Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

If the Santa Cruz was available as a two-door, long bed pickup, would you get it?

• Yes

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 50.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
I would take suicide doors, but I wouldn't take that short a cab. I don't always ride with three or more passengers, but when I do, I don't like to fold them into origami shapes first.

Only way I could do that short cab would be if the front seats were bench seats, but that doesn't really work w/ the interior design and width of the vehicle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think there'd be a good amount of people who'd go after a 2-door Santa Cruz to fill that need of a proper small pickup like the old Ford Rangers. But for me I like the extra space and would rather have Hyundai extend the Santa Cruz's bed rather than shrink the cab.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had an ext cab Tacoma a few years back and hated that I had to open the driver or passenger door to then open one of the mini doors and then I had to have both open to get groceries into the back... it's just too awkward to me... easier to have a full door open.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I had an ext cab Tacoma a few years back and hated that I had to open the driver or passenger door to then open one of the mini doors and then I had to have both open to get groceries into the back... it's just too awkward to me... easier to have a full door open.
IMO one of the biggest oversights in so many pickups is where to put small things like groceries.

That's why I love the Rambox cargo management system along with a tonneau cover. Ramboxes offer two drainable cooler type compartments on each side of the bed, and then in the bed itself you have a movable divider, which can also be extended out over the tailgate to increase bed length. I typically have this divider almost all the way up toward the tailgate, so that grocery trips and what not you just drop the damped tailgate, throw stuff into the back or the ramboxes, and it won't slide around since the area is small. No need to put it in the groceries in the back where it will just end up sliding around too and intrudes on passenger space if you've got 3+ people with you.

Santa Cruz we know will already have a very cool tonneau cover and its own little Ridgeline style trunk in the bed which is great, and even by itself it can act as its own convenient divider IMO just by leaving the tonneau cover forward, raise the "trunk" and leave it open, and voila you have a built in divider and it seems damped so hopefully it can just rest on the tonneau and not clack up and down as you're driving.

I still would want what I believe they generally call "bed extenders" somehow integrated into this area, or I'd remove the underseat storage and keep a bed extender similar to the one below under the seats (this particular one made for several different model pickups also doubles as a ramp when you fold it out fully):

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My other vehicles are a C7 and Q60 so I need a four door on occasion. Plus I like having the extra interior space and/or ability to have someone else tag along on fishing trips.

I rarely use the full bed in my current truck (Dakota Quad Cab = 5 foot bed) so a 4 foot bed will be likely be enough. Would have been nice if the Santa Cruz had a mid-gate or a slide out bed extension. However I had a Ranger Splash (Extended cab with jump seats) years ago and it had a small bed... I would just drop the tailgate for long items, honestly never needed more.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Would have been nice if the Santa Cruz had a mid-gate or a slide out bed extension.
Originally I had heard they were going to have the back glass drop like a Toyota, and since its at the exact same height as the tonneau, you could have strapped long items on top of that though the glass into the cab. Unfortunately, sounds like some penny pinchers at Hyundai got their way and we're apparently only getting a small sliding glass piece. :(

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Originally I had heard they were going to have the back glass drop like a Toyota, and since its at the exact same height as the tonneau, you could have strapped long items on top of that though the glass into the cab. Unfortunately, sounds like some penny pinchers at Hyundai got their way and we're apparently only getting a small sliding glass piece. :(
Full drop rear glass would have been awesome (y)

The little sliding window puts those support bars in the rear view mirror which is kind of annoying. However I guess having the whole glass come down would be expensive (and heavy), plus I bet people would try putting really big items inside that way. The little window limits you to just some lumber or pipe which is likely safer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts