Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1061 - 1080 of 1111 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
285 Posts
lers?
Just wrote off 'Classic Hyundai' in N. Wilkesboro, NC. Was all set to do the deal at the advertised price (MSRP) when out pop all the dealer add-ons, including the 'National Shortage Surcharge.' :mad:
@ToadVine - Whatever happened to the SC you were tracking that was supposed to be delivered to Johnson in Cary or whichever Raleigh area dealer it was?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have had at least 3 dealers offer for me to place an order. Now I am not an expert on Hyundai, but from the info I have gotten hear this is what I gathered and anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

Hyundai does not take orders period. But a dealer can "request" a specifically configured car be allocated to them. But there is no guarantee they will get exactly what is requested (ie might be a different color) and if and when the dealer is allocated the car they are under no obligation to provide it to the customer who "ordered" it. They can make up whatever policy they want. But anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
Ok that makes sense. When I thought allocated I thought it was more randomized.

·
Registered
2022 SC Limited Hampton Grey
192 Posts
Ok that makes sense. When I thought allocated I thought it was more randomized.
Well I think it is still somewhat randomized. Basically the dealer can request a model, either because they have a customer that wants it or because that's what they think will sell in their market. But there is no guarantee they can get what they want and they have to take what Hyundai give them. And I think what Hyundai gives them is highly influenced by what they have already sold. So if they sold 2 Sels and have 1 Limited they have failed to sell; but then try to order a Limited with a specific color request they may wind up being sent another Sel because that's what they have already been selling.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz - Searching...
96 Posts
...from the info I have gotten hear this is what I gathered and anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

Hyundai does not take orders period. But a dealer can "request" a specifically configured car be allocated to them. But there is no guarantee they will get exactly what is requested (ie might be a different color) and if and when the dealer is allocated the car they are under no obligation to provide it to the customer who "ordered" it.
Interesting. One of my local dealers (Sterling McCall) has two location in Houston. They are claiming that they have already received their "full allotment" for the year, as has everyone else in this area. How he would know about "everyone else" sounds fishy. All they can offer, at this point, is to put an "special order" in for me. They will do the deal at MSRP, but placing the order requires a $1,000 deposit, with delivery in 6 weeks to 6 months!

Wanting one badly, it is tempting, but it just doesn't sound right to me. Especially in light of your comments on orders.

·
Registered
720 Posts
... @ToadVine - Whatever happened to the SC you were tracking that was supposed to be delivered to Johnson in Cary or whichever Raleigh area dealer it was?
I went there, but it was GOA (gone on arrival.) It may have been one of the Hyundai inventory database phantoms which had already been sold weeks earlier. (I sure miss @Chuck's data mining for us.)

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,230 Posts
I'm so confused about ordering. I thought Hyundai didn't do orders but then I see posts that some people say they ordered things. Is it different at every dealership?
Different between countries at least. Canada actually had a pre-order system. Exactly what I ordered showed up exactly at the dealer I selected when ordering and the dealer themselves took my deposit out of the bank. A completely different - and WORKING system from the US disaster.
I recently read that one of the mainstream brands (Ford I think) was shifting over to a make to order business model. No more dealerships full of cars waiting to be purchased. Not sure how that would go over with buyers, but from a supply chain, and cost savings, perspective it would be brilliant.
I did notice this month that our local Ford dealer is actually advertising build your own as a feature to get exactly what you want. From their end, makes sense. Customer does all the work, they can make sure they're all pre-approved for financing before they ever see an invoice for the vehicle. They get a chance to build a relationship with the customer before they even have the vehicle - and will likely sell at MSRP without discounts or haggling. If done correctly, it could be profitable. Then they just need to keep a variety of black and white mid to top trim vehicles on the lot for test drives and selling to those who show up wanting to leave with a vehicle that same day.

·
Registered
Currently drive a Hyundai Santa Cruz Limited
73 Posts
Got back yesterday from purchasing my Mojave Sand limited from Jim Ellis Hyundai of Atlanta Georgia. I highly recommend them. I found the SC on autotrader and was able to reserve it over the phone, with no deposit necessary. The purchase was a smooth process at (MSRP) with no hassles. Yes I did sit with the purchase manager who suggested several add ones but just a simple no and I was on my way back to Buffalo. My salesman was Hamilton Dueberry, friendly, knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile. If your in that area give them a call he did say they are scheduled to receive several more Santa Cruz, but do have a short waiting list.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Congrats! I saw your car on the list a few weeks ago and for a moment considered driving to Atlanta. Great job getting it! Please post photos in different lighting conditions as most of us haven’t seen a Mojave Sand.

·
Registered
720 Posts
@Toozm, that Mojave Sand showed up at Jim Ellis three weeks ago -- amazing that it went unsold for that long. Maybe it was the daily driver for a manager...? Did it have an miles on it when you got it?

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
285 Posts
Thanks, @_metafizik! It's not up on their dealer site, but I'll keep checking.

EDIT: A Mojave Sand SE FWD was sent to Johnson Wake Forest last week.
You're welcome. It popped up as an AD in my FB feed. It even showed the VIN and the price they advertised was MSRP. But like you said it's not showing on the web site nor is it showing on their FB page.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have dealer telling me they will take a deposit to sell at MSRP. They are telling me they have no ETA, but the vin they told me does show up on Hyundai USA's vehicle search. Does that mean its at least "in transit" and not still in production?

Is there anyway to tell from the vin or the window sticker the production date and or when it left the factory?

·
Registered
Currently drive a Hyundai Santa Cruz Limited
73 Posts
The Mojave Sand from Jim Ellis had 20 miles on it. They said the original person backed out of the deal. They held it at least a week for me, until I could get down there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have dealer telling me they will take a deposit to sell at MSRP. They are telling me they have no ETA, but the vin they told me does show up on Hyundai USA's vehicle search. Does that mean its at least "in transit" and not still in production?

Is there anyway to tell from the vin or the window sticker the production date and or when it left the factory?
i have similar situation, but no VIN, just allocation. Time frame should be known if allocated, mines Nov now. IF they don't have ETA then likely they are promising to order via the priority bank and will let you know as soon as it is allocated. With mine it hasn't even been produced yet so definitely pre production. But if you can wait and you got a place that is offering to take deposit to secure one in your name when or if it does arrive, I say go for it. Just make sure that deposit is refundable. and keep looking.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i have similar situation, but no VIN, just allocation. Time frame should be known if allocated, mines Nov now. IF they don't have ETA then likely they are promising to order via the priority bank and will let you know as soon as it is allocated. With mine it hasn't even been produced yet so definitely pre production. But if you can wait and you got a place that is offering to take deposit to secure one in your name when or if it does arrive, I say go for it. Just make sure that deposit is refundable. and keep looking.
Good point. Though like I said I at least have the window sticker / vin so I hope that means it is not super far out.
I have another vehicle reserved for 1k over msrp closer to home that they don’t have a vin for yet but claim they have an estimated delivery date in October

·
Registered
720 Posts
You can check @CaseyH's list. The newest VIN is ...5842. The 'Date Added' and 'Last Updated" may give you some help, if it is an older VIN that has just become active.

1061 - 1080 of 1111 Posts