Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limited, Sage Gray
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Limited SC from Don Moore Hyundai in Owensboro Kentucky only to drive straight out into the worst rain I’ve ever been in. 40+ miles of back country roads at night and being able to max out at 30mph.
Headlights did their job but I noticed one small issue that I haven’t seen anyone else discuss, the headlights are housed where fog lights usually are. About 5 drivers in the opposite lane flashed their high beams at me before I figured out that they think my headlights aren’t on. The flashing continued the rest of the nights drive.

If you pick up your Santa Cruz be ready to get a lot of high beams flashed at you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

For reference this is what our SC looks like to other drivers at night. I can understand the confusion on their part.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't been on the other end of the lights yet so I can't say for sure but that's plausible.

·
Registered
Black Limited
88 Posts
If you pick up your Santa Cruz be ready to get a lot of high beams flashed at you.
Wonder if it might be part of that neat way the low beams block glare with that "V" shape for the benefit of the oncoming driver. Have never seen this before and I thought it was pretty slick.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Unlikely IMO. Most likely the lights were adjusted wrong from the factory and you're blinding them. I don't know why they can't get this right, but we've had two cars that were off, one was waaaay too low the other too high. Lots of youtube videos on how to adjust them perfectly. Its a easy fix, but I don't know if its the dealerships that are supposed to to that or the factory. If its the dealership, then twice we've also been let drive off with around 50psi in the tires, lol! Two weeks back I also had a guy that was riding on a pretty busy highway with his highbeams on the whole time behind us, so hopefully it wasn't just that seeing as the vehicle is new easy to hit wrong buttons. shrugs

·
Registered
Black Limited
88 Posts
Unlikely IMO. Most likely the lights were adjusted wrong from the factory and you're blinding them.
You might be right. First thing I did was test mine that night. They were adjusted perfectly so I was happy. Tires were the same (36 psi). Checked all the fluids that I could and all were OK. Now if they could just get my Bluelink working I'd be a happy camper!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had my SC for a few days and have not had any issues like that. I have also been using the automatic high beams. Even that seems to work well as I have not had anyone flashing their high beams at me.

I would check the beam against a wall of a garage door. See if one or both are not adjusted properly.

About 13 minutes in you can see he shows the headlights, their patterns, as well as the automatic high beam activated. See if that pattern matches yours. It may need to be adjusted by the dealer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hyundai calls it High Beam Assist. On their website, it shows that feature on all Santa Cruz models.

Click this link and on the left-hand side, it lists the different trim levels. Under that, there is a link that says "Compare trims". Click that and you can pick three trims. Then it shows what is standard or optional on each trim.

·
Registered
2022 White Santa Cruz Limited
64 Posts
I'm with the op. I have people constantly flashing me. You can clearly see the headlights have perfect aim. On oncoming vehicles the SC LOW beams are just at their bumpers. This gets complicated by hills in the road though. Compared to my velosters these lights are awesome. It's just a small annoyance. I simply flash my high beams to show that they are seeing my low beams.

·
Registered
156 Posts
On oncoming vehicles the SC LOW beams are just at their bumpers. This gets complicated by hills in the road though.
This ^. Same with my wife's Santa Fe and a little with my old Miatas.

The lights are mounted pretty low, so they're aimed at a pretty shallow angle in order to shine down the road. Add in the razor sharp cut-off of the projector LED and when you hit a bump, crest a hill, etc it's pretty easy for them to be aimed directly into oncoming traffic's eyeballs. The Santa Fe doesn't have the SC's load-leveling rear shocks, so if we're loaded down with passengers/gear it's even worse.

Earlier this week I had an SUV coming at me in my truck and it seemed like they had their high beams on.... it was a Santa Fe like my wife's. We get flashed (get your head out of the gutter :p ) in it pretty regularly (yes, I've verified the aim multiple times).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wonder if it might be part of that neat way the low beams block glare with that "V" shape for the benefit of the oncoming driver. Have never seen this before and I thought it was pretty slick.
It took me about a week to figure out the small “v” seen in the headlight projection is for oncoming drivers. I noticed the v fits perfectly with opposing traffic. Love this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think people believe we’re either driving with brights on or just our fog lights. I’m getting flashed as well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think people believe we’re either driving with brights on or just our fog lights. I’m getting flashed as well.
Is this a potential "design flaw?" Something "we" must live with? Non-issue? Is there a fix? Just wondering (will in no way effect my decision)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just saw a review of a Mitsubishi SUV that has its headlights in the same position. I think people will be less confused once more vehicles are on the road with new headlight locations. Although flashing is tedious (in most cases lol) the other drives are usually trying to help.

Maybe Hyundai can market that - buy a Santa Cruz and get flashed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What I have noticed; beam level is skewed on driver's side just perceptibly higher.AND much more to the left

Picked up my Premium AWD today, drove it home , twilight and after dark. Definitely think that some alignment issues are afoot.

There is a W effect on the car, a double notch. Maybe it is midpoibt of the beam focus. For me the center point of the W is almost aligned with the drivers mirror, the bulk of the beam over into the other lane. last time I adjusted beams on a car was it mentioned good practice to do the opposite of to align them to the passager side.

I would like to get hold of a dealer maint page on the process

·
Registered
115 Posts
What I have noticed; beam level is skewed on driver's side just perceptibly higher.AND much more to the left

Picked up my Premium AWD today, drove it home , twilight and after dark. Definitely think that some alignment issues are afoot.

There is a W effect on the car, a double notch. Maybe it is midpoibt of the beam focus. For me the center point of the W is almost aligned with the drivers mirror, the bulk of the beam over into the other lane. last time I adjusted beams on a car was it mentioned good practice to do the opposite of to align them to the passager side.

I would like to get hold of a dealer maint page on the process
I'm a bit confused by what everyone is talking about regarding the "v" in the headlight projection, and also what you mention about the W effect.

I just took delivery of my SC and I think I'm experiencing something very similar to you. The driver's side beam is a bit higher than the passenger side. We could tell this when in the driveway looking at the garage door. On the road, when it's dark, I'm noticing that there is a notch like a triangle where the Driver's and Passenger's beams meet in the center of the road. It's almost like there is a black triangle sticking out in the beam pattern guiding me. It's weird and it's very distracting, especially on a very dark road.

But one things for sure, I think I'm going to need them to look at the headlight alignment and then maybe that will also take care of the weird pattern shape I'm seeing.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts