1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD with Activity Package in Hampton Gray
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I had ceramic coating applied to my Santa Cruz. The pictures don’t do it justice. I have always loved my Hampton Gray paint but now the Hampton Gray is really enhanced by this application.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've had a quality ceramic on my last three vehicles. No substitute for it IMO. Lasts several years even with weekly touchless washes. No waxing and It also has UV protection.

They claim chip and scratch protection but ive seen no evidence of that. I had a plastic tarp eyelet scratch a nice place in one of mine a month after it was finished. Lol.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD with Activity Package in Hampton Gray
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@rriddell116

I had a professional detailer do it. He charged me $1000. It will last a year or more. Since I live in AZ and we get very little rain and I park in my SC in my garage it should last longer. You can do it yourself but the detailer skips no steps and uses a professional grade product that is expensive not a DIY spray.

It looks great and when you do wash it makes washing easier.

You might compare the cost to getting maybe 6 wash/wax jobs during a year from a professional detailer that would probably cost $200 each. With ceramic you do it once in a year or so. Your mileage may vary.

Here is some good information…

·
Registered
408 Posts
How much does the ceramic coating cost?
Id say 1500 to 4k based on product or vehicle size. Not cheap. But any reputable shop will do a full paint correction first. Even on new vehicles because any imperfections are amplified by ceramic. Newer paints are probably more durable but have far more waves/peel/runs/blemishes etc than some from the past. Those stick out more with ceramic. And if you ever install professional ceramic its tough work. You don't wipe it on and wipe it off. Its almost like an epoxy process. You put it on, level it under a bright light, in one direction and then finish it. Some are ir cured between coats. Just the strip wash and prep is several hours.

Obviously there are consumer level ceramics that individuals and even some shops apply that do wipe on and may advertise a year or more But for a pro ceramic that lasts several years regardless of what you do or the car sitting outside in monsoon weather it will cost. A bad ceramic job with good pro ceramic is a disaster. And you don't wipe it off and start over. Lol. You DA it off and it will take a while. A buddy of mine had a red Ferrari that had to be painted due to bitched ceramic install. Even the at home ceramics ive used and seen looked good for a good while. Better than the best waxes I've used in the past. Some quite expensive

So it depends on the ceramic entirely. A wipe on at home ceramic may be 300 dollars and last a year. A spray on low solids ceramic will be far cheaper but last a month or two. A good professional ceramic that lasts 4 years may be 4k or more on an suv or truck. BUT you won't have to wax for 4 or more years and still look like a freshly waxed vehicle (some claim 10 years but im skeptical) And the UV rays won't attack your clear.

·
Registered
2022, Super Charged Premium,
34 Posts
You must be single with no support for wife, kids, etc. or earn well over $100K annually to add ceramic to a car. Nice addition to your car but it wont hold up where I live. Where I live it rains a lot (60+ inches a year over 9 months each year ) so daily driving gets the car wet everyday and stays that way unless I park in a covered gargae.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts