Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It seems Hyundai is really looking to catch up with SUVs and trucks. Reuters heard that Hyundai is considering development of a large SUV that would be based on the Genesis.

It sounds like Hyundai has quite a few potential obstacles though.

Among the obstacles that the automaker faces with its attempt to compete in the high-margin market for utility vehicles is its poor SUV track record, its having no pickup trucks, and the dominance of U.S. and Japanese brands. It’s not known for sure if Hyundai will release this model to the market, according to one source.

There may be problems with its brand power in the SUV segment. It’s also possible that oil prices will go up and hurt the market for non-frugal vehicles. Another source said that when it comes to bigger SUVs, Hyundai is “timid.” The automaker is looking into an internal proposal submitted in 2014 to fill a gap at the SUV lineup’s high end with Genesis-based SUVs.
Hyundai is hoping that the appeal of the Genesis will carry to the SUV and help boost the image of the brand.

This is also interesting to note:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this happen.

Imaging this shaped into an SUV, a premium Genesis should look killer!

I just hope the introduce more new design things to it compared to what we have now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I see plenty of newer Santa Fe crossovers driving around -- to me it seems the brand has sufficient equity with buyers shopping the crossover segment. So I find their comment odd that Hyundai allegedly lacks brand power in the SUV segment.

I see plenty of Genesis sedans too. It seems logical to offer an SUV form in the US market for some of those buyers.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I see plenty of newer Santa Fe crossovers driving around -- to me it seems the brand has sufficient equity with buyers shopping the crossover segment. So I find their comment odd that Hyundai allegedly lacks brand power in the SUV segment.

I see plenty of Genesis sedans too. It seems logical to offer an SUV form in the US market for some of those buyers.
I`ve been seeing Genesis sedans from the new generation more than than the last one even from the time it was out, goes to show they`re doing something right.

·
Registered
111 Posts

but so the thing is, will they go above santa fe or replace it?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I think its all relative. Other brands have been putting out so many crossovers that comparatively Hyundai is behind. I do agree with you though. It's not like Hyundai makes bad crossovers and SUVs at the moment.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Replacing the Santa Fe might be a good move for them, adding it above could thin their efforts out too much
There can never be too many SUVs/CUVs in today's market.

A Genesis based SUV would be positioned as a premium vehicle above the Santa Fe. Yes the Santa Fe has three rows, but it is still pretty small at 193" in length. That's midsize sedan dimensions. A Genesis based CUV could be made larger, more roomier, with extra luxury, and most importantly - with a V8.

·
Registered
26 Posts

A Genesis based SUV would be positioned as a premium vehicle above the Santa Fe. Yes the Santa Fe has three rows, but it is still pretty small at 193" in length. That's midsize sedan dimensions. A Genesis based CUV could be made larger, more roomier, with extra luxury, and most importantly - with a V8.
x2. Hyundai would be smart to not alter the Santa Fe, which could jeopardize its current success in the market.

Add the new SUV above the Santa Fe.

I think Kia/Hyundai's reluctance stems from the dramatic failure of the 2008 Kia Mohave SUV, which left the market after only about a year.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think Kia/Hyundai's reluctance stems from the dramatic failure of the 2008 Kia Mohave SUV, which left the market after only about a year.
That is also a good reason why they need to stay away from making a traditional midsize or fullsize pickup... for now.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Yea, I'm thinking Infinti QX80, Escalade, Navigator rival...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think that they would go for that size. Sure they bring good margins, but since it is their first luxury SUV I think they should go with something a bit smaller that will sell in higher volumes and would therefore be more visible on the road.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I don't think that they would go for that size. Sure they bring good margins, but since it is their first luxury SUV I think they should go with something a bit smaller that will sell in higher volumes and would therefore be more visible on the road.
I think of how they approach this like how they did with the Genesis compared to the rest of their sedan line up, just as that's structured, the same they want for SUV's

·
Registered
728 Posts
Even that bigger Lincoln SUV can be thrown into this MK-something.

And being an SUV like that, it will also help Hyundai to get one more fleet product out there.

I've noticed a lot of Genesis sedans as limo's.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can see it eating up Buick sales, Buick has been boring and continues to stay their.
Boring, but also nice cars. I do think that Hyundai can offer something more interesting though. It's design language is much better than Buick imo.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Boring, but also nice cars. I do think that Hyundai can offer something more interesting though. It's design language is much better than Buick imo.
Nice enough to not send them down the same path Pontiac went, they're still trying to save the brand. It has a way to position itself in the market, they just need to play their cards right.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think that Buick is going the way of Pontiac. it has just enough to stick around. Its in a bit of a limbo. Over time it will have to either do well, or fold.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts