Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1066 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
I have a dealer who is offering to reserve me a limited he claims is arriving in October 22nd. He claims they only sell at msrp and this will be at msrp.
He said he can’t give an exact price but it will be at msrp and he gave a price range. Basically he said it will vary by the included accessories so it looks like they intend to include 200-600 in accessories so not a ton.
They want a non refundable deposit to reserve which gives me pause. Anything I should be on the lookout for or ask before agreeing?
What if the car is not as represented or if is damaged in transit. No problem with a small deposit, but non-refundable is a deal breaker IMHO.

·
Registered
70 Posts
He sent me a vehicle info page. It’s a spec sheet for the trim. But it lists a vin and the color. Under optional extra it lists about 5 factory accessories like carpets, cargo net etc and it’s says price tbd next to it.
What if the car is not as represented or if is damaged in transit. No problem with a small deposit, but non-refundable is a deal breaker IMHO.
not saying that is not a concern. But if they take a deposit on credit card I trust amex buyer protection should there be an issue like that.

My bigger concern is should they low ball me on trade in or try to add bs dealer add ons I’ve lost my leverage to just walk away.

i’m still considering it though. I’m already shopping out of state because every nj and ny dealer is trying to slip in a 5-7k premium before dealer BS.

PA dealers are selling at msrp but are selling before the vehicle is even in transit.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
244 Posts
He sent me a vehicle info page. It’s a spec sheet for the trim. But it lists a vin and the color. Under optional extra it lists about 5 factory accessories like carpets, cargo net etc and it’s says price tbd next to it.

not saying that is not a concern. But if they take a deposit on credit card I trust amex buyer protection should there be an issue like that.

My bigger concern is should they low ball me on trade in or try to add bs dealer add ons I’ve lost my leverage to just walk away.

i’m still considering it though. I’m already shopping out of state because every nj and ny dealer is trying to slip in a 5-7k premium before dealer BS.

PA dealers are selling at msrp but are selling before the vehicle is even in transit.
Run from this dealer. They're playing games. Substitute your VIN for the VIN in the URL below and you can see the MSRP that includes the options for the vehicle. There is no TBD. That's BS. An honest dealer would do a refundable deposit.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
859 Posts
I really wish that window sticker site worked with Canadian VINs! But yes, take the VIN that dealer gave you, run it through metafizik's link above, and you'll know the actual price and what they're trying to cheat out of you. Then be glad sites like this exist that can at least give you some armor against their shenanigans.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Handwriting Font Parallel Number Document

That's the vehicle info page they gave me. The vin listed on that sheet is either a made up place holder or reformatted using some type of internal inventory number from their system. Regarding pricing I was told:

it will be between $41300 to $41785(base on accessories).

I don't care if they want to add on a few hundred in factory accessories. I don't even care if they want to add a few hundred in dealer BS. It's not ideal but its better then what I am getting from NJ dealers.

I'm not sure sure everyone appreciates the NYC area market. The north Jersey and NY dealers are letting them sit a couple weeks trying to get anywhere from a 3k - 8k markup. That's across the board. Now I won't pay that but I will consider putting money down on a vehicle in transit. But even that has not been easy.

But I agree this is a little sketchy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Instead of doing a markup it sounds like they're getting their money by lowballing you on the trade-in in today's market from what I hear everyone's getting top dollar for their trade-ins so might be that I wouldn't do a non-refundable deposit especially when they're not being upfront about the price

·
Registered
70 Posts
Instead of doing a markup it sounds like they're getting their money by lowballing you on the trade-in in today's market from what I hear everyone's getting top dollar for their trade-ins so might be that I wouldn't do a non-refundable deposit especially when they're not being upfront about the price
That's what I'm thinking to.

My only thought is if the trade in is where they are hoping to make money. I can come prepared with an offer for a sale from a major outfit like Carvana prepared to not trade in but instead sell to a third party.

Now I realize I lose the sales tax advantage by selling to a third party so I would need to calculate how much that works out to and know how much a sales offer works out to in comparison to a low trade in.

I will say even worst case scenario they try to low ball me by 2k on the trade in as well as a couple thousand in dealer BS add on's they are still far ahead of any of the nyc area dealers. And I think they know that.

·
Registered
509 Posts
View attachment 2534
That's the vehicle info page they gave me. The vin listed on that sheet is either a made up place holder or reformatted using some type of internal inventory number from their system. Regarding pricing I was told:

it will be between $41300 to $41785(base on accessories)....
That number is real, it is the AON, which is a tracking number used internally by Hyundai before the car is actually built -- then it is given a VIN#. Unfortunately, there is no direct correspondence between the two numbers, and @Chuck, who was able to get that info for us, is no longer frequenting the forum.
However, here is the pricing for the factory-added (port installed) accessories:

................... PORT INSTALLED........ package items
.................... ACCESSORIES ......... listed below:
CF..carpeted floor mats............ $ 195 | | L1 |
CM..cargo/bed mat.................. $ 150 | C1 | L1 |
CN..cargo net envelope............. $ 55 | C1 | |
DB..divider, bed................... $ 450 | | |
FA..mud guards w/ fender flares.... $ 615 | | |
FB..fence, bed..................... $ 395 | | L1 |
FF..fender flares.................. $ 495 | | |
FK..firstaid kit................... $ 30 | C1 | L1 |
FL..fitted liners.................. $ 215 | | | W1
MC..mount, camera w/ fender flares. $ 550 | | |
MG..mud guards..................... $ 120 | | L1 | W1
NB..cargo net,.bed................. $ 80 | | L1 |
RB..rails, bed..................... $ 395 | | |
RC..rails, cross................... $ 315 | | |
ST..steps, side.................... $ 695 | | |
TH..tow hitch ..................... $ 450 | | |
UP..underbody protection plates.... $ 250 | | |
WC..wheel caps..................... $ 85 | | |
WL..wheel locks.................... $ 65 | | |

................... PORT INSTALLED PACKAGES
C1..CARGO PKG (CM CN FK) ......... $ 235 | C1 | |
L1..LAUNCH PKG (CF CM FB FK MG NB). $ 970 | | L1 |

W1..WINTER PKG (FL MG) ............ $ 335 | | | W1

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is there any control from Hyundai as to pricing for accessories ?

I know the dealer can add whatever markup they want. But at the end they list msrp and the markup separately

But is anything stopping them from claiming carpets are 1k so they can use that for additional markup?

·
Registered
509 Posts
The factory accessories will appear on the 'Monroney' window sticker, along with their prices, and they are included in the MSRP, which the dealer cannot change.

The dealer can, and usually does, add their own separate sticker listing whatever add-ons they want -- tire nitrogen, paint "protectant," fairy dust, etc. -- at whatever price they wish.

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
70 Posts
That’s what I thought.
The dealer is just implying they don’t know how many factory accessories they are including. Which I can live with.
But the real problem is having no assurances about dealer add ons.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That’s what I thought.
The dealer is just implying they don’t know how many factory accessories they are including. Which I can live with.
But the real problem is having no assurances about dealer add ons.
I saw a video about this on YAA.. you should be able to request since it's an ordered vehicle that you don't want dealer installed add-ons. They should be able to note that somewhere on the check in sheet, whatever that was called. Unless they are saying there are add-ons that their dealership 'requires' on all vehicles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm not sure this counts as an order. They are telling me they are already allocated the car and they have an estimated delivery.
They told me they would take an order too, but I think they said to expect 120 days.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does anyone have experience selling to a car buying service like Carmax or Carvana instead of trading in?

To get maximum value for my trade I was considering selling the vehicle instead. Private party is too much hassle, but I was looking specifically at Carmax. Their estimate is 19k for my car. The Hyundai dealers I have talked to so far have offered a max of 16k.

Just curious how big a pain of the ass it might be. I also realize you lose the sales tax advantage. But if I am looking at a 3k or more price difference I'm still coming out ahead. But then I worry if I might have unexpected issues financing because i am looking to finance 19k more upfront since I probably would need to sell the car after picking up the new one.

I also figure though worst case I can stop at Carmax for an official appraisal a few days before picking up the Hyundai and try to use the Carmax appraisal to push them up a little more.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I also figure though worst case I can stop at Carmax for an official appraisal a few days before picking up the Hyundai and try to use the Carmax appraisal to push them up a little more.
That is exactly what I've done in the past. Sometimes the dealer will match the CarMax offer, other times they will not. I've had a dealer refuse even a just a $300 difference. Like you said you have to calculate the tax lost difference to decided which option is better. If financing is a concern then sell the used car before buying the new one. Of course this only works if you have access to a second vehicle for a 2 or 3 days while the money gets moved into your account. Just make sure the dealer has no idea you've done... if they know your car-less they will absolutely take advantage of that situation. Personally I just use the money from the later sale to pay down the loan quicker so in the end its a wash.

Used car values are starting to level off: The high prices of used cars may finally be dropping: Sonic Automotive president but previously this year values were up 20-30% due to limited supply. Dealers were begging for inventory and used cars are one of the main profit centers for a dealership along with service. New cars aren't a big money maker for them which is why they try to tack on some many silly fake fees like nitrogen air and VIN etching.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a dealer who is offering to reserve me a limited he claims is arriving in October 22nd. He claims they only sell at msrp and this will be at msrp.
He said he can’t give an exact price but it will be at msrp and he gave a price range. Basically he said it will vary by the included accessories so it looks like they intend to include 200-600 in accessories so not a ton.
They want a non refundable deposit to reserve which gives me pause. Anything I should be on the lookout for or ask before agreeing?
Bought my Limited by giving them a non-refundable deposit and doing some homework -- paid for vehicle with floor mats and mud guards added as accessories. Dealer (Homer Skelton Hyundai) was 4.9 of 5 stars on Dealer Rater site and sales manager was very upfront through entire process (to include providing the sticker).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does anyone have experience selling to a car buying service like Carmax or Carvana instead of trading in?
I took my '98 Tacoma to CarMax a few weeks ago and they offered $1700. Carvana was much less. I ended up selling on AutoTrader for $3500 (which is what I bought it for 5 years ago). I received 8 inquiries within 24 hours and the car sold within 24 hours. I suspect that the buyer is from a used car dealership in Santa Ana since he followed some similar tactics from when I sold my Honda Civic years back. Overall easy sale... prefilled out the bill of sale and release of liability forms from the DMV site prior to buyer arriving. Had him fill in his sections. Just had to put up with him trying to get a better price than what we agreed on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One thing that makes me nervous about a private sale is if I have any DMV paperwork as a result. Here in NJ our DMV is still a mess. They made some slight improvements by allowing almost everything they could online. But a lot of the vehicle titling transactions still require in person. All in person transactions are appointment only. The appointments for 30 days out go up at midnight and they pretty much are instantly taken.

People in the extreme northern tip of the state are taking appointments at the extreme southern tip 3 hours away and 30 days in the future because that's all they can find after weeks of trying.

You can see the effects because I see people putting extra layers of tape on their temporary tags that are now a couple months old.

And the director of our DMV instead of getting fired after she couldn't fix this over a year later instead got a promotion to run a federal department in Washington.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just tried for second time thus morning and still the same error message.
I had an error message on the Insider Reservation Login and it never went away until I called and got a trouble ticket opened to fix it. Now I have the pleasure of opening every day to see 0 of 0 available in stead of Error.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I also realize you lose the sales tax advantage. But if I am looking at a 3k or more price difference I'm still coming out ahead.
Virginia has a solution for this. The wonderful state of Virginia doesn't give you any sales tax credit on a trade. You have to pay State sales tax on the full sales price of the vehicle.

1021 - 1040 of 1066 Posts