Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1066 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
244 Posts
I was reading a JD Power review of the Santa Cruz and they have a link to find the Santa Cruz. I don't know how accurate the listings are but a lot of them show up here.

Good luck if you're still looking...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thanks, but the only listing it shows is from about a month ago -- long gone. That seems to be a common trait that I have frequently encountered with various 'autos-for-sale' sites. Surprisingly, even many of the dealers' own local web pages still don't list 'Santa Cruz' among the various 'New Vehicles' models.

Reactions: _metafizik

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks, but the only listing it shows is from about a month ago -- long gone. That seems to be a common trait that I have frequently encountered with various 'autos-for-sale' sites. Surprisingly, even many of the dealers' own local web pages still don't list 'Santa Cruz' among the various 'New Vehicles' models.
I think they don't list the vehicles unless they are on their lot or in transit. I noticed it would list it on some sites but when it sold I wouldn't see it anymore.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm getting more calls from dealerships. Both from dealerships that are priced high, trying to see if I changed my mind about paying over msrp, and from dealerships that recently received more in.

So I'm hopeful that next month there maybe more options. I think its going to be a hard to find vehicle for awhile, but I think now that the first wave of cars have been sold the insane will pay anything demand may start to wane.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just wrote off 'Classic Hyundai' in N. Wilkesboro, NC. Was all set to do the deal at the advertised price (MSRP) when out pop all the dealer add-ons, including the 'National Shortage Surcharge.' :mad:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just wrote off 'Classic Hyundai' in N. Wilkesboro, NC. Was all set to do the deal at the advertised price (MSRP) when out pop all the dealer add-ons, including the 'National Shortage Surcharge.' :mad:
You need to let them know why you're ditching them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have had a little back and forth with a couple dealers trying to get me to pay a large premium. Their main argument seems to be its not possible to buy the car anywhere without paying a premium.

I have been pointing out that I have found many PA dealers (I'm in NJ) willing to sell at msrp, but they are selling almost as soon as they get the in transit vin number and that I already have refundable reservation with one PA dealer who claimed I can have it for 1k over msrp no dealer add ons and a reasonable estimate for my trade in.

I have had some pushy sales men try to explain if a dealer actually offered me that they must be looking to screw me on the trade in or financing. To which I have to explain to them I can easily bring my own financing and sell the trade in to a third party instead. Plus if the deal is not as advertised I'm simply not taking it and I will keep looking as long as I need to.

These conversations are getting pushier so I take it to mean that even if the car is instantly selling out they maybe hitting their limit on people willing to pay 5k plus over msrp on what is an already expensive car for what is essentially a mid tier brand crossover.

·
Registered
719 Posts
...maybe hitting their limit on people willing to pay 5k plus over msrp on what is an already expensive car for what is essentially a mid tier brand crossover.
Does anyone know of a person that has actually paid more than $1,000-$2,000 over MSRP? I think the first Limited buyer that posted here paid about $2,000 over and I've only seen a couple posts that paid $1,000 over. So that's only 3 people that I am aware of and I think they were all Limited's. My brother was offered $500 over on an in transit match to his specifications. He's standing pat at nothing more than MSRP. I believe most buyers are only paying MSRP or very close to it (minor add-ons or fees).

I put zero weight on what a salesman tells you. Know what you are willing to pay and stick to it. $30,000-$40,000 is not cheap and there are a limited amount of people that want it, can afford it and will actively pursue purchase without being advertised to with incentives.

I think Hyundai is slow releasing to keep supply limited as they watch demand and the economy. The last thing they want to do is fill dealer lots with Santa Cruz's that don't sell quickly. That's not in their best interest.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does anyone know of a person that has actually paid more than $1,000-$2,000 over MSRP? I think the first Limited buyer that posted here paid about $2,000 over and I've only seen a couple posts that paid $1,000 over. So that's only 3 people that I am aware of and I think they were all Limited's. My brother was offered $500 over on an in transit match to his specifications. He's standing pat at nothing more than MSRP. I believe most buyers are only paying MSRP or very close to it (minor add-ons or fees).

I put zero weight on what a salesman tells you. Know what you are willing to pay and stick to it. $30,000-$40,000 is not cheap and there are a limited amount of people that want it, can afford it and will actively pursue purchase without being advertised to with incentives.

I think Hyundai is slow releasing to keep supply limited as they watch demand and the economy. The last thing they want to do is fill dealer lots with Santa Cruz's that don't sell quickly. That's not in their best interest.
I believe I saw someone on the Santa Cruz subreddit post that they paid 5k over for a Limited because they absolutely wanted it. But that was within the first couple weeks the vehicle hit dealers. So I wouldn't be surprised if there were some people willing to way overpay to be the first.

But I agree once you get to 30-40k, especially for a Hyundai, its a limited audience. And if a dealer is trying to put 5-8k over msrp on a Limited you are now approaching a 50k vehicle. You are now in luxury brand / tesla range and even some decently equipped ones from luxury brands. I feel people willing to pay that much will want a brand name that carries more status.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz - Searching...
58 Posts
Absolutely let them know, and mention the forum. I rejected that same deal from them this morning. Read them the riot act and told them in no uncertain terms that they would be added to the "pillage and rape" list here on the forum.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I doubt these dealers have enough foresight to care about idle threats like that from customers.

That said I now know which dealers I will never be visiting again even if we return to normal times and they claim to have a great deal on a vehicle.

I also wonder if dealers could be creating enough ill will from customers that manufacturers will start seriously consider experimenting with direct sales.

Tesla kind of paved the way getting laws changed so I believe in most states direct sales are now allowed. Though I don't know if there are issues with contracts with their existing franchise owners that might forbid them from going that route.

But I have to manage the majority of people here would rather give 1k direct to Hyundai for a true direct order even if it meant a 3- 6 month wait for an in demand vehicle like the Santa Cruz.

I've had a few dealers offer to order me the car, but I worry that they could claim the car will sell for msrp with no dealer add ons but when it actually comes months later they try to sell it to me for whatever they want at the moment.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I doubt these dealers have enough foresight to care about idle threats like that from customers.
Possibly. Not so much a threat. I would like to think that two different customers both ragging on them same day. and both mentioning the forum as a clearing house for bad dealers, would give them pause.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm so confused about ordering. I thought Hyundai didn't do orders but then I see posts that some people say they ordered things. Is it different at every dealership?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also wonder if dealers could be creating enough ill will from customers that manufacturers will start seriously consider experimenting with direct sales.
I recently read that one of the mainstream brands (Ford I think) was shifting over to a make to order business model. No more dealerships full of cars waiting to be purchased. Not sure how that would go over with buyers, but from a supply chain, and cost savings, perspective it would be brilliant.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Possibly. Not so much a threat. I would like to think that two different customers both ragging on them same day. and both mentioning the forum as a clearing house for bad dealers, would give them pause.
I still think most salesmen are not going to care. At these high pressure places trying for 5k plus markups your "salesman" was selling TV's at Bestbuy 3 months ago and is more concerned that they file the marching orders of the sales manager who insists that they follow what he or she says to the letter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm so confused about ordering. I thought Hyundai didn't do orders but then I see posts that some people say they ordered things. Is it different at every dealership?
I have had at least 3 dealers offer for me to place an order. Now I am not an expert on Hyundai, but from the info I have gotten hear this is what I gathered and anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

Hyundai does not take orders period. But a dealer can "request" a specifically configured car be allocated to them. But there is no guarantee they will get exactly what is requested (ie might be a different color) and if and when the dealer is allocated the car they are under no obligation to provide it to the customer who "ordered" it. They can make up whatever policy they want. But anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I recently read that one of the mainstream brands (Ford I think) was shifting over to a make to order business model. No more dealerships full of cars waiting to be purchased. Not sure how that would go over with buyers, but from a supply chain, and cost savings, perspective it would be brilliant.
That would be amazing if that happens. The only thing I don't like about moving to a system of ordering cars though is if that becomes the only way to get a new car and I unexpectedly needed a vehicle.

My current car was a replacement for a vehicle that another driver totaled. There happened to be a recently released new model Honda I was interested in. It was reasonably popular (though not crazy like the Santa Cruz). I worry that if most new car sales were just direct orders then if I found myself in a similar situation I would need to settle for whatever I could get in a hurry.

1041 - 1060 of 1066 Posts