Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hyundai has yet to provide a set production time, but recent news suggests a possible Santa Cruz build date of 2021.

We’ve ben anxiously waiting for the Santa Cruz since Hyundai first introduced its concept in 2015 at the Detroit auto show. Most would assume the wait would be a short one with all the positive reaction and feedback it received, but the model wasn’t green lit until just recently. Since then news has been scarce until now.

Reuter’s correspondent in Seoul has received news of Hyundai’s future production plans in the States. According to South Korea’s Seoul Economic Daily and their unnamed source, Hyundai is considering the possibility of moving their Tucson and Kona crossover production, along with a new pickup model, to their single U.S. plant in Alabama.

This comes at a time when passenger car sales are slumping in the U.S and the plant currently produces two sedans and one SUV model. They hope to increase the plant’s production volume from its current 380,000 vehicles to 450,000 annually.

In a statement to Reuters, Hyundai said they have made no concrete decision regarding production in the U.S. yet.

If these rumors are true, the Santa Cruz could start rolling down the Alabama assembly line in 2021.

·
Registered
113 Posts
But why the long delay from concept a few years back to production in 2021? Hyundai could have scooped up a large portion of sales because there were no competitors for the Santa Cruz, but now a lot of other companies are coining out with their own pickups and maybe even ute by the time the Cruz goes into production.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Head up everyone, looks like we have some kind of confirmation from KMAu chief operating officer Damien Meredith, he said “We’re waiting for confirmation. What they’re telling us is it’ll be here in 2021.” So from what CarsGuide has quoted, the Santa Cruz may debut or go on sale in 2021.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank god they have finally moved closer to Santa Cruz confirmation. When do you think Hyundai will announce it officially?

·
Registered
113 Posts
For all we know, we won't hear an official date until 2020 and the 2021 date is still tentative because they're still waiting for confirmation themselves. Let's hope they stick to this timeline and not push it back anymore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, then Hyundai didn't move any closer to confirmation... Hyundai plans 38 EVs as it tries to catch up with rivals, so maybe they're planning to come up with EV version of Santa Cruz truck, what do you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The more I think about it I realize that Hyundai is gonna be a day late and a dollar short. They should have come out with this thing a long time ago and I should be driving it now. I've said it before, but if it is gonna be a true truck to compete with the Ridgeline, Colorado and others then who cares. Why would you wait another 2-4 years when you could just go out and buy it now. And why take so long? 2021 is a long way away and there is so many other things that will come out from now until then. I'm actually very interested in the Tesla Model P. And that should come out relatively soon (about a 2 year timeframe). Hyundai just flat out blew it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Maybe they're considering the fact that partnering up with some other car maker is the best way around this much like what Mercedes has done with Nissan even though Merecedes already has the money to create their own from the ground up. If that's the case then i'd like to see them partner with toyota.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I doubt it, Hyundai hasn't mentioned a partnership of any kind when it comes to the Santa Cruz and it seems to late in development to go that route.
Maybe their pickup is hidden under the "diesel" model slated for release in 2019?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1998 Ford Ranger I bought new, so looking for a replacement. The new Canyon & Colorado are too big. The Santa Cruz is perfect, really a mini El Camino. Mostly car, but a pickup when you need some mulch from Lowe's. Could wait for new Ranger which looks now to beat the Santa Cruz to production, but specs show it almost the size of the Colorado/Canyon. I don't have a horse trailer to pull, give me a small pickup.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a 1998 Ford Ranger I bought new, so looking for a replacement. The new Canyon & Colorado are too big. The Santa Cruz is perfect, really a mini El Camino. Mostly car, but a pickup when you need some mulch from Lowe's. Could wait for new Ranger which looks now to beat the Santa Cruz to production, but specs show it almost the size of the Colorado/Canyon. I don't have a horse trailer to pull, give me a small pickup.
To me it seems most people are going for the Tacoma which has been the segment leader for many years in a row. Only downside is its not exactly the cheapest option and Toyota does some weird things such as drum brakes on a 2017-2018 truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just read a Jalopnik post "suggesting" the SC may be a 2019 model and a turbo diesel will be available, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm starting to have serious doubts, now that I've seen photos of the Hyundai Kona. I'm retired now, so I have to downsize. It's costing me over $2000/year (not counting fuel) to own a car and a truck. My hauling needs don't require a truck the size of my Tundra any more, so that's the first to go. When the 2019 models are available and the SC is still only being talked about, I'm going to have to trade the sedan in on a SUV, and it will, most likely, not be a Hyundai.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Teasers of the next Santa Fe along with insight of what it should be like have surfaced and it seems like here we can find DNA that will be in the next Santa Cruz.

The teaser image seems to suggest the Santa Fe will go for a slightly more upright stance and slightly more boxy look, giving it a feel somewhere between an oversized Kona and an Audi wannabe. Spy photos hint at the new Hyundai grille sported by the Veloster making its appearance here, plus narrowed headlights with large lower fog lamps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking at these post (which date back to 2015) one can't help but be discouraged about the release of the Santa Cruz. This vehicle so perfectly fits my needs, that I am doing everything possible to wait for its arrival without buying a new car. I emailed Hyundai, and they used the term "forthcoming" to describe it, and did not share any helpful information. I can not believe that they are not capitalizing on this vehicle! There is nothing like it on the market, and a swathe of millennials would elbow each other by the tens of thousands to plug their iphones into this beautiful piece of utilitarian masterwork.

·
Registered
113 Posts
One would think that is the case with smaller pickups like the Ford Ragner or Mercedes X-Class coming out, but Hyundai seems to be holding back on a market with needs that aren't being met. Frustrating to hear that they gave you such a general answer and there's only so long we're willing to wait. The interest is there from the public and the concept won so many accolades, just a matter of producing it now.

How much longer are you willing to wait for the Santa Cruz?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been reading about the Korean management, there is serious problems at the top of all Korean companies. Really old, out of touch individuals run these companies, and all they will do in the future is make a bunch of small suv's. The Santa Cruz will never happen, and Korean companies will continue to flounder. There is a serious lack of vision at Hyundai and Kia. It starts at the top.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Looking at these post (which date back to 2015) one can't help but be discouraged about the release of the Santa Cruz. This vehicle so perfectly fits my needs, that I am doing everything possible to wait for its arrival without buying a new car. I emailed Hyundai, and they used the term "forthcoming" to describe it, and did not share any helpful information. I can not believe that they are not capitalizing on this vehicle! There is nothing like it on the market, and a swathe of millennials would elbow each other by the tens of thousands to plug their iphones into this beautiful piece of utilitarian masterwork.
well to be fair, as much as I like Hyundai, brands like Toyota and now Ford are creating products that fill this segment.
for me the Santa Cruz is on the table as long as its happening, if not I have no problem going after Toyota.

Say hello to plan B:

·
Registered
113 Posts
The Tacoma is a great alternative and relativity cheap, something I too was looking into. Another option was going to be the Honda Ridgeline and now Ford is coming out with the Ranger. There's no shortage of options, though the Santa Cruz is the more unique option if it looks very similar to its concept. But we can only wait so long and I'm not too loyal to brands.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Feeling let down by Hyundai, I'm going to take this with a very tiny grain of salt. CarScoops says the Santa Cruz could arrive in 2020 at the earliest, but that's if everything goes well and there are no delays. It has been 3 years since we first saw the concept model so I'm not very hopeful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts