Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been talking a little about Hyundai using fuel cells in the Santa Cruz, so I thought it would be good to post up this info on the Hyundai ix Fuel Cell which is being billed as the "world's first mass produced fuel cell electrical vehicle."

The price will be starting at £53,105 OTR with part-funding from the HyFive project. The incentive takes a whopping £15,000 off of the full price tag, which is £67,985.

The Hyundai ix Fuel Cell has a range of 594 km, power of 136 PS, and a top speed of 160 km/h. Hyundai says that the vehicle will be able to start at temperatures as low as -25 degrees. Its not clear how cold it can be to still function properly, since I know that it gets colder than that in Canada where I live.

So it could be possible for a hydrogen Santa Cruz, but if that happens it will be pretty expensive.

Hyundai ix35 Fuel Cell priced from £53,105 taking into account £15,000 incentive

·
Registered
728 Posts
No one on this forum mentioned anything about the Santa Cruz specifically using a fuel cell, just fuel cell usage within Hyundai and how its growing. :|

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes it could happen and it would be pretty expensive. The Tucson fuel cell which will be available in the US will only be available on a $500/month 36 month lease with $3k down. They won't be offering it for sale and don't give a price, but that lease is on par with a lease on a $50k vehicle. As of now it will only be available in southern CA since that's the only area with any kind of fueling infrastructure.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/tucsonfuelcell/

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No one on this forum mentioned anything about the Santa Cruz specifically using a fuel cell, just fuel cell usage within Hyundai and how its growing. :|
OK...

I don't see how that is really that relevant. Is this not a discussion that can be had anyway?

It will be interesting to see how this kinda pilot project works out in California. I'm sure a lot is riding on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes it could happen and it would be pretty expensive. The Tucson fuel cell which will be available in the US will only be available on a $500/month 36 month lease with $3k down. They won't be offering it for sale and don't give a price, but that lease is on par with a lease on a $50k vehicle. As of now it will only be available in southern CA since that's the only area with any kind of fueling infrastructure.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/tucsonfuelcell/
CA is green infrastructure central.

Looked at a map of where hydrogen fueling stations are and they have a healthy spread of them across the entire state.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read that it only is available in 8 dealerships across California though. It definitely is a soft launch, or pilot project. Very much an experimental thing to see how things go.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Makes sense.

If it won't do well in those markets, it won't have a chance at doing well anywhere else.

Might as well stick with where the market 'hubs' are for such tech.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am guessing they have them in wealthy areas like San Fran, LA, and the like.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well there are entry-level EV's.
It's not all about wealthy areas but areas that have people with the sort of income and justification to get one.

·
Registered
728 Posts
We'll know if that will happen depending on what other vehicles they use a diesel in, at least that will signal them wanting to expand use of diesel engines.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you think that the diesel is less likely given the urban nature of this vehicle? I feel like diesel has a bit more popularity in rural and suburban areas than it does in urban areas.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yes, that is a factor.

Plus they can already get away with a gasoline 4 cylinder powerplant and still have the capability, mileage and power they want.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, that is a factor.

Plus they can already get away with a gasoline 4 cylinder powerplant and still have the capability, mileage and power they want.
just minimal or no towing capacity
maybe a sea-doo at most but even that might be recommended.

·
Registered
728 Posts
or a small camper surely...
Campers most definitely, I can't imagine them being more than 1000 LBS, the smaller ones of course.

Overall it's going to be practical enough, folks just need to see how it fits into their lifestyle and decide from their.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Campers most definitely, I can't imagine them being more than 1000 LBS, the smaller ones of course.

Overall it's going to be practical enough, folks just need to see how it fits into their lifestyle and decide from their.
Urban customers would rarely need to tow something more than a sea-doo or a small camper. This is not the vehicle for you if you are going to try to tow a large boat, full-on rv-style camper and the like.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Urban customers would rarely need to tow something more than a sea-doo or a small camper. This is not the vehicle for you if you are going to try to tow a large boat, full-on rv-style camper and the like.
and that's exactly what my answers are geared towards, what they'd actually tow with it and be able to most importantly. No one is expecting it to tow beyond that lol

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and that's exactly what my answers are geared towards, what they'd actually tow with it and be able to most importantly. No one is expecting it to tow beyond that lol
Yea, if you want to tow more than that it is not a problem with the Santa Cruz, it is that you are looking at the wrong class of vehicle. Show me any small truck that can tow some huge RV.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Related news about the Tucson fuel cell:

HYUNDAI TUCSON FUEL CELLS ACCUMULATE NEARLY ONE-HALF MILLION ZERO-EMISSION MILES IN FIRST YEAR OF CONSUMER AVAILABILITY

Today marks a full year of consumer availability for the first mass-produced fuel cell vehicle, the Hyundai Tucson Fuel Cell CUV. This innovative hydrogen-powered CUV has been delivered to 70 Southern California residents, who have since accumulated more than 475,000 miles on their local streets and freeways, all while emitting only environmentally-friendly clean water vapor. The Tucson Fuel Cell CUV offers high-versatility, refueling speed similar to gasoline, and an estimated 265 miles of driving range, comparing favorably with similar gasoline vehicles.

This increasing number of real-world fuel cell drivers and their cumulative impact on emissions reduction marks a major milestone in the continuing adoption of fuel cell technology. Recognizing the important role these consumers are taking in reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, Hyundai is helping to share their story in a variety of ways.

“Over the past year, Hyundai’s Tucson Fuel Cell owners are showing the world today that this technology represents the next generation of zero-emissions transportation,” said Mike O’Brien, vice president, Corporate and Product Planning, Hyundai Motor America. “Building momentum for fuel cell vehicles and their real-world applications, these customers are sharing their experiences of how the Tucson fits seamlessly into their daily lives.”

1 - 20 of 22 Posts