just bent it upward a little so it would fit. Works great.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts