Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though I love the SC style and the pastel earthy colors…… I also love bright and fun colors as well. This vehicle is such a cool and fun concept and I can see people being creative with it. Has anyone thought of wrapping their SC? What colors would you put on it to give it a fun twist. If I could choose a color I think this would look really neat on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm thinking of a wrap, something bright blue. Once I buy a SC, that is. I've no experience with wraps, though. Is there a better color to buy the SC in, if you intend to wrap it a certain color? Or does it not matter?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
350 Posts
Since Hyundai forgot that bright colors exist, anything bright could work. Chameleon/color changing would be cool as well - the green to blue above works or I think blue to purple would be nice. I really think a camo would be cool. Originally I was thinking black & white over the Hampton Gray, but after seeing this, maybe red & black over the gray - this would also be an easier DIY project than what a full wrap would be.

Video of the process here:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since Hyundai forgot that bright colors exist, anything bright could work. Chameleon/color changing would be cool as well - the green to blue above works or I think blue to purple would be nice. I really think a camo would be cool. Originally I was thinking black & white over the Hampton Gray, but after seeing this, maybe red & black over the gray - this would also be an easier DIY project than what a full wrap would be.

View attachment 1898

Video of the process here:
I love the the chameleon changing colors. I think it would be fun to see all the customization on the SCs. I wonder how much it would cost to have a car wrapped or painted in that color

·
Registered
2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS
25 Posts
I'm thinking of a wrap, something bright blue. Once I buy a SC, that is. I've no experience with wraps, though. Is there a better color to buy the SC in, if you intend to wrap it a certain color? Or does it not matter?

It does not matter, it is essentially a vinyl sticker that covers your entire car. There are a couple other options out there (dipyourcar, superwrap, Professional whole car wraping) but they all cover the original color anyway.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've contacted the guy I use for wraps, tint, and paint protection to see if he thinks he can do something about the grill.
I bought blue stone, and I love the color, but I can't stand the cheap looking "silver" plastic in the grill.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've contacted the guy I use for wraps, tint, and paint protection to see if he thinks he can do something about the grill.
I bought blue stone, and I love the color, but I can't stand the cheap looking "silver" plastic in the grill.
I wonder how wrapping would cost…. Either way I think it would be fun to see a bright one out there. I always wanted to custom my car and what a fun vehicle it would be.

are the better and cheaper options out there besides wrapping?

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,076 Posts
A good wrap will cost almost as much as a decent paint job. Not a job I'd recommend for a first time DIY project, although certainly an option if you have the garage/patience for it.

I was REALLY hoping Hyundai would have launched with the yellow pictured above, that they had on one of the pre-production prototypes. I'd have been ALL over that.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The thing with wrapping is that its not permanent, doesn't hurt your warranty, and you can change it again if you like, but its not something I would tackle yourself and can be expensive depending on where you are.

The wrap will degrade over time in the sun and probably have to be redone after five years.

You don't have to get the entire car wrapped though, as you can start with a black one and do just the body, or visa versa start with a white car and just wrap the roof in black (cheapest option).

The black chrome will match with a lot more colors, but picking up a Limited is not cheap.

·
Registered
115 Posts
FYI, I talked to two different vinyl wrap guys and both said no to trying to wrap the grill, said it would be a batter job for paint or plastidip. I’m not sure I’m willing to do either, so it’ll stay stock for now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I have called around and it honestly doesn’t matter what color you buy your SC in. The wrap will cover the existing color as well as protect the original paint job.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The only thing that might matter to some people is the fact that most installers are only going to wrap the exterior facing body panels. You will likely see the factory color in the door jams, under the hood, around the interior edges of the open doors, etc. for most people it probably doesn’t matter at all, but I personally would be annoyed if the factory color and my wrap color were grossly differing colors that clash against each other (worst thing I can imagine is a red and green Christmas clash). For this reason, black, white, grey would be my personal choices if my intention was to wrap it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have called around and it honestly doesn’t matter what color you buy your SC in. The wrap will cover the existing color as well as protect the original paint job.
Thanks for the info! Did you happen to have to get any idea on cost?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I haven’t personally gotten any quotes for the SC, but I do know that a good quality wrap job, using quality materials, and a trusted installer can cost as much as a paint job, and is only expected to to last about 5 years. In general, I’ve seen complete vehicle wraps starting in the $3000-$5000 range, and going up from there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Call me OCD (it is so true; ask my wife!), but I always do full PPF coverage on any new car we buy. New paint is only new once, and PPF keeps it that way. With the advent of new "fashion" PPF films, one can create most any look they want.

PPF protects better and lasts longer than vinyl wraps, has a self-leveling top clearcoat, and typically a 10 year warranty.

For example: didn't go super crazy with the Soul when I bought it 2 years ago, but wanted to protect it, and look a bit different than every other one I see one the road daily.
1) Full PPF on every painted surface.
2) Black PPF on roof for a 2 tone.
3) Smoke PPF on door mirror turn signals, tail lights, rear reflectors & emblems.

As purchased:
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate
With PPF (Rear spoiler & wheels):
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Cloud Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

Looking forward to getting creative with the SC, should a Hampton Gray Limited ever show up. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts