Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I noticed that the garage door transmitter only works when the engine is running. With my previous truck I would sit in the truck, open the garage door and then start the truck but it doesn't work that way. Is there any way to tell the homelink system to work when the truck isn't on? I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually but it just seems strange. No biggie though. My silverado had homelink as well and they were always available.

·
Registered
Limited
180 Posts
The car doesn't have to be running. It has two "key on" sequences. With the key fob in the vehicle, foot off the brake pedal, hit the start button once and it'll say "accessory". Hit the start button twice and the vehicle is "on" but the engine is not running. The garage door button will work then.

Once the garage door is open, depress the brake pedal, and hit the start button. The vehicle will then start.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that works. I also did some reading on other cars and apparently this is better so that people don't break into your car and then hit the door opener to get into your house, so its by design. Ill get used to it, just seemed strange as my previous truck didn't do that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Neither does mine - my current truck keeps the Homelink active all the time, which is convenient.

But I can see the security advantages of turning it off. Different needs for different situations - car companies wanting to keep their buyers safe and happy. Hard to satisfy everyone.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
The car doesn't have to be running. It has two "key on" sequences. With the key fob in the vehicle, foot off the brake pedal, hit the start button once and it'll say "accessory". Hit the start button twice and the vehicle is "on" but the engine is not running. The garage door button will work then.

Once the garage door is open, depress the brake pedal, and hit the start button. The vehicle will then start.
^^ THIS ^^
Thanks for this tip. Foot off one click (accessory) works for keeping the radio on while sitting parked too. The radio will timeout otherwise. (y)

·
Registered
Limited
180 Posts
Correct. It will eventually turn the radio and power off in that mode as well. To make sure you don't drain the battery too much. But much longer this way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you park in your driveway, get in the habit of opening the garage door before you shut off the car. Otherwise you need to turn it back on accy or start it. It would be nice if it had a 30 second delay timer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That is strange to me. On my old 2012 sonata my home link buttons work with the car off. I guess home link got cheap and stopped putting a battery in their mirror.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
Having the garage door opening work ONLY when the car is running (or at least with the key fob present) is a great security feature. Anyone that parks their car in their driveway with a garage door opener in it, exposes their garage and possibly their house for easy entry. Criminals simple break into the car and push the garage door opener, then walk into the garage and sometimes the house too. Many people don't even lock their garage access door to their home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts