Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my SC SEL, but hate the ugly Hologen headlights. The contrast horribly with the nice clean white lights. Hyundai really should consider LED headlights in all models.

Now to find a place to swap mine out. Unfortunately due to back problems I'm not able to crawl around and change them out.

Was hoping my dealership would, but they claim they are not permitted to remove factory items and install non factory items.

Would be super nice if Hyundai made a LED replacement bulb.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Love my SC SEL, but hate the ugly Hologen headlights. The contrast horribly with the nice clean white lights. Hyundai really should consider LED headlights in all models.

Now to find a place to swap mine out. Unfortunately due to back problems I'm not able to crawl around and change them out.

Was hoping my dealership would, but they claim they are not permitted to remove factory items and install non factory items.

Would be super nice if Hyundai made a LED replacement bulb.
Would be hard to get a Hyundai dealer to do non-DOT compliant work. they would be opening themselves up for a huge lawsuit.
Most did the swap themselves as far as I can tell…

Again, no-way any manufacture in North America would do a LED replacement for halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
592 Posts
One poster on the SC FB page swears that Hyundai did that very thing - put an LED bulb in the headlight unit designed for halogens. Not sure if I believe him.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As a CDL retired driver I ask why would you swap a oem halogen ulb for a knock off led. The led so called replacement bulbs are not adjusted or projected the same as the original equipment bulbs. They may void your warranty. They appear brighter , but at distance they are diffused and not sharp like halogen. To sum it all up If it's not broke , don't fix it!

·
Registered
174 Posts
As a CDL retired driver I ask why would you swap a oem halogen ulb for a knock off led. The led so called replacement bulbs are not adjusted or projected the same as the original equipment bulbs. They may void your warranty. They appear brighter , but at distance they are diffused and not sharp like halogen. To sum it all up If it's not broke , don't fix it!
Mostly it’s for aesthetics. I can’t for the life of me figure out why they would offer a vehicle with the DRL in LEDs and not the headlights. Seems like a small cost for a big impact :🤷:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nobody said they were broke. Just doesn't fit my taste and doesn't match the other nice crisp white lights on the front. As far as voiding the warranty, as long as they aren't throwing codes or flickering, the only warranty voided would be headlight warranty and even if throwing codes or flickering, they would be hard pressed to void a vehicle warranty for just that.

I do admitt, they may not be the best for long range projection and possibly HID would be better, but then you will definitely need resistors and that would be tampering with the electrical system by adding a resistor which could void the entire electrical system, where as an LED which is Canbus approved, is just P&P, has no electrical modifications to make it work.

I still haven't figured out why Hyundai didn't include the LEDs in all their models or at least provide for a accessory upgrade kit, it would definitely be a money maker.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
592 Posts
Nobody said they were broke. Just doesn't fit my taste and doesn't match the other nice crisp white lights on the front. As far as voiding the warranty, as long as they aren't throwing codes or flickering, the only warranty voided would be headlight warranty and even if throwing codes or flickering, they would be hard pressed to void a vehicle warranty for just that.

I do admitt, they may not be the best for long range projection and possibly HID would be better, but then you will definitely need resistors and that would be tampering with the electrical system by adding a resistor which could void the entire electrical system, where as an LED which is Canbus approved, is just P&P, has no electrical modifications to make it work.

I still haven't figured out why Hyundai didn't include the LEDs in all their models or at least provide for a accessory upgrade kit, it would definitely be a money maker.
Don’t feel bad. Honda does not include high beam LED’s in their top of the Ridgeline either.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Won't void warranty, and halogens are the lowest lumen output of all the techs, and are at a temperature range that is both not ideal for seeing at night and is tacky contrasting with the DRLs and generally just give off a "old school" budget vibe.

The switch on street lights from halogen/sodium to LED is a no-brainer since LEDs are now cheap and much more power efficient, but they can make LEDs in a wide range of colors now so that "daylight" 6K color is purely a choice. Why are they then choosing to use daylight light for street lights? Because people see much better in that range, and studies have shown that with whiter light, you can have half as many lumens and still be able to see as well as in very yellow light, so its a double-whammy. This is why you put daylight LEDs even in your home in work areas, and go with "warm" lights elsewhere since it can illuminate while being more soothing so you can wind down and sleep better (getting sleepy isn't really a goal while driving though for obvious reasons).
Car Vehicle Street light Automotive lighting Road surface

Automotive lighting Road surface Thoroughfare Electricity Sidewalk

Now, light control and desired "hot spots" can be an issue with poor quality LED replacement, as creating omnidirectional light from directional diodes is a challenge. If crappy, you can blind oncoming drivers and have poor "throw" in the distance, but its not inherent to all LEDs and usually only an issue w/ reflectors not projectors like on the SC.

If you can't find an LED that works well with your projectors, you can also always use HID kits. HIDs are designed to create omnidirectional light, and should cause no focus issues since they are a dot of light just like the halogen, only much much brighter, and you can get them in any color you want including 6K to match the DRLs. Look for 55W slim digital ballast ones for the highest output in the smallest package.

As you can see here, good HID kits can still rock over the latest LEDs too, so just because its "older tech" doesn't mean its worse, and you don't have to worry about "warm up" issues on the Santa Cruz as its just using a single projector so flash-to-pass highbeam is the same bulb:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have read all the comments and can understand where everyone is coming from but I just ask why wouldn't Hyundai put them in the SEL trim package and can Hyundai answer the question is it safe to swap out the Halogen for the led's?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have read all the comments and can understand where everyone is coming from but I just ask why wouldn't Hyundai put them in the SEL trim package and can Hyundai answer the question is it safe to swap out the Halogen for the led's?
Hyundai will not go against DOT regulations on modifying OEM equipment for any part of the lighting assembly. No manufacturer will. It’s not something that is enforced normally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you find any leds that worked for the low beams?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks. Contacted a Hyundai dealer today(parts) and was told it would cost $1200 to change the wiring. Any if I went with anything else it would void my warranty. At this point, I might just wait and see if the 2023 headlights have been upgraded across all trim levels.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Thanks. Contacted a Hyundai dealer today(parts) and was told it would cost $1200 to change the wiring. Any if I went with anything else it would void my warranty. At this point, I might just wait and see if the 2023 headlights have been upgraded across all trim levels.
1) Its not going to invalidate your entire warranty, that's against the law.
2) They're just bulbs, if you have an issue you take them out and put halogens back in, so wouldn't affect your warranty anyway.

Replacing halogen bulbs in projectors is extremely common mod. Unless you go with blue lights or something silly, they pass inspection w/o issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts