Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a youtuber. I can't count how many people are ordering the base Maverick because it's value is so high, and it's so ....well cheap. 22K !!!!! Seriously Ford priced it right. I didn't even Ford was going to make this Maverick, nor Hyundai the Cruz. So come on Hyundaii get the lead out and get this Vehicle priced out. So we KNOW< OKAY!!!! We would be happy CAMPERS!

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
201 Posts
lol, I'm glad that Ford is launching the Maverick so cheaply, forcing Hyundai to stay competitive. Otherwise, I could easily see Hyundai price SC from $25k-$42k

·
Registered
464 Posts
Do you really think Hyundai is going to lower their price to compete with a product designed to be cheaper from the get go? This is like asking Honda to lower the price of the Ridgeline just because the Maverick came out. The SC starting price has been rumored to be $25k or so where Ford announced a long time ago they were targeting a sub $20k price. The Maverick is an entry level vehicle whereas the SC is more upmarket. The price will reflect this.

Prepare yourself for a flood of “the SC is too expensive“ posts once the price is announced. I doubt anyone looking at a base Maverick is considering a SC due to the MPG difference alone. This was Ford ace-in-the-hole: having a 40 MPG hybrid that nobody saw coming. Hyundai currently can’t compete with that regards of price.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
308 Posts
Ford did well with pricing, to be sure. And Hyundai needs to be competitive - or people will walk. I'm one of them. I've already configured an XLT Luxury hybrid to what I would want, and know the taxes in price. I'm willing to go a bit higher on the Santa Cruz, but only so much. The longer we wait, the more attractive other things start to look. There's a Canyon AT4 on my dealer's lot right now that ticks most of my boxes too. I could have it in my driveway next week. It's a little bigger, but it'll do the job too.

Hopefully we get our answers this week.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do you really think Hyundai is going to lower their price to compete with a product designed to be cheaper from the get go? This is like asking Honda to lower the price of the Ridgeline just because the Maverick came out. The SC starting price has been rumored to be $25k or so where Ford announced a long time ago they were targeting a sub $20k price. The Maverick is an entry level vehicle whereas the SC is more upmarket. The price will reflect this.

Prepare yourself for a flood of “the SC is too expensive“ posts once the price is announced. I doubt anyone looking at a base Maverick is considering a SC due to the MPG difference alone. This was Ford ace-in-the-hole: having a 40 MPG hybrid that nobody saw coming. Hyundai currently can’t compete with that regards of price.
as much as I wish SC gets priced as cheap as possible, I'm afraid the reality is more like what you described, SC in every trim packs more luxury than Maverick for sure. Additionally, we're in a seller's market for cars right now, they will have no problem selling SC

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ford did well with pricing, to be sure. And Hyundai needs to be competitive - or people will walk. I'm one of them. I've already configured an XLT Luxury hybrid to what I would want, and know the taxes in price. I'm willing to go a bit higher on the Santa Cruz, but only so much. The longer we wait, the more attractive other things start to look. There's a Canyon AT4 on my dealer's lot right now that ticks most of my boxes too. I could have it in my driveway next week. It's a little bigger, but it'll do the job too.

Hopefully we get our answers this week.
I feel the Maverick is not only going to eat other small trucks's lunch, but also other cheap cars too. Normally if anyone were to ask what a new cheap car to buy, I'd steer them to a Corolla because near $20k budget, a compact car is all there is. But now I'd say get a base Maverick for sure

·
Registered
308 Posts
Location can play a factor too. IE: my nearest Hyundai dealer is about 90 miles away - add 60 more if I'm at work when something breaks and needs service. I have two Ford dealers - same ownership - within walking distance of home and office. It's a little thing, but I can't NOT factor that in either.

If the Santa Cruz were to have a "gotta Tire tow it" issue, it's going to be a lot of hours to just reach the dealer shop. Then the question of getting home and picking it up again requiring a day off work. I'm edging closer and closer to changing my mind, the more time I get to think on it. But I do love the look of the Cruz....a lot.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hyundai has to remember...They are Hyundai They aren't the top tier, a lot better since they came up with the 10yr /100,000-mile warranty but I remember them from the past, So Hopefully they don't get too uppity and tried to think this is worth more than the Maverick, just because it has a prettier face... And the group that they are focused on is the younger crowd and do they have lots of $$$?? with a new family..house....job?, this group needs a car that can do some truck Where the Maverick is focused on the older person who needs a truck even in a limited capacity..that can do car when needed.
So it comes down to...Do you want a Truck that looks like a Truck built by Ford or do you want a car that does a truck built by Hyundai ....
In my homeowner limited need for a truck...either would work but which would I prefer to drive daily?? the Maverick because I want my truck to look like a Truck :)
and I think the Cruz is a Sport Aventure Vehicle and see it carry camping gear in the back, not carry bags of mulch and plants ..Sorry my 2 cents..

·
Registered
464 Posts
I feel the Maverick is not only going to eat other small trucks's lunch, but also other cheap cars too.
Bingo. The Maverick is 1) the cheapest Ford you can buy and 2) the cheapest hybrid you can buy. At sub $20k why limit yourself with a boring car when you can get a cool truck with such great mileage. Ford has won this end of the scale, no reason to even attempt to chase them down there.

Hyundai has to remember...They are Hyundai They aren't the top tier, a lot better since they came up with the 10yr /100,000-mile warranty but I remember them from the past, So Hopefully they don't get too uppity and tried to think this is worth more than the Maverick, just because it has a prettier face.
Hyundai's sell on value, where I believe their mid to higher trims will have the most impact. Sure you spend extra cash but in return you get a lot more features, tech and style. I think Honda is in their crosshairs, because anyone considering a Ridgeline has to wonder why its so expensive compared to a SC.

I find it interesting how the SC fits neatly between these two competitors.

Keep in mind the SC tooling, suppliers, parts, production costs, etc where all established months if not a year ago when the vehicle was designed (well before the Maverick's price release), so they can't just suddenly cut the price - especially right out of the gate. I'm sure their marketing department is preparing the dealers for a lot of buyers walking. Oddly they might not care since the lower trims have less profit baked into them. Ideally you want to sell loaded vehicles.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bingo. The Maverick is 1) the cheapest Ford you can buy and 2) the cheapest hybrid you can buy. At sub $20k why limit yourself with a boring car when you can get a cool truck with such great mileage. Ford has won this end of the scale, no reason to even attempt to chase them down there.

Hyundai's sell on value, where I believe their mid to higher trims will have the most impact. Sure you spend extra cash but in return you get a lot more features, tech and style. I think Honda is in their crosshairs, because anyone considering a Ridgeline has to wonder why its so expensive compared to a SC.

I find it interesting how the SC fits neatly between these two competitors.

Keep in mind the SC tooling, suppliers, parts, production costs, etc where all established months if not a year ago when the vehicle was designed (well before the Maverick's price release), so they can't just suddenly cut the price - especially right out of the gate. I'm sure their marketing department is preparing the dealers for a lot of buyers walking. Oddly they might not care since the lower trims have less profit baked into them. Ideally you want to sell loaded vehicles.
And that is the reason..a lot of us can't afford what is on the lots.....Loaded down Trucks with a bunch of overpriced garbage that you could buy on the street for 25% of the dealer cost because we all know that is part of their profit....the add-ons.
With the Maverick XLT Hybrid, I feel they are giving you an honest truck for an honest price.....Time will see if I'm right; I mean I could walk up to it and see all kinds of cheap going on that just turns me off and I run to Hyundai.
Hopefully, our wait isn't too long :) Of course, pricing or lack of, could drive the last screw into my attitude about Hyundai and their pricing timing

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the Cruz base is 4-5K higher than the Maverick I think the Ford hybrid will eat Hyundai’s lunch for that buyer demo - light commercial and budget-is-everything customers. For everyone who can afford 5-10K more and have mpg lower on the priority scale I see the opposite proportion of market domination in upper level models.

Important factors in order as I see them.

-Fun to drive. Cruze has great power advantage from the stoplight and on the highway. I expect the handling will also be superior, but we’ll see. If this were the only advantage the price difference would be worth it for me.

-Reliability. I would bet money the Hyundai spends far less time in the shop.

- Comfort/luxury. Interior is no contest. Ride? Again, we’ll see, but I would not bet money on the Ford coming out on top.

-Styling. While I think the Cruz is gorgeous and the Mav a bit stodgy, I don’t discount the appeal of the traditional truck look. So a factor, but not a huge one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Location can play a factor too. IE: my nearest Hyundai dealer is about 90 miles away - add 60 more if I'm at work when something breaks and needs service. I have two Ford dealers - same ownership - within walking distance of home and office. It's a little thing, but I can't NOT factor that in either.

If the Santa Cruz were to have a "gotta Tire tow it" issue, it's going to be a lot of hours to just reach the dealer shop. Then the question of getting home and picking it up again requiring a day off work. I'm edging closer and closer to changing my mind, the more time I get to think on it. But I do love the look of the Cruz....a lot.
Walking Black Bear,
I've been enjoying your posts, thanks. I couldn't resist to comment: You can always but a house near the Hyundai dealership and eliminate the 60 mile trip!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hyundai has to remember...They are Hyundai They aren't the top tier, a lot better since they came up with the 10yr /100,000-mile warranty but I remember them from the past, So Hopefully they don't get too uppity and tried to think this is worth more than the Maverick, just because it has a prettier face... And the group that they are focused on is the younger crowd and do they have lots of $$$?? with a new family..house....job?, this group needs a car that can do some truck Where the Maverick is focused on the older person who needs a truck even in a limited capacity..that can do car when needed.
So it comes down to...Do you want a Truck that looks like a Truck built by Ford or do you want a car that does a truck built by Hyundai ....
In my homeowner limited need for a truck...either would work but which would I prefer to drive daily?? the Maverick because I want my truck to look like a Truck :)
and I think the Cruz is a Sport Aventure Vehicle and see it carry camping gear in the back, not carry bags of mulch and plants ..Sorry my 2 cents..
Dear Casd,

Thanks for letting us older folks know that the Maverick is what we are suppose to be buying. Four of us older people (65+) near my location have put the hundred dollars down on the Santa Cruz top of the line trim AWD Turbo and we all plan to pay cash and three of us don't care what the cost is. Just because we are older than you does not mean we do not appreciate styling and performance, and we can afford it with out worrying about crap like fuel mileage. We all like to fish, hunt, camp, hike, fix stuff around the house and putz with lots of other hobbies, and we have ALL day long to do so. So for people like you that can't afford a Santa Cruz, buy the cheap Ford. 😁😁😁

·
Registered
26 Posts
Edmonds had posted on their website that the naturally asperated two wheel drive would start at about $35k and the turbo AWD at about $40k.

Feature wise, these prices wouldn't surprise me, but they won't sell a lot of them either. Then again, with inflation roaring the way it is, this may be the new normal. If Hyundai can find it within themselves to drop these prices $5,000, then I think they can have a real winner here. (And I'll be able to find a way to afford one). I'm sure Hyundai corporate is agonizing over this one, and the Maverick is a wildcard for them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't think the Maverick is a wildcard. If the AWD Turbo starts at 40US, that'll be north of 50 in Canada which is up into Jeep Gladiator territory. Full size F-150 turf. Full size Ram turf. If they do that, they'll have nerfed any hope of this vehicle selling. I'll be watching the website closely this week, waiting to see numbers appear. If I don't like what I see, I'm ordering a Maverick ... or going a completely non-truckish route... like an Ioniq Hybrid or something cheap to drive to work.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Dear Casd,

Thanks for letting us older folks know that the Maverick is what we are suppose to be buying. Four of us older people (65+) near my location have put the hundred dollars down on the Santa Cruz top of the line trim AWD Turbo and we all plan to pay cash and three of us don't care what the cost is. Just because we are older than you does not mean we do not appreciate styling and performance, and we can afford it with out worrying about crap like fuel mileage. We all like to fish, hunt, camp, hike, fix stuff around the house and putz with lots of other hobbies, and we have ALL day long to do so. So for people like you that can't afford a Santa Cruz, buy the cheap Ford. 😁😁😁
Well, I'm one of the older folk :) I was just pointing out that the designers had an eye who the buyers are going to be "Most Likely" for their trucks.. It's their niche, not mine...I have both reserved so whichever floats my boat gets my money... Being that both have a similar sized bed.. But the reason I'm getting rid of my current rig is because of the MPG, So the Ford appeals to me more, But after driving the Cruz with its healthy HP I might over look 20 -/+ MPG difference from the Maverick...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, I'm one of the older folk :) I was just pointing out that the designers had an eye who the buyers are going to be "Most Likely" for their trucks.. It's their niche, not mine...I have both reserved so whichever floats my boat gets my money... Being that both have a similar sized bed.. But the reason I'm getting rid of my current rig is because of the MPG, So the Ford appeals to me more, But after driving the Cruz with its healthy HP I might over look 20 -/+ MPG difference from the Maverick...
I'm replacing a 2006 Subaru Baja. The Santa Cruz is the only vehicle since 2006 to offer somewhat the same amenities that the Baja has. When people ask my wife why I drive such an old car, she replies " the only way you can get him to give up that old Baja, is to pry it out of his cold dead hands".

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm replacing a 2006 Subaru Baja. The Santa Cruz is the only vehicle since 2006 to offer somewhat the same amenities that the Baja has. When people ask my wife why I drive such an old car, she replies " the only way you can get him to give up that old Baja, is to pry it out of his cold dead hands".
[/QUOTE
Remember the Brat?.....Even way back then I thought it was a death trap :) lol.... I do wish Subaru would come back out with the Baja

·
Registered
173 Posts
Remember the Brat?.....Even way back then I thought it was a death trap :) the bed seats..that is..... lol.... I do wish Subaru would come back out with the Baja

1 - 20 of 35 Posts