Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limited, Sage Gray
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Didn't see an existing thread on this topic so I thought I'd make a hub for this for anyone in the future that is interested in following through on this and to crowdsource some knowledge here.

Models of the Santa Cruz with a Homelink Rear View Mirror have a direct connecting from the cars wiring loom to power the Homelink.

I had a 2019 Mazda 3 hatchback prior to this and had used this plug to allow a USB A plug to power my dash cam.

I just took delivery of my Limited SC and popped open the panel behind the Homelink to see if I could reuse the plug.

The plug is behind a piece of plastic that can be popped off with a small hook

The Homelink plug is using a 10 pin connector

Turns out the Mazda 3 uses the same 10 pin plug (likely a standard Homelink plug) as the Santa Cruz.

After some finagling I was able to get everything packaged down into a decent size along with a compact 9" 90* USB A to Micro USB plug to plug into the dash cam.

This is where the story ends however, although all of the plugs fit together there is no power passed through from the adapter after the installation.
It appears to be model specific but I cannot tell you know, I'm not an EE. However a multimeter confirms no power is passed to the USB port and the homelink similarly is unpowered after the installation.

The idea is sound but it seems like there needs to be a specific Hyundai model for this to work.

If anyone knows of a similar product that could work please update this thread for us all to know!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just purchase this universal adapter to see if it will cooperate instead.
More or less just gets shoved in the 12v power and ground pins of the existing loom.

·
Registered
130 Posts
But why? Really; not sure why you want todo this instead of just running the cable down to the OBD II or fuse box. Unless you are doing a 1ch dashcam?

I always use 2ch system and don't have an issue running the power down if I already have to run a cable around for the rear camera. Right now I am just using the 12v plug but plan to use an OBD II power adapter and if that doesn't work just tap into the fuse box.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But why? Really; not sure why you want todo this instead of just running the cable down to the OBD II or fuse box. Unless you are doing a 1ch dashcam?

Precisely because I'm using a 1 channel and don't really want to run a lead to the fuse box if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
This is a very clean tapping method for dashcam, I've had that on my Tacoma. The downside is that it's ignition-on only.

This time, I have fuse tap on my SC and running on parking mode with Blackvue 2 ch 900s
If I haven't driven for 1 day, the next day SC would give me a battery draining warning

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks, great tip for a power source for anything you may want on the windshield or visor. Radar detector, GPS, …um…dash cam….There must be other stuff. Maybe a passenger foot massager. Or curling iron, boom box, waffle maker, CB radio…

Regardless, if you get a multimeter you can check each wire in the connector to determine which has + current switched or unswitched with ignition.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a very clean tapping method for dashcam, I've had that on my Tacoma. The downside is that it's ignition-on only.
If I haven't driven for 1 day, the next day SC would give me a battery draining warning

The point of the Homelink install is to be powered only with accessories instead of a constant draw on the battery. I like clean installations I don't have to think about and I would really hate to come back to a dead battery after going on a trip with my dash cam recording my garage interior.

Regardless, if you get a multimeter you can check each wire in the connector to determine which has + current switched or unswitched with ignition.

I checked the wires post installation with a multimeter and the vehicle powered on, the adapter I have currently is not transferring power from the Santa Cruz harness through the adapter. Waiting on the new "universal" adapter to see if I can't get it working.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts