Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyundai is leading the industry today as they are now the first automaker to offer Android Auto on a production model.

What makes this significant is that Hyundai pushed hard to be the FIRST automaker with the technology and Google pushed qually as hard to reach market before Apples CarPlay...

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150526/OEM06/150529918/hyundai-wins-race-to-offer-android-auto

Customers may not be willing to do without Android Auto once they try it for the first time, said Cason Grover, a senior manager at Hyundai Motor America who works on connected-car technology. One day when he got into his car to leave for a business trip, Android Auto asked whether he wanted to set the airport as his destination; the system had tapped into his Google calendar and knew he had a flight departing in a couple of hours.

“Within not too many years, this could become almost a ubiquitous technology in the industry,” Grover said in an interview. “We have a great opportunity by being early because it’ll be a differentiator for us for hopefully quite some time. I think customers will very quickly start to see the benefit and see the reason to seek out a vehicle with this technology.”

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
728 Posts
As far as smartphones go, i've noticed Apple iPhones have taken a dip over the years with Androids on the rise, starting to think that can be expected with automotive application of these operating systems with androids being favored.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's a huge weight off of Hyundai's shoulders too. They no longer have to dedicate resources to developing an infotainment system. Google will continue to improve the system and Hyundai can just smile and nod.

Does that mean the Santa Cruz will get this technology?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AutoNews is LOVING AA. They say that its really fascinating how Android and CarPlay will allow companies like Hyundai to have a better interface then high end proprietary systems from the likes of Benz for example.

ndroid Auto works with smartphones that use the latest version of Google’s Android operating system. To start it, you connect the phone to the USB port in the car and press the Android Auto logo on the car’s navigation screen. That pulls up a row of buttons along the bottom of the screen for music, phone calls and maps, plus a home page that shows directions to the locations of upcoming appointments and a weather report for the driver’s current location.
They also gush about the improvement in voice control AA now offers...

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150527/BLOG06/150529888/android-auto-proves-to-be-luxuriously-simple?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can't wait for this feature to become more commonplace. I hate how factory nav systems always become outdated. Android Auto allows us to say goodbye to those days of antiquating nav systems!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Considering how reviews often times sharply criticize the infotainment systems of many brands, its about time this delegated this to companies that have more expertise. Happy its happening now, but it almost seems overdue.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Considering how reviews often times sharply criticize the infotainment systems of many brands, its about time this delegated this to companies that have more expertise. Happy its happening now, but it almost seems overdue.
Plus these companies making hand held devices; smartphones, tablets, phablets, have better experience, hardware and software, might as well use what they have rather than reinvent the wheel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't wait for this feature to become more commonplace. I hate how factory nav systems always become outdated. Android Auto allows us to say goodbye to those days of antiquating nav systems!
Factory nav systems recieve software updates on the regular. Well not just the nav but the entire infotainment system... They're getting to the point where they can broadcast them OTA.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Factory nav systems recieve software updates on the regular. Well not just the nav but the entire infotainment system... They're getting to the point where they can broadcast them OTA.
Just like with phones that require a data or wifi connection.

Good step up, no need to roll into the dealer and waste all that time.

·
Registered
385 Posts
question though. dont these super slick infortainment systems just encourage people to ask for autonomous driving? these systems are ecoming the focus not the car or the driving you know...
I think you are right, and I know that many people are sad to see the art of driving become a relic, but I do think that this is the natural evolution of vehicles. And its also what people want. That's why so many people are texting or doing whatever else on their phone while driving. They don't really want to drive any more. They just want to be driven and check Instagram.

If it makes you feel better, I still think we've got a while before autonomous cars start becoming the norm.

·
Registered
728 Posts
People who really love to drive will just have to buy older cars, probably an older fun car parked next to their new boring car.

·
Registered
385 Posts
People who really love to drive will just have to buy older cars, probably an older fun car parked next to their new boring car.
I also think there will still be a segment of the market that is dedicated to true driver cars. These will probably be higher end though. Basically an extension of the supercar market right now. Perhaps expanded a bit so that they all don't cost ~$100k.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I also think there will still be a segment of the market that is dedicated to true driver cars. These will probably be higher end though. Basically an extension of the supercar market right now. Perhaps expanded a bit so that they all don't cost ~$100k.
What segment is that with what cars?

Tech is only increasing, no matter what segment, it wont be as true driver cars as they were years ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That time has already come. Newer electric power steering systems don't offer the feel of older hydraulic steering.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with the last two statements 100%. I just traded my daily driver in on an 05 Jeep Liberty. I could afford a much newer SUV, but I WANTED a 1st gen Liberty more than any of the new egg utility vehicles and I'm enjoying much more than I thought I would! I find myself loosing appeal for new car designs; probably why I am so exciting about the S/C, it stands out side of the egg-crate that car lots have become.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with the last two statements 100%. I just traded my daily driver in on an 05 Jeep Liberty. I could afford a much newer SUV, but I WANTED a 1st gen Liberty more than any of the new egg utility vehicles and I'm enjoying much more than I thought I would! I find myself loosing appeal for new car designs; probably why I am so exciting about the S/C, it stands out side of the egg-crate that car lots have become.

Newer cars are simply becoming more isolating from the road and comfortable. That's what people in focus groups want. The new Santa Cruz is going to be a special product, but I imagine it's still going to drive on the more disconnected side. That's fine for daily driving, but you'll want to have a car you like on the side if you want to experience the road.

I'd like to have a setup of a daily driver Santa Cruz and a track ready BMW E36 M3 on the side for weekend driving. That's what I'm working toward.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think we have a compound problem when it comes to design. A) the current crop of cute utes especially are built on subcompact platforms which is leading to this taller box shape, egg crate as you excellently put it. B) as cars become packed with more and more safety tech the size grows which then leads to them adding massive wheels to mask the proportions of the belt line and a myriad of contour lines to again hide the slab sides...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In infotainment news, survey says consumers don't fully understand their infotainment systems

I love the first sentence in the article thought, Car owners are not taking advantage of their new advanced infotainment systems. Logicially it seems if they're not taking 'advantage' they either don't know its an 'advantage' or there is no 'advantage' and most of the modern frippery is simply superfluous to operating motor vehicles...

A total of 14,000 vehicle owners were surveyed and 43 percent of the participants said that automakers are adding too much infotainment technology to new vehicles. On the survey, infotainment features available now scored low in owner satisfaction.
Indeed...

“It’s sort of an arms race — who can have the most technology in the vehicle — and consumers are confused,” said Nielsen Vice President Mike Chadsey.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Most folks just hop in their ride, and don't worry about using the system till they run into things they need to use on the go and then they have problems using it. Making an interface easy to understand like smartphones is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts