Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is the news we’ve been waiting for even if Hyundai won’t officially announce it until the Los Angeles or Detroit auto show.

In an interview with Motor Trend, Dave Zuchowski, president and CEO of Hyundai Motor America, said "We have made the decision, we have not made the announcement."

The last time we were reassured like this was in January, when he said that they were trying to figure out when to announce the news. June would have been a good time to make the announcement since Hyundai was already publicizing their intent to increase truck production at its plant in Montgomery, Ala, and Zuchowski was hoping to make an announcement around that time but the company wasn’t ready to do so.

At least now we know the Santa Cruz pickup is on its way and almost ready for its reveal. Motor Trend thinks it’ll join the Hyundai lineup in 2018 as a 2019 model. Earlier this month, the pickup went for a design review so a few tweaks may have been made to the concept’s award winning design and the Hyundai is close to approving a final design. We’ll probably see four full sized doors instead of those suicide doors.

Hyundai is expecting to sell around 50,000 Santa Cruz pickups a year after the initial release and external studies thinks it could be closer to 70,000. Once they hit showroom floors, we can expect to see them sell for about $25,000 a pop.

·
Registered
102 Posts

This is the news we’ve been waiting for even if Hyundai won’t officially announce it until the Los Angeles or Detroit auto show.

In an interview with Motor Trend, Dave Zuchowski, president and CEO of Hyundai Motor America, said "We have made the decision, we have not made the announcement."

The last time we were reassured like this was in January, when he said that they were trying to figure out when to announce the news. June would have been a good time to make the announcement since Hyundai was already publicizing their intent to increase truck production at its plant in Montgomery, Ala, and Zuchowski was hoping to make an announcement around that time but the company wasn’t ready to do so.

At least now we know the Santa Cruz pickup is on its way and almost ready for its reveal. Motor Trend thinks it’ll join the Hyundai lineup in 2018 as a 2019 model. Earlier this month, the pickup went for a design review so a few tweaks may have been made to the concept’s award winning design and the Hyundai is close to approving a final design. We’ll probably see four full sized doors instead of those suicide doors.

Hyundai is expecting to sell around 50,000 Santa Cruz pickups a year after the initial release and external studies thinks it could be closer to 70,000. Once they hit showroom floors, we can expect to see them sell for about $25,000 a pop.
Which means, a full two-years behind the Honda Ridgeline, which is the only real competitor, not to mention THREE-PLUS YEARS from stealing the show at NAIAS 2015. There is/was no excuse for this, since it's based on an existing vehicle. By the time it hits, I fully expect FCA and Jeep to be marketing a similar vehicle in the US. So disappointing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Which means, a full two-years behind the Honda Ridgeline, which is the only real competitor, not to mention THREE-PLUS YEARS from stealing the show at NAIAS 2015. There is/was no excuse for this, since it's based on an existing vehicle. By the time it hits, I fully expect FCA and Jeep to be marketing a similar vehicle in the US. So disappointing.
That was the first reply I've seen in a while that was well deserved to be in red coloured font :|

·
Registered
102 Posts
That was the first reply I've seen in a while that was well deserved to be in red coloured font :|
I just made it red to tie into the quote above that I also put in red. In retrospect, yeah, it's how I feel so red is apropos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keep the suicide doors!

Please keep the original design as depicted in the concept with the suicide doors! That's what will seperate the vehicle from the competition.
Don't make it another boring four door pick up type. Produce both if you have to. I will buy the suicide door version...I'll pass on the full four door.

·
Registered
113 Posts
you'd think they would release the Santa Cruz ahead of their competition since the concept was so popular and I had assumed that they've been working on the production model for a long while.

Hyundai is going to lose out on the small pickup market and they won't sell as many units as they could have.

·
Registered
728 Posts
better off buying a tacoma if you want something close enough to what the Santa Cruz is, but not entirely, since there's nothing new/somewhat new like it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That is true.. maybe just lease for now see what happens ? Still gonna be on here to keep updated of course though lol

·
Registered
728 Posts
I will lease for now because that's what I have always done, just in the market for short term no obligation ownership. Not in a rush to get the Santa Cruz, just in a rush to get into something.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So the search continues for you as well. Have you come across anything yet ? Same segment or just whatever kinda pops out at yah ?

·
Registered
285 Posts
better off buying a tacoma if you want something close enough to what the Santa Cruz is, but not entirely, since there's nothing new/somewhat new like it.
Only get a Tacoma if you need to do serious offroading. Otherwise, its not worth it for the uncomfortable interior and very truck-like driving experience. It consistently places behind the GM midsize trucks in comparisons, and now also the Ridgeline now that it has been released.

The Ridgeline is by far the best midsize truck on the market and the closest thing to Santa Cruz. Unfortunately since its so new, you probably won't find the best deal. A Colorado or Canyon is a better compromise if you are forced to get a body on frame pickup.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you're willing to wait a bit, the Ridgeline prices should go down in time and admittedly, its truck bed is great especially the extra tire space.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would definitely go with the Colorado over the Ridgeline any day to be honest. Performance alone is more than enough of a reason, as well as aesthetics which is more of a personal thing

·
Registered
728 Posts
Colorado seems to be the best bet since Chevy has had that product for a long time and overall has been successful with great feedback from passionate owners and the new generation isn't any different. Seems like Toyota dominates that space followed by GM with the Colorado.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts