Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
141 - 160 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I stand corrected on the disclaimer. However, reservation are being filled first, at least at my dealer. Which is the right thing to do and is in the spirit of the entire reservation program. I get the program also had other motives... like finding out what trims will be popular etc. But that even that has the benefit of getting the most requested models into the market faster. I'm sure the folks who did use the reservation program will be pissed if someone without a reservation gets the model they ordered before they do.. did you put any money down?
Based on the color distribution I don't think Hyundai took our 'reservations' into account at all. There is another thread that demonstrates overwhelmingly we (members of this forum) chose Sage Gray in the reservation. Sage Gray isn't even close to the number one color on the initial makeup of the choices (although it did end up with a $400.00 premium price) I chose Sage Gray and my dealer isn't getting one in Sage. The dealer 20 miles to the north is getting 2. Luckily Hampton Gray is my second choice and that color is growing on me. And my dealer is getting a Hampton. After I see it I'll drive 20 minutes north to look at Sage and then make the decision.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Based on the color distribution I don't think Hyundai took our 'reservations' into account at all. There is another thread that demonstrates overwhelmingly we (members of this forum) chose Sage Gray in the reservation. Sage Gray isn't even close to the number one color on the initial makeup of the choices (although it did end up with a $400.00 premium price) I chose Sage Gray and my dealer isn't getting one in Sage. The dealer 20 miles to the north is getting 2. Luckily Hampton Gray is my second choice and that color is growing on me. And my dealer is getting a Hampton. After I see it I'll drive 20 minutes north to look at Sage and then make the decision.
Got it, thanks for sharing the details of your expreince. I understand that in your case, it would seem your reservation was NOT taken into account. But I also see others in the forum finding thier exact SC in the spreadsheet (or confirmed by the dealer) what they reserved. That inconsistency is what pisses people off. Sorry to hear about your situation, I do hope it works out to your satisfaction. My color and model was confirmed by the dealer as "shipping" in about 2 weeks..... but it is not listed in the spreadsheet either.

When I reserved a Jeep Rubicon in 2003, it was a bit differnt... Jeep confirmed my reservation and I knew my VIN when production started... Jeep invited even invited me to the Toledo plant for a tour when the began production. I knew exactly when my VIN hit each stage of the process.... building, shipping, delivery to dealer etc. I got emails throughtout the entire process... when production was completed, I got a copy of the window sticker via email along with a complete parts list and serial #'s. Then they sent the shipping date along with the the carrier and ETA (happend to be by train). That was my expectations with this process.... so it is falling a bit short in my opinion as well.

Not that Hyundai would publish it, but it would be interesting to find out what % of reservations were actualy full-filled with the exact models requested.

·
Registered
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
392 Posts
I think Chuck mentioned some of the already assigned vehicles may not show up in his list.

Wouldn't it be great if you could watch your vehicle being built? With all the cameras on assembly lines these days, you'd think they could program cameras to track each build by assigned number and location on the line. The computer could assemble a video of that vehicles entire build process. It would also serve as a back-check for any assembly line issues that come up after the build, as well as, serve as an aid to insure whatever happen doesn't happen again after identified.

As a consumer though, I'd enjoy watching my specific vehicle being built and having that video.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If anyone is having a hard time finding what cars are coming to you local area, I can try to help you.

Here is a link to a spreadsheet of what I currently see on order - if you scroll to the bottom, there are 2 tabs available - one sorted by state and dealer, one by state and model.

On Order Santa Cruz

And the disclaimer...just because we see a car, the dealer could already have someone in front of you that wants it. You will have to call/email the dealer to find that out. Many of the dealer staff won't know what they have coming in, so you may need to get with a sales or inventory manager. I'm not trying to push anyone towards a particular dealership - just giving you what information I can so you can take it from there. It can help you be on top of things so you are ready as soon as it arrives instead of waiting for the dealer to call you back when something comes in - and it possibly not being anything you are interested in.

As explained below, the list is NOT all-inclusive, it is possible that something is on order but for various reasons (explained below) they may not be shown.
____

Here is what should show in the spreadsheet:
  • When the cars are first allocated to the dealer and are waiting to be built or just going thru the build process, I should be able to see what will be shipping to any US dealer.
  • When the cars actually arrive at the dealer - unless they have already marked it as sold, I should be able to see what all US dealers have on the ground.
  • In between these two beginning and end points is where it gets mixed results.
    • Once it goes from being built, until it arrives at the dealer, I can only see the Southeast, so I should see FL, GA, AL, MS, SC, NC, VA, WV, TN, KY and part of the adjacent states.
    • Also, when the car completes production, there is one status where it drops from my view completely until it moves to where it is just about to ship. That is currently happening as this morning I saw 1,074 units - which some had already dropped off from what I'd seen days before including mine. Looking now it's about 950, so over 100 cars moved a step closer today. Luckily I saved lists from prior days, so I can hopefully see from that what is progressing now and may have dropped off.
Also, from looking earlier, there are quite a few western states that I currently see nothing for. Not sure if for some reason I'm just not able to see it - or if they are behind in the allocation process and actually don't have anything on order yet. (AZ, NM, CO, UT, WY, MT, ID, ND, SD)
Thanks very much for the spreadsheet -- do you have an interpretation for the accessory codes please?

·
Registered
174 Posts
... Wouldn't it be great if you could watch your vehicle being built? ... As a consumer though, I'd enjoy watching my specific vehicle being built and having that video.
Seems like a good customer relations tool. I would be happy just to watch them do the full-gainer through the paint pool over and over and over again -- that was mesmerizing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks very much for the spreadsheet -- do you have an interpretation for the accessory codes please?
CF..carpeted.floor.mats.............$.195
CM..cargo/bed.mat...................$.150
CN..cargo.net.envelope..............$..55
DB..divider,.bed....................$.450
FA..mud.guards.w/.fender.flares.....$.615
FB..fence,.bed......................$.395
FF..fender.flares...................$.495
FK..firstaid.kit....................$..30
FL..fitted.liners...................$.215
MC..mount,.camera.w/.fender.flares..$.550
MG..mud.guards......................$.120
NB..cargo.net,.bed..................$..80
RB..rails,.bed......................$.395
RC..rails,.cross....................$.315
ST..steps,.side.....................$.695
TH..tow.hitch.......................$.450
UP..underbody.protection.plates.....$.250
WC..wheel.caps......................$..85

WL..wheel.locks.....................$..65

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think Chuck mentioned some of the already assigned vehicles may not show up in his list.

Wouldn't it be great if you could watch your vehicle being built? With all the cameras on assembly lines these days, you'd think they could program cameras to track each build by assigned number and location on the line. The computer could assemble a video of that vehicles entire build process. It would also serve as a back-check for any assembly line issues that come up after the build, as well as, serve as an aid to insure whatever happen doesn't happen again after identified.

As a consumer though, I'd enjoy watching my specific vehicle being built and having that video.
I hear that... I knew everything about my Jeep Rubicon (2003)... even got invited to visit Toledo plant on the day production started. There was only a small chance of seeing it go by... but it was a cool offer from Jeep.

·
Registered
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
392 Posts
I would be happy just to watch them do the full-gainer through the paint pool over and over and over again -- that was mesmerizing.
I've wanted to find a facility to acid dip-strip and rust remove all the front clip components of my 1968 International Travelall 4X4 Adventure Rig project: Front valence, hood and fenders. Then run them through a wash and finally primer dip them. That will give me a better starting point in the restoration and modification.

When I watched that SC go through what looked like a primer dip, all I saw was my Travelall parts in my mind... :LOL:

Reactions: LittleBokey

·
Registered
31 Posts
I WOULD LOVE to be invited to the plant and watch production of MY vehicle and drive it out of the parking lot! A video would be a GREAT gift for initial launch reservation holders. What a marketing tool!! Reminds me slightly when the 2002 T-bird was late and they gave boxes of interesting articles to keep the interest during the wait. Though don't have the car, still have the boxed goodies and one has my VIN.

·
Registered
6 Posts
CF..carpeted.floor.mats.............$.195
CM..cargo/bed.mat...................$.150
CN..cargo.net.envelope..............$..55
DB..divider,.bed....................$.450
FA..mud.guards.w/.fender.flares.....$.615
FB..fence,.bed......................$.395
FF..fender.flares...................$.495
FK..firstaid.kit....................$..30
FL..fitted.liners...................$.215
MC..mount,.camera.w/.fender.flares..$.550
MG..mud.guards......................$.120
NB..cargo.net,.bed..................$..80
RB..rails,.bed......................$.395
RC..rails,.cross....................$.315
ST..steps,.side.....................$.695
TH..tow.hitch.......................$.450
UP..underbody.protection.plates.....$.250
WC..wheel.caps......................$..85

WL..wheel.locks.....................$..65
Thanks very much!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Just received the call, and an email; copied from VM:
...we will be sending your information to request this dealership to coordinate with you in finding the vehicle of your choice. So you can expect to hear from them in the coming weeks.
Unfortunately this is all the reservation system amounts to... they get your info and NOW are finally passing it on to the dealer to try to find the vehicle of your choice. If they sent it when you put in your reservation, the dealer could have requested what you wanted and possibly received it in one of their first allocations... now you have to have lucked out that they just happen to be getting what you want - or have them request one now and start the process when it could have started 3 months ago.

Not sure how Hyundai rolls out its sales training but it appears they are all taking a nap. Once the metal comes off the transporter a few might wake up since they will finally have a real product to sell. At that point they could have a bidding war for some of these early units.
I think it's a combination of Hyundai and the dealers failing in the training. There has been training from the factory (hence the website @LittleBokey posted). I think most dealers aren't pushing the salespeople to complete it until they have to. There actually is a training session this week for the Ioniq 5... I'm sure most won't bother with it.

Once the metal comes off the transporter a few might wake up since they will finally have a real product to sell. At that point they could have a bidding war for some of these early units.
I think the salespeople are circling the lots waiting for the transporters at this point rather than circling like vultures to grab the next customer. There are multiple local dealers that normally sell over 300 new Hyundais a month that have car counts on the lot from the teens to the 30's...the lots are bare.

I stand corrected on the disclaimer. However, reservation are being filled first, at least at my dealer. Which is the right thing to do and is in the spirit of the entire reservation program. I get the program also had other motives... like finding out what trims will be popular etc. But that even that has the benefit of getting the most requested models into the market faster. I'm sure the folks who did use the reservation program will be pissed if someone without a reservation gets the model they ordered before they do.. did you put any money down?
Unfortunately Hyundai half-assed the reservation program at best. If they did like you experienced with your Rubicon, or Audi did with the eTron, VW just did with the ID.4 and Kia is doing now with the EV6... where they know what is going to be built ahead of time and your reservation matches you with one of those cars which then comes to the dealer for you - then Hyundai could legit call it a RESERVATION. VW & Kia both did Launch/First Editions exclusive to the reservation holders as well.
With Hyundai not passing the customer reservation info on to the dealers until now, some dealers have already had people contact them directly. To the dealer the customer off the street was first. I didn't put any $$ down - just this will be the 11th Hyundai I've bought from them.

Got it, thanks for sharing the details of your expreince. I understand that in your case, it would seem your reservation was NOT taken into account. But I also see others in the forum finding thier exact SC in the spreadsheet (or confirmed by the dealer) what they reserved. That inconsistency is what pisses people off. Sorry to hear about your situation, I do hope it works out to your satisfaction. My color and model was confirmed by the dealer as "shipping" in about 2 weeks..... but it is not listed in the spreadsheet either.
I think with Hyundai cutting the number of builds (no regular gray interior on the Limited, no FWD versions of the SEL Prem & Limited) that it's just random luck that some are finding what they wanted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don’t know, according to the spreadsheet, the dealer I requested is expecting the exact vehicle I requested…. I have a hard time believing that’s pure coincidence.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks to @Chuck and his awesome spreadsheet I was able to track down the one SC with my preferred color & trim being allocated so far in my state, talked to the dealer, and put down a refundable deposit to reserve it directly with them. Not counting my chickens just yet, but this was instantly more effective than the official reservation system. They said they’re expecting mid-to-late August. Will be a bit of a drive once it comes in, but I can live with that. Thank you!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Unfortunately this is all the reservation system amounts to... they get your info and NOW are finally passing it on to the dealer to try to find the vehicle of your choice. If they sent it when you put in your reservation, the dealer could have requested what you wanted and possibly received it in one of their first allocations... now you have to have lucked out that they just happen to be getting what you want - or have them request one now and start the process when it could have started 3 months ago.

I think it's a combination of Hyundai and the dealers failing in the training. There has been training from the factory (hence the website @LittleBokey posted). I think most dealers aren't pushing the salespeople to complete it until they have to. There actually is a training session this week for the Ioniq 5... I'm sure most won't bother with it.

I think the salespeople are circling the lots waiting for the transporters at this point rather than circling like vultures to grab the next customer. There are multiple local dealers that normally sell over 300 new Hyundais a month that have car counts on the lot from the teens to the 30's...the lots are bare.

Unfortunately Hyundai half-assed the reservation program at best. If they did like you experienced with your Rubicon, or Audi did with the eTron, VW just did with the ID.4 and Kia is doing now with the EV6... where they know what is going to be built ahead of time and your reservation matches you with one of those cars which then comes to the dealer for you - then Hyundai could legit call it a RESERVATION. VW & Kia both did Launch/First Editions exclusive to the reservation holders as well.
With Hyundai not passing the customer reservation info on to the dealers until now, some dealers have already had people contact them directly. To the dealer the customer off the street was first. I didn't put any $$ down - just this will be the 11th Hyundai I've bought from them.

I think with Hyundai cutting the number of builds (no regular gray interior on the Limited, no FWD versions of the SEL Prem & Limited) that it's just random luck that some are finding what they wanted.
It is so inconsistent, I got a call from HMA first, an hour later Tuttle called confirming the order. That was on the reveal day... some people are only now getting the dealer calls?? The program is FUBAR for sure. Add to that folks were able to reserve one directly without having to use the reserve "program". But again, dealers will be dealers.. so throw that into the mix.

I'm starting to agree.. what the heck did the reservation program do to actually benefit those who used it?? Not much... :unsure:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Spreadsheet has been updated - about 80 units that had AON (production numbers) now have VIN numbers and about 300 additional units were added.

Newly added units are fully highlighted in yellow. If a VIN was just added the VIN is highlighted in yellow.

Original post is updated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Weird. The one I have a deposit on has a VIN the dealer gave me, but it only shows AON here. Hope we see these utes on lots soon.

·
Registered
151 Posts

So far it looks like Ford is doing a better job also........ With the Maverick

·
Registered
48 Posts
Spreadsheet has been updated - about 80 units that had AON (production numbers) now have VIN numbers and about 300 additional units were added.

Newly added units are fully highlighted in yellow. If a VIN was just added the VIN is highlighted in yellow.

Original post is updated.

Thanks for all your effort Chuck the spreadsheet is a great tool. 👍👍👍

141 - 160 of 201 Posts