Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyundai seems to be on a roll when it comes to power train options for one model. The Ioniq has three powertrain options as does the Kia Niro. For all we know, the Santa Cruz could come in hybrid form in the future or PHEV. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
729 Posts
i would like to see them come out with a Hybrid Pick-Up and if that happens odds are it will be in line with what other car makers have planned. Already Ford has plans for an F150 Hybrid due around 2020.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be ideal, especially for petrol powered pickups because of the extra torque it provides. More redundant with diesels but it will still save on gas. Hyundai seems to be well versed in offering various powertrain options on one platform. Just need to look at the Ioniq.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If they actually plan on bringing this concept to market, I think that will be an ingenious way to separate themselves from the segment leaders. My only concern with going full electric is it may be difficult to find a balance between weight and range capacity. I can almost guarantee that there will be a hybrid model, as this seems to be the next step for every pickup atm.

·
Registered
40 Posts
GMC has had a hybrid pickup out in California for couple years already and it is now available nation wide.

RAM announced their '19 hybrid pickup at NAIAS a month ago.

As noted, Ford will have their hybrid our in '20.

Hyundai continues to be day late and dollar short. They now have to have a hybrid just to get into game.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hyundai is taking their time on the Santa Cruz and concentration their efforts in bread and butter segments, which is understandable but stinks for those of us who were interested in getting a Santa Cruz. To stand out, Hyundai will need to release a hybrid pickup since everyone else is doing it and maybe make it available right when it's released.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It would make sense for them to delay the initial release, to fall in line with when their competitors release their hybrid pickup variants. They should wait to see what exactly is missing from the segment, so they can more easily differentiate themselves. That being said they don't want to wait too long as it looks like Nissan has interest in a Raptor rival.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts