Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to call the US Hyundai HQ yesterday to see if they had any updates on the Santa Cruz. The representative opened a case for me but did not have any new information. He basically told me to watch for any news on the concepts page on their site.

Sadly, they were not much help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes I checked with them several months ago & pretty much got the same answer you did. Interestingly enough the woman I spoke to had to research it because she hadn't heard of it and she said that was a cool vehicle & she would like one.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Don't call or email Hyundai HQ, or the dealer looking for information on future product. As you found out, you probably know more than anyone you will ever come in contact with. Even if you did happen to find someone with information, if they share it they could be fired. Information like this is most importantly kept secret so competitors don't know what they are doing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't call or email Hyundai HQ, or the dealer looking for information on future product. As you found out, you probably know more than anyone you will ever come in contact with. Even if you did happen to find someone with information, if they share it they could be fired. Information like this is most importantly kept secret so competitors don't know what they are doing.

I knew that was most likely going to be the case but just trying to find an update some where. Hyundai is really handling this poorly.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes, they are handling it poorly. They should have never said anything about the Santa Cruz potentially going to production without concrete plans to do so. They should have followed the usual practice of showing the concept to gauge interest, and leave it at that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Totally agree BahamaTodd, either:

a. Follow the usual practice of showing the concept, then generate interest again when prototypes are seen testing at which point we know production is imminent.

b. Provide community with timely update (ala Chevy with Camaro). <Hyundai can always back away with "unforeseen changes to market conditions" - which Ford/Jeep might yet do with their mid sized trucks.>

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, they are handling it poorly. They should have never said anything about the Santa Cruz potentially going to production without concrete plans to do so. They should have followed the usual practice of showing the concept to gauge interest, and leave it at that.
I thought Hyundai was going to go through with the Santa Cruze but they're just taking their time giving the final green light. Am I mistaken?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I thought Hyundai was going to go through with the Santa Cruze but they're just taking their time giving the final green light. Am I mistaken?
It could have already got the green light. Or it could be dead. Anything can happen at any time. They're just keeping quiet about it - as they should. All we can do now is speculate.

My speculation:
They want to move forward with it but their hurdles are mainly with manufacturing:

Its a truck, so due to the chicken tax it has to be built in America;

They have no open capacity to build it in any of their N. American factories;

If it is based on the Tucson / Sportage, since the SC will most likely be lower volume compared to those, it would only make sense to build it on the same assembly line. Neither of those vehicles are built in the US.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did we maybe miss a subtle hint?

Kia has CUV (Sorento) manufacturing in North America and don't they assemble Santa Fe's there?

Kia said if Hyundia gets a coupe utility, they could too...

Why not on the Santa Fe/Sorento chassis in West Point, GA, USA?

Just thinking out loud...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a feeling they might want to move production overseas, so chances are going forward we can see it happen. Just need to stay on top of what they have planned for production in the future. Usually all that infrastructure gets announced well in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a feeling they might want to move production overseas, so chances are going forward we can see it happen. Just need to stay on top of what they have planned for production in the future. Usually all that infrastructure gets announced well in advance.
But if they produce this over seas then they will get hit with the chicken tax and the cost will be too much here..they'll have to figure it out getting manufactured here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts