Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I'm a "seasoned citizen" and have been lurking on this forum for awhile and have been watching with interest as the Santa Cruz has come into actual being.

I don't have a Santa Cruz yet, but I've test driven an SEL Premium AWD turbo and an SEL FWD normally aspirated.

I'll definitely be getting an AWD turbo at some point and my wife really liked the FWD NA version. So, we could theoretically end up with two. Maybe. :p

·
Registered
603 Posts
If you recognize this tune, sing along with me: "Whatever SWMBO wants, SWMBO gets."

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,075 Posts
Just make sure they're different colors. Wouldn't want to accidently take the wrong one. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Glad you joined us. I too am a “seasoned citizen”. I went from a full sized truck to a Santa Cruz Limited. Don’t miss the big truck at all.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome, guys! I'm glad to be here. :)

We're a 2 truck family at the moment. Both are Ford F-150s, mine's a 1995 regular cab with 8' bed and my wife's is a 2016 Crew Cab with 5.5' bed. I also drive a 2020 Kia Sportage.

My wife's truck will be put up for sale very soon. It's in the shop being detailed now. I'm conflicted about selling my F-150 though. It's paid off and that means something. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome. I will never see 70 again...but I am very interested in the SC. Wouldn't be funny if-after all their market research and probing-it turned out their biggest market was boomers. So much for market research. (Two well known reviewers pronounced the SC a perfect GGV-a Grandma Garden Vehicle.)

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,075 Posts
I hear ya about selling the old 'paid for' vehicles. I have two in the driveway that are paid for, don't owe me nothing. Once I get the SC in the next couple of weeks, we'll have two car payments on the go and nothing in the 'paid off' pile. My old C1500 is two years newer than your F-150, and just got a new transmission 3 years ago. Hopefully somebody who has the facilities to fix all the body work will give it a good home. That truck has been SUPER reliable since I picked it up for $1500 in 2014. Well, other than the transmission thing. But they're a known weak point past a certain mileage. That 5.0L Vortec ... runs like a top.

As far as marketing goes ... it always goes young. Makes us feel youthful as we age. LOL

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome. I will never see 70 again...but I am very interested in the SC. Wouldn't be funny if-after all their market research and probing-it turned out their biggest market was boomers. So much for market research. (Two well known reviewers pronounced the SC a perfect GGV-a Grandma Garden Vehicle.)
Love the Straight Pipe Guys! I'm 55 and I had a Ram 1500 crew cab with a 6'4" bed and couldn't park the **** thing half the time. Hardly ever used the truck to it's full capabilities. The Santa Cruz may very well be the perfect fit for me. SUV step in height and ride, fun to drive, and a big enough bed to do grown-up stuff. Maybe it's a GHV - a Grandpa Homeowner Vehicle.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium 2.5T AWD
75 Posts
Greetings glad your here. Another grandpa homeowner here (54) I love the SC it's a perfect Trucklette to cruise through life with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’m 69 and just bought a limited Santa Cruz. Had a 2018 GMC Canyon 4x4. Canyon was great but I am very pleased with the SC. If it had the trailer hitch and 7 pin connector installed I would really be happy. We have a 2019 BMW X4 with 13000 miles on it, haven’t driven it since we got the SC. So the Santa Cruz seems to be our primary vehicle now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, it seems kinda funny that so many of us are older ( I’m 71) and moving from full sized trucks. Gotta say the SC is a lot easier to maneuver on smaller roads and in parking lots and spaces. Add the safety features and the lower entry height, even my 5’0” wife likes it.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD No Activity Package
941 Posts
Hoping to join the Santa Cruz Old Guys Club some day. Turning 62 next month, so I guess qualifying for early SS gets me a free pass in.

Welcome Trucklet4me!

·
Registered
56 Posts
The manufacturers have gone way too far. If you ever have the opportunity tosee a current gen Silverado Ram etc. parked next to a 20 year old half ton, you will be struck by the difference: Usability vs size for the sake of size.

I had a Tunda after a first gen Chevy Colorado-had to get a ladder (really!) to ease using the bed.
When I blew out a disc in 2015, I had to sell it due to difficulty in climbing into the darn thing. And now that Tundra looks almost small next to a new RAM. Hopefully this progression to uselessness will end.

It's crazy...and unnecessary.

Hooray for the SC and Maverick...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi again! I'm still around and appreciate all the welcomes!

It's been a very busy week for me, some of which was SC related. :cool:

On Labor Day I went to the "local" Hyundai dealer, some 35 miles from my home. What an aggravating experience. No markup on the SCs that they sell, but really high pressure tactics. Even got downright rude and one guy actually raised his voice to me. 😡 I got up and walked after that.

They didn't have the SC SEL Premium that I wanted anyway. :sneaky:

I'm preapproved with my bank, so I'm ready to go, but still shopping. ;)

Thanks again folks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi again! I'm still around and appreciate all the welcomes!

It's been a very busy week for me, some of which was SC related. :cool:

On Labor Day I went to the "local" Hyundai dealer, some 35 miles from my home. What an aggravating experience. No markup on the SCs that they sell, but really high pressure tactics. Even got downright rude and one guy actually raised his voice to me. 😡 I got up and walked after that.

They didn't have the SC SEL Premium that I wanted anyway. :sneaky:

I'm preapproved with my bank, so I'm ready to go, but still shopping. ;)

Thanks again folks!
Sorry to hear of your experience. Yes..we are always free to "vote with our feet."

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya know, I realized that the SC could be a perfect vehicle for us seasoned citizens. I'm 68 myself and on my way home from an X-ray appointment this morning, I passed a place that sells items which would fit well in the small SC bed. :unsure:

Powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters! Instead of a massive 4x4 full sized truck, the SC could easily transport those mobility devices with a couple of aluminum ramps which fold up and fit inside the bed with the tailgate up.

I can see it now... all of the handicapped parking spaces at the store filled with SCs which have Rascals in the bed! :D

Rock on, Boomers! 🤣

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been wanting an SC since the 2015 concept vehicle. I told my wife then that when/if it comes out, I'm getting one. Six years later and at age 67, that desire hasn't faded one iota! I did get to test drive one thinking this may kill my desire, but it only made it more acute. The ride was incredible! The only thing that's changed is the $3000 over MSRP that's killing the thrill now. I've never even paid MSRP let alone way over before. I don't intend to start now. I'll just have to put a bridle on my desire and wait till next spring when I'm 68 and hopefully sanity has returned the pricing picture. Who knows, maybe Hyundai will implement a senior citizen discount!😂🤣 Until I can get one of my own, I'll just lurk around here and drool over others' purchases.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts