Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 750 miles on the SC I have to say I am really wishing the SC had more of a rear wheel drive bias. Or rather., I feel that I would be happier with it as a daily driver. I'm used to Volvo AWD with heavy vehicles.

The SC pitches and wollows at times through intersections. Tends to nose dive in the front with shifts or even just letting off the gas right before making the turn. The steering seems prone to agressiveley tighten after already being in the turn any unloading of torque from the front wheels, and very quickly feels like it's understeering with the throttle. Heklrky jerky at low speeds Where I live most roads have a year long film of sand.

I can't say what more a more RWD bias would be like , I just feel like it would be preferable.' I'm ignoring the issue of weight distribution over the rear wheels and the inherently riskier prospect of the rear in letting loose.

Transient loading and unloading of torque with the CVT shifts on wheels( tracking and steering effort) through the corners really amplify my PO perceptions I think.

Some vehicles would look at a rear sway bar help with the understeer feeling, not a thing with the SC obviously.

Overall it is a good vehicle to drive. But I would like to dial it in.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limitied (black/black)
87 Posts
Yeah...no CVT. 8 speed auto or 8 speed DC auto if you have a turbo.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Even in sport mode? In some Hyundais, sport mode gives more power to the rear wheels than the front ones.
It only transfers 50% of the power to the rear under 37 MPH in AWD lock from what I've gathered. So its a FWD vehicle that will route power to the rear but only when the front tires slip. There is a display in the dash that shows the power split. My brothers Golf R had the same problem and the aftermarket corrected it with an updated AWD controller. I assume the SC understeers and torque steers. It doesn't have torque vectoring like more sophisticated AWD systems. Its really a get-you-unstuck-in-snow/sand type of AWD and not a performance related AWD system.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
Is your Santa Cruz a Turbo/DCT or NA/Slushbox?

I get none of what you describe with my SEL AWD NA/Slushbox model.

You can try locking the AWD for normal cement driving to see if that gives a feel closer to what you are looking for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It only transfers 50% of the power to the rear under 37 MPH in AWD lock from what I've gathered. So its a FWD vehicle that will route power to the rear but only when the front tires slip. There is a display in the dash that shows the power split. My brothers Golf R had the same problem and the aftermarket corrected it with an updated AWD controller. I assume the SC understeers and torque steers. It doesn't have torque vectoring like more sophisticated AWD systems. Its really a get-you-unstuck-in-snow/sand type of AWD and not a performance related AWD system.
Hopefully one releases for the SC, the system is definitely not as advanced as Subaru's for example but I don't see why it couldn't be fixed such as the module you linked.

I wonder if it could be done through a tune also.

The SC did fail the 3 roller test that TFL did, it wasn't able to route enough power to one wheel when the other 3 are slipping, like good Awd vectoring systems do. They also didn't try snow or sand mode so perhaps that is more aggressive and would have done better.

·
Administrator
105 Posts
You'll need an AWD system that is primarily RWD (like BMW) or a FWD-based AWD system with that overdrives the rear wheels (like the Ridgeline) to get a RWD feel.

Regarding torque vectoring and roller tests...

·
Registered
Limited
180 Posts
Changes to the alignment could help the handling some. Most manufacturers set vehicles with understeer. Otherwise, an oversteer could lead to the rear end coming around. So typically an alignment shows good improvement.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Given this platform I assume it will always understeer. This ain't no sports car ;) its a quick truck-let, front engine with FWD. The only way its going to oversteer is due to lose of traction or if you purposely unloaded the rear, IE: heavy braking followed by aggressive turning inputs with the ESC system off. Most oversteer is throttle related, IE: breaking the rear tires loose / spinning the rears. There is no way the SC can send enough power rearward unless you are already on a lose surface. Might be fun to try however :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts