Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Very honest review and comparison especial since he owns the Colorado. He gives real world examples on how both vehicles work in every day use and some adventuring. Also love how he calls out other jouranist for making assumptions and not digging into the specs themselves. As a Hyundai dealer he is clearly pro SC but owns the type of vehicle that many SC owners might be considering getting into or out of.

Surprised the SC actually has more ground clearance, more payload and more backseat room (even for a 6 foot guy). Like many I assumed the Colorado would win those categories.

The Colorado has tow mode with a trailer brake controller, more towing capacity and a bigger bed (duh), but that is about it for advantages. Not exactly a far comparisons as his Colorado is an older model without some of the newer tech, but considering its (frankly insane) MSRP the SC is a much better value.

Given the problems with GM's A8 transmission I wouldn't take a Colorado if you gave it to me. A buddy of mine bought one and immediately regretted it. He towed his race car for a few months then got rid of the truck due to the transmission problems. GM has basically admitted these transmission have a design defect and is actively using that proof to denied warranty claims :eek:

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
I test drove a Canyon AT4 last month, as part of my making sure I've looked at the competition plans. I can say very strongly (at least for me) there is no comparison between the two. It's harder to get in and out of, FAR less comfortable on the interior, handles like crap in comparison, and the back seats are worse. You can't even compare what passes for "tech" in the AT4 against the Santa Cruz. It's really two entirely different leagues. Nothing about that truck made me think it was worth my 50k. The only thing it really had in its favour vs. the SC is trailer hitch and brake availability. I guess it did have that going for it. The V6 had okay power, but you had to work it to find it. Nothing like the way that 2.5T kicks you in the backside.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
247 Posts
Given the problems with GM's A8 transmission I wouldn't take a Colorado if you gave it to me. A buddy of mine bought one and immediately regretted it. He towed his race car for a few months then got rid of the truck due to the transmission problems. GM has basically admitted these transmission have a design defect and is actively using that proof to denied warranty claims :eek:
A design defect manifests itself as a vehicle defect. How the heck can they legitimately use that to deny a warranty claim? Talk about taking hair splitting to unreal extremes? 🤥

·
Registered
896 Posts
I test drove a Canyon AT4 last month...
Your summary sounds like much every truck I've driven or been in and thus the main reason I'm more interested in a SC. If you really want a night and day difference go test drive a Wrangler... those things are horrible. I'll never understand why people pay big money for such a poor riding vehicle.

A design defect manifests itself as a vehicle defect. How the heck can they legitimately use that to deny a warranty claim? Talk about taking hair splitting to unreal extremes? 🤥
Welcome to GM. I swore I'd never own one but my C7 is amazing. They too have the A8 tranny problem but mine is a proper Corvette with a manual. Another example of GM JUNK: C7 Corvette Cracked Wheels Lawsuit Allowed To Proceed this doesn't effect me either as I immediately put lighter aftermarket track wheels on mine to get rid of the hideous chrome hoops GM sourced from lowest cost provider.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Your summary sounds like much every truck I've driven or been in and thus the main reason I'm more interested in a SC. If you really want a night and day difference go test drive a Wrangler... those things are horrible. I'll never understand why people pay big money for such a poor riding vehicle.
HA! My wife likes the look of Wranglers and just can't figure out why I've laughed loudly and said no at the very notion of them. We're not off-road rock crawlers. Why would I want to suffer through a Wrangler interior and ride for 60 grand?? All they've got going for them is low depreciation. They DO somehow hold their resale value. I still think that's more based on the reputation of old models vs. longevity of the new ones. The old Wranglers were indeed built to last, fairly reliable for the abuse they could take, and reasonably priced to repair.

Reactions: JMII

·
Administrator
77 Posts
My brother had a 2018 Colorado. It rode well in a straight line on smooth pavement and I liked the Bose audio system.

It had two significant defects:

1. The A/C would intermittently stop cooling while when the vehicle wasn't moving. He complained to the dealer several times and they could never find a cause.

2. The transmission had occasional delayed upshifts when cold causing the engine to rev higher than normal followed by a harsh upshift. He complained to the dealer several times about this as well and they said they could never duplicate the concern. They eventually replaced the transmission fluid with an updated spec per a TSB which improved, but did not eliminate the issue.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You got that right! Even as a passenger in a friends, I thought I was going to puke from the bouncing around. 🤮

The Grand Cherokee is much better and one of my alternatives to the SC. Trailhawks can be had for the MSRP price of a SC Limited. I was surprised when comparing the size of each that the Jeep Grand Cherokee is actually shorter than the SC.

·
Registered
861 Posts
2. The transmission had occasional delayed upshifts when cold causing the engine to rev higher than normal followed by a harsh upshift.
That's actually a Chevrolet design "feature" - our 2020 Equinox does the same thing when cold. It's intended to help bring everything up to temperature faster. First time it did that to my wife last winter she was worried about it acting funny. Had to do a little digging to find out it's designed that way. Well, maybe not so much the harsh upshift, but definitely the delayed shifts and higher revs when cold. Chevy also defines "cold" as 0C/32F. Any point below which their transmission will also magically lose top gear(s). Our 6 speed Equinox turns into a 5 speed from November through March, with few exceptions. Had to take it to the dealer to investigate before they came back with that little tidbit, and the TSB that defined the 32F/0C "cold" point where 6th gear could be disabled to prevent freezing. You can't make that up. If you're system is that bloody delicate, maybe don't sell it in cold countries.

·
Registered
896 Posts
They eventually replaced the transmission fluid with an updated spec per a TSB which improved, but did not eliminate the issue.
That is the cure GM gives to C7 owners as well. They actually need to triple flush the fluid. Owners report some success afterwards, but given there is a lawsuit over the tranny best to avoid it.

Stuff like that is one of the reasons I tend to buy used vehicles - let someone else find the bugs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts