Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will the hybrid version be out for 2023 you think? I saw an article somewhere about that... Electric or Hybrid "not far off" on the Hyundai Santa Cruz [Update] Thinking that since I want to wait til I have more money saved up for down payment and wait til inventory increases/pricing hopefully is more negotiable these might be available by then. Around what month are the following year cars usually available?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Until Hyundai can make hybrid vehicles in the USA, I don't think Santa Cruz will have hybrid because there's a tax on import pickup trucks

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (Limited in the US)
772 Posts
With the current chip shortages expected to continue through the end of next year ... I'd say 2024 may be the optimistic view right now. I wouldn't be surprised to not see it before MY2025.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I assume a hybrid will come, it almost has to since Ford offers one in the base Maverick. I could easily see Hyundai going the same route and canceling the current NA engine and just offering a hybrid and turbo. However like @Walking Black Bear said this will not happen for 2 to 3 years at least.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So to back track a lil cause I've never actually been in a hybrid vehicle... Are they worth getting? My last car is from 2014 and I only recall them being expensive so never bother researching but was just thinking if in going to pay like 30k maybe I should get one since that's they way engines may be going in the future?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
So to back track a lil cause I've never actually been in a hybrid vehicle... Are they worth getting? My last car is from 2014 and I only recall them being expensive so never bother researching but was just thinking if in going to pay like 30k maybe I should get one since that's they way engines may be going in the future?
If sipping fuel is something that you value I'd say yes, my SC still averages just about 16 mpg I only drive in urban stop and go traffic
my other hybrid Toyota averages 38 mpg. They are not that expensive compared to pure ICE

·
Registered
227 Posts
If sipping fuel is something that you value I'd say yes, my SC still averages just about 16 mpg I only drive in urban stop and go traffic
my other hybrid Toyota averages 38 mpg. They are not that expensive compared to pure ICE
That 16 mpg number makes my eyes water. That is only 4 more than I averaged on my 1999 silverado. It probably only got 8-10 city, but I only ever calculated averages that came in at 12-13 so it just sounds so painful on paper.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (Limited in the US)
772 Posts
The hybrid systems of today are much different than when the early Priuses came out. Even a few years ago. These days they seem to be using it to not just add mileage, but power and drivability to hybrid vehicles. I think once PHEVs started showing how the electrified power delivery could be used to give better off-the-line driving and then transition over to the ICE engine for cruising/highway speeds where ICE is more efficient and EVs use more power, it really started to click.

If there was a PHEV version of the SC, I'd jump all over that. I still believe them to be the best of both worlds right now. At least until infrastructure and battery/charging technology sufficiently advances. Batteries still have problems when it's too hot or too cold. And when you're road tripping, being able to go to 100% range in under 10 minutes is HUGE. An EV would add many hours onto my usual (before the COVID times) several times a year trip to Indiana. It would be the difference in a 14 hour door-to-door trip and overnighting at hotels and losing two days of vacation to travel vs. ICE. Call me selfish ... I can handle it. lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My friend complains about her used Prius that repairs cost a lot (battery and all that). Does the repair cost eat out the savings you get for gas?

·
Registered
476 Posts
My friend complains about her used Prius that repairs cost a lot (battery and all that). Does the repair cost eat out the savings you get for gas?
Prius gets great ratings for repairs/reliability. My daughter's Prius is a 2007 and had very little need for repair, just 'normal maintenance' type stuff (traction batteries haven't died yet!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts