Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the % is for the rear windows? I'd like to match my front windows with the rear windows so they look consistent, but Virginia only allow you to do 35 in the front, and it seems like the rear windows are darker than that.

Also has anyone tinted the rear window?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Does anyone know what the % is for the rear windows? I'd like to match my front windows with the rear windows so they look consistent, but Virginia only allow you to do 35 in the front, and it seems like the rear windows are darker than that.

Also has anyone tinted the rear window?
Just go to any reputable tint shop in your area. There are a wide variety of tints, and they aren't even all the same color, so they will be able to hold up samples or cut slivers for you up to the other windows to compare. Some tints are a bit blue, some brown, some metallic silver, etc. They'll be able to advise you on how dark you can go as well.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The shop will also know the laws in your state.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy that did my tints said the rear doors tested at 28%. I went with 35% on the fronts as that is the limit in my state. You have to really look hard to tell they are different.

View attachment 2626
Perfect! Thanks. My Ram 1500 had 20% in the rear and I decided to match it in the front which is illegal in Virginia (35% max in the front). But I wanted it to match. It looked great, but I was always afraid of being pulled over, and everytime a cop would come up next to me, I'd roll down the front windows, even in the winter. ****, I looked so guilty!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I live in VA. They recently changed tint infractions to a secondary offense, so you can't be pulled for it. You'd have to get pulled for something else to get ticketed.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
in Texas there's no requirement of visibility of rear windows so I went with the darkest tint on top of the factory colored glass. The result is absolutely pitch black that one can't see through even with a flash light

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
in Texas there's no requirement of visibility of rear windows so I went with the darkest tint on top of the factory colored glass. The result is absolutely pitch black that one can't see through even with a flash light
I did that with an SUV once, then quickly regretted it. You could not check the blind spot over your shoulder at night. Now with blind spot cameras and sensors things are better these days but a total black out behind you is a bit disconcerting (for me anyway).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did that with an SUV once, then quickly regretted it. You could not check the blind spot over your shoulder at night. Now with blind spot cameras and sensors things are better these days but a total black out behind you is a bit disconcerting (for me anyway).
My son has 5% on his windows and around dusk there is almost no way to see a dark colored car coming without their headlights on. Twice he's almost pulled out on a street and got side swiped by someone because he couldn't see them. Now, he rolls down his windows everytime he makes a turn.

I can appreciate an all blacked out car, but I think there are special tints out there (that probably cost a ton) that black out on the outside, but still allow you to see safely from the inside. My son's are definitely NOT those kind of tinted windows!

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
Yeah, if I didn't have blind spot view camera or the sensors I'd play it safe, but I found myself never need to check blind spot over the shoulder and glance through second row windows anymore. I would trust the safety tech more than myself because I know I can make human error but sensors will not make mistakes if the startup self check sequence is completed and passed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, if I didn't have blind spot view camera or the sensors I'd play it safe, but I found myself never need to check blind spot over the shoulder and glance through second row windows anymore. I would trust the safety tech more than myself because I know I can make human error but sensors will not make mistakes if the startup self check sequence is completed and passed.
This doesnt address when you are making a right hand turn right before dark and you can't see the black car that doesn't have his lights on yet coming at you at 45 or 50 mph. That's the scenario my son has faced twice now in the 4 months since he's had his Kia K5. He now rolls the windows down right before dawn or right at dusk whenever he makes a left or right turn because it's nearly impossible to see cars that don't have their headlights on.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
This doesnt address when you are making a right hand turn right before dark and you can't see the black car that doesn't have his lights on yet coming at you at 45 or 50 mph. That's the scenario my son has faced twice now in the 4 months since he's had his Kia K5. He now rolls the windows down right before dawn or right at dusk whenever he makes a left or right turn because it's nearly impossible to see cars that don't have their headlights on.
I agree, that's why my 1st row windows are only tinted to state legal max, I think it's about 25%, and they are not too dark.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree, that's why my 1st row windows are only tinted to state legal max, I think it's about 25%, and they are not too dark.
Oh, I got you. Sorry about that. I thought I had read that you went all blacked out on all windows. My bad. Yeah, I had 20% illegal on my Ram 1500 and while I could see out, the Ram also had auto dimming side mirrors, so the combination made it a bit harder to see out the side mirrors at night. I'm trying to get my son to replace his front windows with less tint, but he's 25 and insists that the front windows have to match the back windows or the car just won't look right. Arrrghh.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts