Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching all the mid sized and new small trucks I've whittled it down to the SC as my probable next purchase. But the Hyundai web site is not as detailed as I'd like. So if someone could answer some questions;
1. Does the Santa Cruz have that start/stop system found in so many other vehicles?
2. Any opinions on which trans is better, the standard 8 speed or the dual clutch 8 speed?
3. How much of a slug is the non-turbo engine?
4. Opinions on the optional digital instrument cluster.
Thanks. I've only had one car buying experience with Hyundai. That was back in 2009. The dealership experience was poor but corporate really went to bat for me and got on their case.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I can't opine on all of your questions, but can offer my observations based on my test drive of the 2.5T/DCT/digital cluster last weekend.
1. There is NO AS/S in the SC. I don't know if we can credit the chip shortage or the general awesomeness of Hyundai, but it ain't there, and that pleases me greatly.
2. Transmission differences can be skewed by your specific uses. The DCT may be a negative if you do a lot of low speed maneuvering. IE: creeping into a tight garage, reversing a trailer up a hill, pushing the limits of offroading/rock crawling etc. The manual transmission characteristics could be a negative there. In regular driving? I'd never driven a DCT vehicle before, so I was hesitant about it. One test drive made me a believer. LOOOOOOOOOVE the way that DCT shifts. Fast and very smooth shifts.
3. I'll never get to drive the non-turbo (not offered in Canada) so I can't comment. Likely will be absolutely fine for normal driving, and disappointing for the spirited driver. May be more like my old 2.4L Dodge Journey. It was/is fine for casual driving, never had issues on the interstates, but you certainly have to plan your passes vs. drop the pedal and go.
4. I REALLY liked the digital gauges. Very clear and responsive, plenty bright in the daytime. Since I didn't have it at night, I'm still wondering just how dim they get at night. I'm not a fan of a bright dash when driving at night. Soon I'll be back into commuting to/from work in the dark both ways, so that's 2.5 hours a day in the dark for me. I like my dash nice and dim for that, so hoping that will be good. I do hope the longevity of the screens are good and they don't suffer from burn-in over the course of many years. That can be an issue even on LCDs (vs OLED) when you have static images for long periods of time with high contrast ... like gauges.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum! I can't opine on all of your questions, but can offer my observations based on my test drive of the 2.5T/DCT/digital cluster last weekend.
Thanks. Very useful info for me. I hate the AS/S. Had to buy a module to disable it in my Grand Cherokee, so that's another plus. I also try to stay with port injected engines due to the carbon problem of direct injection but I see this 2.5 is a PDI engine so, another plus. I forgot to ask about the brightness of the cluster so I'm glad you mentioned it. I live in Southern Arizona and Sun glare is a big problem on interiors. I've had to black out chrome trim in the past because I was blinded by Sun reflection off it, so I was concerned about that optional cluster in the SC that just kind of sticks out in the open with no shroud to keep it in the shade. All in all it looks like a SC SEL Premium AWD will be the winner. Now just a matter of waiting for one to show up at one of the rare dealerships that doesn't butcher it's cars with too much aftermarket garbage. That's a big problem here. They just love splicing up brand new factory wiring with alarms or ignition disabling devices or GPS trackers, window tint, paint sealant, flickering third brake lights, window VIN etching, the list goes on and on. Anything for a buck. Right now in a 200 mile search we have a whopping two units in stock, that trim, total of all trims, 21.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I drove the non-turbo and ended up buying the turbo sight unseen. There was no doubt for me the non-turbo would not satisfy me. It did seem sluggish and sport mode was an absolute disgrace to cars. Sounded god awful.
The turbo on the other hand is an absolute beast. Well worth the money in upgrade. I went with the SEL Premium package and have no regrets. Smooth shifting and incredible gittyup. Even on the Highway going 70 plus, it can roar up without issue for passing. It’s like nothing I’ve experienced before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts