Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$100 "Insider" here.

Been looking forward to this SAV for years and although it's not quite the 2015 prototype I loved at the Anaheim International Auto Show, it's a winner in my opinion. Hats off to the designers across town here in SoCal!

I may not be Hyundai's original target market at an active 60+. I'm a two vehicle owner that is looking to reduce my automotive footprint to one SAV that is sporty, has utility and is easy to get in and out of.

Hope this beauty comes in at the stated target starting price in the mid-twenties similar to the new 2022 Tucson.

Looking forward to watching the full rollout and getting into one early, as I sold my 2012 Mini Cooper last weekend in advance and am now driving a 2007 Honda CR-V that will go once I'm sitting in my new HSC.

Cheers all!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is what the HSC will be replacing. That's a Roofnest Condor hardtop RTT and a 1UP trailer hitch bike rack.

The extra utility of the HSC will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yahoo! Flew out and picked up this beautiful Santa Cruz SEL AWD in Stone Blue with Black interior out of South Dakota September 16, 2021.
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

I get to enjoy the ride 3-1/2 months earlier than the model year. That's a huge bonus in my book.

WHAT A RIDE! (y)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yahoo! Flew out and picked up this beautiful Santa Cruz SEL AWD in Stone Blue with Black interior out of South Dakota September 16, 2021.
View attachment 2739
I get to enjoy the ride 3-1/2 months earlier than the model year. That's a huge bonus in my book.

WHAT A RIDE! (y)
Happy for you brother... must be something in the water as I'm picking my SEL P in Blue today. :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yahoo! Flew out and picked up this beautiful Santa Cruz SEL AWD in Stone Blue with Black interior out of South Dakota September 16, 2021. I get to enjoy the ride 3-1/2 months earlier than the model year. That's a huge bonus in my book.

WHAT A RIDE! (y)
My SEL Premium in Stone Blue, AWD, 2.5T arrived @ my dealer.

I paid MSRP as they are honoring the reservation program.

First impressions:
  1. Tight handing, tracks like on rails.
  2. Very little body roll in hard cornering (65 mph) & long sweeping curves (CA winding hills and freeway)
  3. Very little nose dive when hard breaking.
  4. Seats are bit on the "firm" side, but not hard.
  5. Very quite at any speed, notably quieter than the traded Tuscon.
  6. Power comes on strong after a slight delay as the DCT kicks in.. I won't say is set me back in the seat, but it is quick and pulls hard with quick shifts.
  7. 2.5T has a bit of a "growl" when accelerating aggressively... but not loud.
  8. Tonneau cover does not slide "easily".. a bit sticky. Dealer also let me know that when the cover is locked via the door locks, another new owner managed to break the lock by FORCING the top handle forwarded... not realizing they should unlock the doors first. I'm not sure how that happened, but at least the dealer was tuned into potential issues. :confused:
  9. MPG for first 75 miles 21.4, mix of local and freeway driving.
  10. Bridge expansion joints... if you live in CA you know what I mean.. these joints are often raised and real challenge for the suspension when hit. I felt the initial contact as the SC jumps strait up, but the SC settles down smoothly and floats without bump steer or loss of traction.
  11. OEM tires are "ok", road noise is low and they don't roll on sharp fast cornering. We shall see long term... I'm likely to replace them with something with a bit deeper tread.
  12. AUTOHOLD: I noticed some slight rollback when releasing the break from a stop on an incline. I turned on the autohold and it worked great. Break pedal remains firm once you stop, then quickly releases when you touch the gas. (launch mode?)
  13. Turning radius: not as crazy tight like the Tucson, but I pulled a complete u turn on a normal width street with room to spare.
  14. Side view: Only on the limited shows the side view when you turn on the signals... wish this had that.. but side views are good as the mirrors are good size.
  15. Rear view out the back window... none. :p This lack of view is due to the high bed sides... backup camera view is really important here to see behind you.
  16. Size: Fits into the standard CA two car garage, but is definitively longer than the Tucson, but WAY smaller than my previous RAM 1500. I can open the tailgate with it fully parked and the garage door closed but with a scant 2 inches to spare.
  17. Lane keep/Assist/adaptive cruise: Scary in a few ways.. SC kept itself in the lane on some long sweeping turns with just one finger on the steering wheel. Not autonomous, but it is impressive.
  18. Steering Wheel: Love it, sporty and lots of ways to grip it. One finger driving works well and there is very little input needed due to wandering.
  19. Love the paint... has mettle flakes visible in the sun only. Seems to change colors depending on the view angle.
That is my 19 cents worth so far. All I can say it it meets and beats my expectations. Glad I waited, but it was painful. The reservation program COULD have been better, but in the end it worked for me and I got the exact SC I wanted. Dealer was quick and easy to work with.. 2.5 hours @ the dealer which included app submission/funding, test ride and side by side orientation of the features with the sales person.

Overall, a very tight, peppy package where the technology works well together. :D
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks just like mine except for the twin mini mohawks with bald patch in between and bigger hamsters under the hood! :cool:

Isn't it great to have the search and purchase process pain over with? Such a relief. Glad your dealer kept their word and honored their commitment to MSRP. Congrats!

You really tested it out quickly. I haven't noticed any harshness in ride or tires with mine. Not driving it hard or pushing it yet though. All the tech does work surprisingly well. I like the lane assist, lane departure warnings (none if blinker on), blind spot little <!> red warning light in side mirror that only audio alarms if blinker is turned on and the backup camera with distance lines.

Question: I thought the SC I test drove had beeping distance reverse warning in which the beeping got more frequent as you approached an object. Does anyone know if this is a setting I can turn on? Also, love the way it turns the radio sound down when you put it in reverse. (y)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Looks just like mine except for the twin mini mohawks with bald patch in between and bigger hamsters under the hood! :cool:

Isn't it great to have the search and purchase process pain over with? Such a relief. Glad your dealer kept their word and honored their commitment to MSRP. Congrats!

You really tested it out quickly. I haven't noticed any harshness in ride or tires with mine. Not driving it hard or pushing it yet though. All the tech does work surprisingly well. I like the lane assist, lane departure warnings (none if blinker on), blind spot little <!> red warning light in side mirror that only audio alarms if blinker is turned on and the backup camera with distance lines.

Question: I thought the SC I test drove had beeping distance reverse warning in which the beeping got more frequent as you approached an object. Does anyone know if this is a setting I can turn on? Also, love the way it turns the radio sound down when you put it in reverse. (y)
It is great to be past the purchase phase. I almost gave up... longest I have ever waited for a new vehicle. But it was worth it... I told you I had enough faith for the both of us.... lol.

I grabbed the wife and we did the drive loop from OC/405 to the 55 to the 91 to Corona and then back down south with the 241/261 tollway. I was a bit leery of the issues others reported, so I wanted to give it a pretty good run on open roads, stop and go traffic (91) and then some continuous climbs/downhills like on the 241/261 (7% grade up and down). I will say it pretty much freewheels down the long grades.. not a lot of engine breaking. The Tucson would basically hold the downhill speed constantly with engine breaking. So I did paddle shift it down and that helped keep the speed under 80 mph and not totally run away.

I did notice that there was no beeping when backing into the garage. I put it back in drive and then reverse again and it started beeping... not really faster that I could tell as I got closer. More testing needed...

Glad it all worked out in the end for us and others in the forum. (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I felt kind of stupid sneaking a look at the door jam front fender bolts and bed bolts to make sure they were installed when at the dealer. I tried to do it without the sales guy noticing... :rolleyes: To my relief, all the bolts were there.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I felt kind of stupid sneaking a look at the door jam front fender bolts and bed bolts to make sure they were installed when at the dealer. I tried to do it without the sales guy noticing... :rolleyes: To my relief, all the bolts were there.
Right there with you... during the inspection they were a bit baffled by me, but I checked the bed and the doors under the hood etc. The only thing I could find was they did not remove the plastic protection on top of the air filter box. ;)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Tonneau cover does not slide "easily".. a bit sticky. Dealer also let me know that when the cover is locked via the door locks, another new owner managed to break the lock by FORCING the top handle forwarded... not realizing they should unlock the doors first. I'm not sure how that happened, but at least the dealer was tuned into potential issues. :confused:
The cover doesn't lock with the other doors, only the tailgate. The cover locks via a small hidden dial under the handle...
Light Product Output device Motor vehicle Font

I will say it pretty much freewheels down the long grades.. not a lot of engine breaking. The Tucson would basically hold the downhill speed constantly with engine breaking. So I did paddle shift it down and that helped keep the speed under 80 mph and not totally run away.
The manual mentions this in regards to driving slow, but it might be a trait of the DCT in general. Keep in mind its a manual transmission that shifts automatically, not a traditional automatic that uses a fluid torque converter. If you remember old school manuals could be push started because once the clutch is out and the vehicle is in gear the wheels (via the driveline) are connected directly to the engine. With an automatic this is not the case, as the torque converter uses fluid pressure. So I bet what you are feeling is the lack of this pressure.

I did notice that there was no beeping when backing into the garage. I put it back in drive and then reverse again and it started beeping... not really faster that I could tell as I got closer. More testing needed...
No reverse sensors other then rear cross traffic alert. I wonder how many people are going to back into things because they assume it will beep at them.

Sounds great - congratulations on finally getting it (y)

·
Registered
394 Posts
The cover doesn't lock with the other doors, only the tailgate. The cover locks via a small hidden dial under the handle...

The manual mentions this in regards to driving slow, but it might be a trait of the DCT in general. Keep in mind its a manual transmission that shifts automatically, not a traditional automatic that uses a fluid torque converter. If you remember old school manuals could be push started because once the clutch is out and the vehicle is in gear the wheels (via the driveline) are connected directly to the engine. With an automatic this is not the case, as the torque converter uses fluid pressure. So I bet what you are feeling is the lack of this pressure.

No reverse sensors other then rear cross traffic alert. I wonder how many people are going to back into things because they assume it will beep at them.

Sounds great - congratulations on finally getting it (y)
Thanks for the input on both. (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts