Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There been a lot of back and forth about the SC's target market. A lot of Maverick fans have hit the SC hard on what it is NOT... which is a truck. I understand the opinions of these folks as they are likely NOT going to be a SC owner due to their requirements. On the flip side, many owners of CUV/SUV are far more receptive as their requirements are more mild. In the middle are full size owners, maybe who don't want/need a full size truck, but need the utilitarian features the SC can provide.

Interesting video that clearly states the target market (while being respectful to traditional truck owners).

Enjoy

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
it seems as if towing was an after thought
they edited a trailer in a comically animated form and "attached" to the vehicle in towing promo part

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (Limited in the US)
772 Posts
That voiceover makes me crazy. I can't tell if it's a really dry read or a text to speech bot. But they definitely lay out the target market well.

·
Registered
793 Posts
They are avoiding labeling it a truck because that misrepresents its capabilities. Towing big numbers? No. Running difficult off-road trails? No. Hauling drywall in the bed? No.

What is odd is on paper the Mav has the same limitations yet feels its more truck-y just due to the looks. Ford has even seen fit to offer a real towing package and an off road setup to help boost this image. However this could play out badly for Mav owners who attempt such truck-y things only to find out they too bought a CUV with a bed.

I do believe Hyundai misread the market. People wanted a REAL truck - just a small one, like the old Ranger before it got bloated. This is why I think the SC will sell poorly: its a jack-of-trades yet master-of-none. Not truck-y enough for many, just look at the endless towing complaints and lack of an off-road package, yet too compromised for the CUV crowd with limited back seat room and poor mileage. The SC fills a niche... the same one Subaru currently owns - outdoor adventure folks that spend weekends rock climbing, backpacking, kayaking, mountain biking, etc. Thus they are trying to craft their message around that vibe. So far its coming off as fake pandering since it instead of doing adventure stuff in your SAV most will just throw five bags of mulch from Lowes in the bed. Of course this is what many full-size trucks owners do as well each weekend, they just look cooler with a 3" lift, big tires and a light bar in the grille.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (Limited in the US)
772 Posts
Hauling drywall in the bed? No.
...and a light bar in the grille.
Um, why can't you haul drywall in the bed? No different than doing it in a Maverick. Same fender humps, same two-position load-bearing tailgate. Literally the same setup. But somehow Ford gets credit for it when Hyundai showed it off first. Mystifying.

Also, our light bar in the grille comes as standard equipment on the SC. :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
it seems as if towing was an after thought
they edited a trailer in a comically animated form and "attached" to the vehicle in towing promo part
I saw more camouflaged Santa Cruz photos testing towing than any other before its' release. Towing was a major feature that was tested with the Santa Cruz. How it faired in those tests is anybody's guess. Maybe the results of that towe testing is the real issue. It clearly wasn't an afterthought.

IMHO the 7-PIN thing is a MAJOR OVERSIGHT on Hyundai's part!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
iu
I do believe Hyundai misread the market. People wanted a REAL truck - just a small one, like the old Ranger before it got bloated. This is why I think the SC will sell poorly: its a jack-of-trades yet master-of-none. Not truck-y enough for many, just look at the endless towing complaints and lack of an off-road package, yet too compromised for the CUV crowd with limited back seat room and poor mileage.
Sorry... disagree on the read. That is why I posted the video to show the target audience.

I think it will sell well in the target market. After all... why are you all here?

The towing complaints are not about it's capacity, but the availability of a coming part. If I was looking @ a Maverick, I'd be complaining about the towing capacity for sure... WHAT a Korean car company out did the mighty FORD truck company with a non-truck SAV/CUV???? How could that be...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hyundai is trying to stay away from truck comparisons for a reason. That's understandable.

Saturday when I purchased my truck, they had sold 4 so far. None were bought by the young action adventure crowd. They were older people buying them. The one did some adventure stuff. Her main concern was fitting her kayak in the bed somehow.

The other two were of the weekend home improvement and gardening corwd.

I need a bed as I hail things occasionally that I wouldn't want in a suv interior. Has anyone smelled used gear oil before? Whoa! But I don't want to drive a big truck everyday. I don't have kids to worry about the back seat space or less than 90 degree door openings. I have a sporty "suv" that has good driving dynamics, feels light compared to a truck, and still can do some of the things trucks can do. I've owned it two day and have used the bed to haul some car parts around, shopping crates for a buddy, and a home depot trip. I may not be the person they are marketing to. But I think this is a good truck for my needs.

I think it will be a low volume seller. It will attract buyers for different reasons. I think it's a great idea as most people don't need a full or mid size truck. Buyers having more options is a good thing. I'd like to see this segment do well.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Saturday when I purchased my truck, they had sold 4 so far. None were bought by the young action adventure crowd. They were older people buying them. The one did some adventure stuff. Her main concern was fitting her kayak in the bed somehow.
Yep... the marketing does not align with reality. So far the 54-65 crowd around here has a narrow lead and do believe this will be mirrored in the general population.

I see the average SC as some who is sick of driving a full size truck and want to return to a more reasonably sized vehicle that is actually fun to drive. To me the SC represents a blend between an old Ranger (medium duty hauling) and a Golf / GTI (zippy and fun to drive yet practical). I don't think most younger people have those two data points to draw experience from.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So far its coming off as fake pandering since it instead of doing adventure stuff in your SAV most will just throw five bags of mulch from Lowes in the bed. Of course this is what many full-size trucks owners do as well each weekend, they just look cooler with a 3" lift, big tires and a light bar in the grille.
I'm 55 years old. I owned a Ram 1500 crew cab for 18 months. I loved the truck with the exception that it was simply too **** big, way too hard to park, sounded great with that V8 engine but not engaging to drive, and finally, I used the bed sparingly to haul a few things to the dump, buy a couch, buy bags of mulch from Home Depot, and a few other things. Nothing else. So I sold it.

So here's why I'm considering a SC as my next "truck". Call it an SAV, but the SC can be used for any various types of uses. For me, this thing should be able haul 25-30 bags of mulch with the tailgate down and using the bed extender and tying everything down. Perfect for my mulch needs. Again, with the bed extender, I can put the bikes in the back, take things to the dump, pickup most items from the local Costco, etc.

I just can't see too many limitations for a 55 year old weekend home owner needing it for home improvement needs that just can't drive big full-size trucks anymore.

And with that 2.5 Turbo engine, and it's agile handling, I also get the ride and comfort that I'm looking for, and just the right amount of sportiness that I'm looking for. And sure, the back seat is limiting, but thankfully for me, it will only be the occassional grandchild back there, but mostly used for things, just not maybe as many things.

So is it a jack of all trades but master of none. Probably. But you know what? That's exactly what I was looking for. Something that checked off all of my boxes for my needs.

It's the perfect swiss army knife.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The oft-repeated argument on Santa Cruz and Ridgeline forums is that many/most large truck owners don't really need the capabilities of their brodozer; they want it for ego, vanity, or the dreaded "compensation." Over many years, every RL driver I have seen was male, middle-aged, and most looked, well... 'nerdy.' Coincidentally, this was a pretty good description of me when I first started noticing Ridgelines ('middle-aged' has since been superceded by 'geezerdom.') My point here is that as one ages, issues of vanity decline in importance and those of practicality rise. Thus, RLs and SCs appeal to a demographic different than the designers' (and advertisers') intent.

The twist with the Santa Cruz is that it is first and foremost a very stylish road rocket. Not hamstrung by the 'odd' appearance of the first generation RLs I think it has the potential to catch fire in the youth market place once there are enough out on the road to get noticed (just look at the interest generated by the @Barefoot Vlogger's Blue Iguana!)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree. I was driving next to a Ridgeline last night. It is definitely larger than my SC. Style doesn't even compare.

As far as marketing, I can't say Hyundai has done very well with it to this point. It seems almost everyone I talk to has no clue about it. I have owned mine for a couple of days and have already had at last 10 people ask me what it is at stoplights and the gas station. My favorite response is it's the new Chevy El Camino. :ROFLMAO: But then I either follow up with it is a Hyundai or they see the emblems. They have all been shocked. "I had no idea Hyundai made a pickup.". I don't try and explain how Hyundai calls it a SAV. But everyone I have talked to has said they really like the looks of it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I just can't see too many limitations for a 55 year old weekend home owner needing it for home improvement needs that just can't drive big full-size trucks anymore.
Same here. I actually find the small bed a feature, I don't want my non-truck friends asking me to help them move heavy things at my age (just turned 50) :ROFLMAO:

As I've stated in other posts I don't think in 20+ years of small to mid-size pickup truck ownership that I've used my whole bed. Sure a few times I had to drop the tailgate (thanks Ikea), but its never been a huge concern.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Same here. I actually find the small bed a feature, I don't want my non-truck friends asking me to help them move heavy things at my age (just turned 50) :ROFLMAO:

As I've stated in other posts I don't think in 20+ years of small to mid-size pickup truck ownership that I've used my whole bed. Sure a few times I had to drop the tailgate (thanks Ikea), but its never been a huge concern.
50? I was already driving my Mom's Pinto when you were born; and before the usual Pinto on fire comments.... I survived. I'm far from a contractor, but absolutely there were times the 6 foot bed on my present compact truck was useful. I just feel the small bed in the Cruz, and yes, the evil Maverick, are too small. The back of my truck always carries a set of ramps and other, what may be needed in case of emergency, etc. items (beer deposit returns). I used to be a big bicyclist, century tours, etc. where the bike(s) could be laid down in the bed, under the tonneau cover and not exposed to thievery. There's no way I'm leaving a carbon fiber bike hanging off/over the rear tailgate.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wouldn't a lot of the younger crowd they're advertising for at this time maybe have issues with being to afford a 30k plus vehicle? Lots of people still aren't working and it'd be the younger group that may not have had long time jobs (that the older folk are still working) that would help pay for the higher monthly payments.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limited, Sage Gray
36 Posts
I feel like I'm the theoretical buyer for the Santa Cruz that Hyundai had in mind, although I am a very small minority.

27, well paying job, no debt, living an active lifestyle.

While I'm extremely happy to have my SC Limited I am fully aware that people my age generally do not have as well established finances or careers at this point. Frankly I don't know what the **** they are thinking with their entire marketing but I got a great vehicle out of whatever they're smoking so I can't complain.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I feel like I'm the theoretical buyer for the Santa Cruz that Hyundai had in mind, although I am a very small minority.

27, well paying job, no debt, living an active lifestyle.

While I'm extremely happy to have my SC Limited I am fully aware that people my age generally do not have as well established finances or careers at this point. Frankly I don't know what the **** they are thinking with their entire marketing but I got a great vehicle out of whatever they're smoking so I can't complain.
Marketing to a new segment is more art than science. All the focus groups and data can't predict every demographic of buyers.

Congrats on your sucess as a youngster 😛 ... happy the SC is working out for you. 👍👍👍

1 - 20 of 23 Posts